Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

martyhimself

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2010
I love my iPad Air 2, and I was hoping to upgrade to the new iPad Pro.

I am able to afford the tablet and I don't mind paying an Apple 'premium' because I know it will pay itself back in terms of reliability, resale value and what not.

However, for me, the recent iPad Pro price points cross over into the 'obscene'.

Over here in the UK the 128Gb / 8Gb Surface Go was available last weekend with a keyboard for £509. The iPad Pro (256Gb / 4Gb with Smart Keyboard Folio, which I think is a fair comparison) comes to a whopping £1098.

That's over double the price for a 'computer' with a crippled OS. If I knew it would be a good future investment because Apple is planning a major overhaul of iOS I may be persuaded.

Does anyone else find it impossible to justify purchasing Apple products anymore?

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia

I am able to afford the tablet and I don't mind paying an Apple 'premium' because I know it will pay itself back in terms of reliability, resale value and what not.

However, for me, the recent iPad Pro price points cross over into the 'obscene'.

Over here in the UK the 128Gb / 8Gb Surface Go was available last weekend with a keyboard for £509. The iPad Pro (256Gb / 4Gb with Smart Keyboard Folio, which I think is a fair comparison) comes to a whopping £1098.

That's over double the price for a 'computer' with a crippled OS. If I knew it would be a good future investment because Apple is planning a major overhaul of iOS I may be persuaded.

Does anyone else find it impossible to justify purchasing Apple products anymore?

I think it’s obvious it’s not a good value for you. I can justify it because the iPad is essential to my work and I prefer its illustration capabilities and apps to the Surface Pro. I also think it’s better as a tablet, but if you’re just looking for something to take notes on - then there are more valuable options. For example, the regular iPad is great, too.

secretk

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2018
I think it’s obvious it’s not a good value for you. I can justify it because the iPad is essential to my work and I prefer its illustration capabilities and apps to the Surface Pro. I also think it’s better as a tablet, but if you’re just looking for something to take notes on - then there are more valuable options. For example, the regular iPad is great, too.

Yeah you are right. If you use it for work it might be a good investment. And for people that do not use it like that, the regular 2018 iPad is not that bad. I have it as I can't justify paying the price of the Pro (even the previous model). I don't use the iPad enough. I do like the regular though and I use it enough for the money I paid.

martyhimself

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2010
Lots of great replies. I suppose if you are an illustrator like @aevan it could be a good value proposition.

Like many people I suppose I just wished I would be able to use it as my main computer as it is such a brilliant form factor. Or even have it run full MacOS when docked at home (it should be more than capable of doing so).

I think it's just such a missed opportunity for Apple.

Reactions: aevan

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013

Is it fair? No. Obscene? Depends on how you look at it. It’s Apple. iPhone sales growth has slowed. So has iPad sales. I think these price increases were inevitable. Helps compensate and maintain their bottom line. But they do offer various options to give customers choices at least. The regular iPad with pencil support for $329 is a bargain. Especially if you’re coming from an iPad Air 2. Sure the iPad pros are a lot more expensive, but do you really need the extra speed & new pencil? I know many artists who aren’t upgrading or going for the previous 10.5” model. So you have options. If you can wait until March, Apple should be updating the regular iPad and possibly the iPad mini. But the A10 processor in the current $329 iPad should last you a good long time.

I wouldn’t fret over it. I am certainly not leaving Apple over the recent price increases. I think people will just keep their devices longer. Apple will adjust accordingly, and I am sure will offer a wide range of products and prices.

I am a professional artist, and am coming from an old iPad mini 2 and iPad Air 2 as well. So the upgrade to one of the new pros will pay for itself within the year. If I was just buying an iPad for media consumption, and didn’t want to splurge on a new Pro...I might get the old 10.5” or the $329 iPad and be completely happy. So my advice is get what you need, and use it for many years to come and be happy.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2012
Apple has focused a lot on "bifurcating" its products into expensive, premium versions and more base versions. 98% of people would probably be happy with the base version, but the mere existence of the premium version is making people unhappy with their purchase. This is doubly true for the iPad - the Pro is really overkill for most iPad usage, but people want to avoid buying the regular iPad...

Reactions: Hastings101

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Lots of great replies. I suppose if you are an illustrator like @aevan it could be a good value proposition.

Like many people I suppose I just wished I would be able to use it as my main computer as it is such a brilliant form factor. Or even have it run full MacOS when docked at home (it should be more than capable of doing so).

I think it's just such a missed opportunity for Apple.

I think there are just too many compromises to adding touch to macOS, that it will never come. I would expect Apple to continue to add productivity features and differentiate the iPad even further from the iPhone in the next 3-5 years. I am lucky enough to be able to use mine as my main computer and it has been such a freeing experience, but I get that it's not for everyone. I expect iPad to continue to cannibalize the Mac though.

Reactions: martyhimself

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
Obscene sounds about right. Alternatively, ridiculous. However, Apple knows they have a loyal customer base that tolerates such pricing, be it for quality and/or dependability. But I say it could still be both without the very high price tag.

Reactions: rbrian

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida

Sounds like it is time for you to move on. Apple has never been the "value" device, I do not think they want to be!

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2011

Reliability, sure. Those of us who purchased a 10.5 last year can tell you that resale value ain't what it used to be. The market is saturated with tablets. The "obscene" pricing is because Apple can't sell as many tablets as they once did, so they've got to go up by, what was it 30%(?) in order to maintain the bottom line. If the Surface Pro is cheaper and meets more of your needs than an iPad, why wouldn't you buy it?

djas

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2018
For the first time since the beginnings of both the iPhone & iPad, I'm not upgrading. Going to hold on to my iPhone X & iPP 12.9 & see where the wind blows. The new prices just don't rest well with me. Unfortunate.

Cloysterpeteuk

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2010

I’ve just upgraded my Air 2 for a new Pro 10.5”, it does everything the 11” does and it cost me £509 over £250 cheaper than the new 11”. In some ways this is a better model for me I don’t have to deal with apps with borders and this model is compatible with the Logitech charging base, something I’ve always wanted on iPad so I’m not messing around with the cable for charging.

I’m more than happy to stick with year old tech if it means I save serious money. But then I would have happily kept my Air 2 which runs brilliant, problem is it’s been so heavily used the battery has died a death.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
You don't have to get the highest end iPad. The lower end iPads are comparable to the higher end models of a few years ago and are actually cheaper I believe.

I think the new iPad Pro's are fantastic but my use case is mostly entertainment. I use it to play games, surf the internet, go on social media and watch some youtube. On trips, I would watch TV and movies on it during flights. For these uses, it is far and away my preferred device for those things and I use it daily.

For work it's most definitely not a desktop/laptop replacement for me anyway at this point. I need to run databases and reporting tools and the iPad can't do that. In addition, even the 12.9 inch model is too small for long term daily work usage for me. I could use it in a pinch maybe by using Google Remote Desktop but ugh.

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010
The surface go isn’t a competitor to the iPad Pro for be because I want a tablet that is great at being a tablet.

So no I don’t find the iPad Pro to be obscenely priced because it is significantly better than the 329 iPad and is hands down the best table ton the market.

JohnnyGo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2009
Not for me. I am happy with the features of the Pro and the new design. The price is high, but as you said, the quality, reliability, and resale value is great. If you are happy with the Air 2, the $329 (US) iPad is likely the better option for you.

+1

YMMV but I am really impressed with my new IPP 11”

Using it with a regular Bluetooth keyboard (Logitech 480 $20) feels like a touchscreen mac sans Excel (that’s the holy grail). But Safari feels faster, email is a breeze, PDF look amazing (the screen is the best).

Using in my hands, like right now, feels like the perfect couch computer. SJ would be proud.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken

I do. I have found it impossible to justify purchasing Apple products in the future given the current direction things are going in. They don't offer enough value to me for the price. The alternatives I'm shifting toward offer more of what I'm looking for, at comparable quality, at much lower prices. Hats off to those who still find value in Apple's current products.

martyhimself

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2010
I always scratch my head at these types of threads. Companies charge premium prices for premium products. Is a BMW or Lexus obscenely priced compared to a Honda or a Toyota? After all, they both do the same thing.

I sort of tend to agree with you (and @Newtons Apple for that matter) in general. A premium brand and experience command a premium price tag. However, in this case, the premium is starting to feel unjustified to me.

A BMW is arguably a much better driving experience than a Toyota. The new iPad Pro is like an F1 car on the cheapest tires you can get at Kwik Fit :).
[doublepost=1543356483][/doublepost]
Rumor has it iOS 13 is bringing some big changes to iOS

If that's the case I would buy it in a heartbeat. I don't understand for the life of me why Apple would not just reassure potential buyers this will be the case.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I sort of tend to agree with you (and @Newtons Apple for that matter) in general. A premium brand and experience command a premium price tag. However, in this case, the premium is starting to feel unjustified to me.

A BMW is arguably a much better driving experience than a Toyota. The new iPad Pro is like an F1 car on the cheapest tires you can get at Kwik Fit :).
[doublepost=1543356483][/doublepost]

If that's the case I would buy it in a heartbeat. I don't understand for the life of me why Apple would not just reassure potential buyers this will be the case.
Because they simply don’t need to and from a business point of view wouldn’t make much sense

Reactions: tromboneaholic

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014
For the first time since the beginnings of both the iPhone & iPad, I'm not upgrading. Going to hold on to my iPhone X & iPP 12.9 & see where the wind blows. The new prices just don't rest well with me. Unfortunate.

Same! I’ve always had that upgrade itch. I haven’t experienced it at all with the new iPhones and iPads. I looked at the XR yesterday and I can barely tell the difference in screen size. Plus no true blacks, and I like that with OLED on my iPhone X with the Qualcomm modem. The Max is God awful big, like Oh Mylanta. Was immediately turned off.

Also sticking with my cellular 10.5. They don’t the actual rose gold devices anymore, sadly. Out of all the colors they’ve ever offered, rose gold is my favorite one. Speakers on it are awesome. People have said they’re not as good on the new iPads. Durability... 10.5 seems stronger. The size of the bezels don’t bother me unlike previous models.

Apple has the right idea with the new iPad design but they also should’ve increased durability as well as kept the headphone jack in it. I hate dongles. You have to remember to take it with you if you need them. If you forget, tough luck. People use Square. No headphone jack access? No Square adapter. Cards can be entered manually but it’s a pain.

Someone in another forum stated there are people who state their opinions but have never went to the Apple store to hold it. Yesterday while I was waiting for my Genius Bar Appointment, I tested out all of the new devices, even the MacBooks. People have said it feels cheap and I have to highly agree. I was quite disappointed with the look and feel. I did have the guts to apply a little pressure to see if it would bend. I barely attempted and it was bending. The middle of the iPad felt like it was empty.

For people that like the new iPad, that’s awesome. I hope it works out for them and turns out to be worth the money but for most, the value of the iPad isn’t there.

The base (Wi-Fi only) price of the new iPad equals out to almost 5 and a half months worth of car payments for me. I spent a lot less on my 10.5... plus it’s cellular and got to pick out my favorite color that they’ve ever offered.

I’m wondering what Apple is going to do with this issue... if they even decide to do anything.

I’ve just upgraded my Air 2 for a new Pro 10.5”, it does everything the 11” does and it cost me £509 over £250 cheaper than the new 11”. In some ways this is a better model for me I don’t have to deal with apps with borders and this model is compatible with the Logitech charging base, something I’ve always wanted on iPad so I’m not messing around with the cable for charging.

I’m more than happy to stick with year old tech if it means I save serious money. But then I would have happily kept my Air 2 which runs brilliant, problem is it’s been so heavily used the battery has died a death.

I could not agree with you more.

Reactions: p8blr
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.