Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rastalin94

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2002
Right before the Holidays past I had decided that my next computer was going to be a Mac. This after years of being a PC user, and three years running a medium sized Windows NT 4.0 Network. After visiting a Mac store and the release of the iMac I not only knew I wanted a Mac I now knew which one. Since than I have begun searching the web for Mac web sites and started going through the forums. I have noticed a big difference between the PC forums I use to partake in and the Mac forums I have been reading for the past month. It seems over all that posts made on Mac forums seem to be more thought out and better written. As an outside observer I am lead to believe that the typical Macintosh user is..... well how can I put this......... a little more "refined" overall than the average PC user. To me it almost seems to speak better of Apple and their products than any Keynote can. If you look at the consumers of a product it will give you an idea of what exactly they are selling. The feeling I am getting of the average Mac user is that they are intelligent, open minded, and educated (I do not mean just formal schooling, educated as in enjoy acquiring knowledge simply for ones own desire). If Apple's products were as horrible as PC users often describe them as, that would contradict my research of the profile of a Mac user. If they were crap someone I have described as a Mac user would be able to figure that out rather quickly. It seems the PC user is worried more about the speed, size, and power of their machine than what they will actually accomplish with it. A Mac user seems more interested in purchasing a finely tuned piece of machinery with the goal of creation being the driving force for owning a computer, and less about what total RAM you have. I guess my point is it seems like you guys have this secret and no matter how hard you try to tell PC users, they just do not get it. Its not about the size of your computer, its about how you use it ;)

menoinjun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2001
-i like this guy!!

Bingo!! i try to tell exactly what you just said to the customers at CompUSA, and all I get are belidgerant a@#holes that refuse to even touch a mac.

Their loss!

-pete

ThlayliTheFierce

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
no kidding

If the people in that other forum are anything to go by, then I'd have to agree. I've noticed this too. What are usually the first words out of a PC-enthusiasts mouth when you ask about Macs? "Macs suck!" What does a Mac user say? "Macs are superior because ...". Thank you, by the way, for raising my self esteem a bit.

kaisera

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2001
Amen

A MEN to that on multiple levels.

It's 3am, so I am not as articulate as i could be :)

kaisera

yanny

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2001
Well said..

One point I would like to add is that as Mac users, we are willing to take and tolerate all the other stupid comment that PC users normally make. It just a matter of choice because I know I can get some work done and have fun at the same time on the Mac.

By the way, if Macs suck then PC swallow!

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
seeing the light...

I really enjoy seeing people open up their minds to this whole Macintosh thing....especially when they are from the PC world. If it was simply this site alone that helped rastalin94 realize what Macs are all about and to ignore the typical Mhz bs (etc., etc...), than kudos to him!

Set forth and spread the word for us all...

so that Apple may gain that xtra 5% market share!!

rastalin94

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2002
There is one little thing I should add that does give me a slight bias toward Apple. In 1986 I had an Apple IIGS. This was basically a color Mac without hard drive but a full GUI. When I got my frist PC in 1994 I felt like I was taking a huge step backward. I guess this is more like me returning to the mothership.

nubneck

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2001
From another new convert

As someone who has also just moved over to mac (after working with only PCs in the past), I really have to agree with everything said above. After getting a mac, I just feel like my time with my computer is better spent...An analogy I often use is cars: Although both a taxi cab and a Porche will get you down the road and back, it's just so much more enjoyable to drive the Porche. While there are many features of the mac that are clearly nicer than the PC, there's also just a "feel" to something that has been carefully engineered - It's hard to define, really. You sort of feel like the designers had you in mind. It makes everything you use it for more enjoyable - from editing documents, to playing music, to internet stuff. I was a bit aprehensive when I first decided to switch over to Macs, and now I just can't say enough about them. Money well spent!

crassusad44

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2001
Scandinavia
to rastalin94&nubneck

WELCOME TO THE MAC FAMILY!!! :)

It was so cool to read your comments. I have been a Mac user for a long time, but I also know how it is on "the other side". One thing I have noticed over the years, is that PC users are more concerned over how many FPS they get in Quake, than what they can do with their computer. An average PC user may brag about the MHz of their PC. A Mac user will brag about the stunning 3D scene he/she just created. So cool to see I'm not the only one who has noticed this...

:D:D:D

voicegy

macrumors 65816
Come on over, the Aqua's fine!

The Apple "spell"

(I've posted this elsewhere on the board days ago, but this post compelled me to repeat myself...forgive!)

There are so few companies where we get this worked up over their products.

Certainly no other COMPUTER company, that's for sure. (some car companies, of course!)

There is ONE other company that I have an equal passion for and would, if they had such things, discuss rumors on various
sites and look forward to keynotespeeches made by their CEO...
and that's Bang & Olufsen.

You see, all of us here in these forums GET IT. We GET how our dreams have been realized by the combination of art and
science. When combined, the effect is spellbinding, giving us both the satisfaction of thinking to ourselves "Yes, they did it
right," plus the extra added thrill of "Wow...I didn't think of that!"

We're not simply geeks who dig computers and gadgets. Apple fans GET the beauty of the machines, the
user-friendly-ness of the devices that they put out, the elegance, the simplicity, the user empowerment, the, dare I say,
"soul" of the machines that Apple so lovingly puts in. I'm in the education business (San Diego Unified) and when I see
the difference in how my "clients" refer to and treat their Macs compared to PeeCee owners, well, it's more of a
"relationship" they have with them than just a machine to use.

I think you can all relate. And, to me, the only other company (that took something like home entertainment...stereos and
tv's and such) and applied the same ease-of-use, artistic flair and "soul" that Apple takes with their computers, is Bang &
Olufsen, hands down.

Advanced technology, in the end, should serve the user in the easiest, most elegant and ergonomic way possible. Wrap it
up in packages that please the eye and "want" to be touched, and you end up with devices that will always attract a certain
percentage of the planet.

The percentage, represented here on these forums, that GET it. And now you, rastalin94, get to experience that giddy rush as
well. Here's to the companies like Apple that give us such, well, joy.

Apple computer user/owner since the Apple IIc...

Respectfully,
Scott

U

Unregistered

Macs VS PCs

Its interesting to note that how you MAC guys are gloating over PCs and PCs over MACs.

Computers are tools. How you use each one depends on how you use it.

For me I can navigate from a PC under the GUI without touching the Mouse. For example if I wanted to go to a website or go to a specific file directory; I can click start r and type in the url or file directory and bam Im there.

My Mac colleague was cringing at me because I didnt touch my mouse.

With a Mac Im forced to move my hands off the keyboard and use the mouse to do the same thing.

Sure I can use Applescript, that takes way to too long to do it.

It would be nice if Apple used the Browser pardigm under Finder. Even cooler would be an address bar to tell where you exactly are

But in fairness. I more of a keyboard person; Macs guys live and die by their mouse. Its what to you used to.

rastalin94

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2002
Vociegy I just want to say thank you. That post summed up exactly what I have beening trying to explain to everyone, but could never put into words. Plus now I know that even if I am crazy for feeling this way, at least I am not alone. It feels like being a kid again and you just can not wait till you have done enough chores around the house to pay for it :)

palala

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2002
Long Island
Keyboards and mice

The mouse is what set apple apart so many years ago, providing a GUI so people didn't have to type in commands. It is certainly still part of the machine today (as with PCs) but it is not the only thing Mac users know how to use. I used to navigate the system all the time with just the keyboard under OS9, and even more under X. The mouse is a great tool, a creative tool, but is not required to accomplish what you would want to do, and you don't need to get into scripting either. I think you should try doing what you want to do with X, you will be pleasantly surprised.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.