Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.
Status
Not open for further replies.

m11rphy

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2009
Not necessarily, but you can't boot Catalina or Catalina Recovery without -no_compat_check, so you need at least a createinstallmedia USB key of Mojave for every time you clear NVRAM or have a problem.
Understood thanks

yurc

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2016
inside your DSDT
Use a wired keyboard, BT keyboards sometimes take too much time to be ready and don't work for keyboard boot shortcuts.

I can confirm, I have successfully executing various boot command, such as accessing recovery, disabling SIP, reset NVRAM etc, using apple wireless keyboard with numeric keypad by routing bluetooth into external SMA antenna mod. All bluetooth lag culprit was caused by stock bluetooth antenna on square PCIe bracket which is terrible as hell.

I bought that keyboard since Mojave because I’m prefer black cap keys rather than already yellowish old stock wired keyboard.

I was able put no compatibility check boot args under recovery terminal just now.

Last edited:

mike.101

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2014
I installed the last Calalina beta on a supported mac then moved it to my MacPro 5,1. Everything works as usual except when I try to boot into "Safe Mode", I get this screen:
Safe Mode.jpg

Has anyone else seen this?

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Well that's not going to change unless Intel rescinded their EOL for the associated processor microcode support (and Catalina is too far along in the development cycle in any case).
I don't have any hopes, MP5,1 official support is totally dead and I just posted that was blocked since people asks. While recognising it, I'm glad that Apple did not make Catalina incompatible with MP5,1 and it works nicely with an updated AirPort Extreme AC and a Westmere Xeon* and just -no_compat_check for boot and VMM emulation for updates.

*Gulftown Xeons with dual processor trays have the stuttering audio problem since 10.14.3.

Claywd

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2012
Has anyone explored patching the installer to remove the block for the mp51 model like we used to do?

Additionally, we once we able to remove the block in the handoff kext to enable the mp51 to support airdrop + handoff + blah blah by removing some entries use a hex editor and then repacking the kext and dropping it in place of the problem kext.

Anybody explored this as an option?

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Has anyone explored patching the installer to remove the block for the mp51 model like we used to do?

Additionally, we once we able to remove the block in the handoff kext to enable the mp51 to support airdrop + handoff + blah blah by removing some entries use a hex editor and then repacking the kext and dropping it in place of the problem kext.

Anybody explored this as an option?

Just go to this thread, and read all about it....
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/macos-10-15-catalina-on-unsupported-macs.2183772/

And btw, Handoff, Airdrop, and ”blah blah blah” have been working on the 5,1 from the jump as long as you upgrade your Airport/BT card to a supported model...

This thread focuses on installing Catalina without the need to patch.

Choose your poison...

Last edited:

eksu

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2017
Just like with a Mac Mini 2012 and an external drive, I'm unable to install Catalina DP7 onto my RawDisk VM. It stops after dumping 7GB of data into the HFS+ partition and then trying to reboot (presumably to make things APFS and create a second volume?).

Is this the same experience others are having? Was looking forward to this VM method rather than copying disks around.

Also, unrelated, I'm looking into seeing if I can get VMWare to boot a raw disk from a UEFI windows install or not.

sveng

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2011
Germany
So when I use the method with installing Catalina via a newer Mac on a ssd, I would need to boot that ssd on the newer Mac every time there is an update for Catalina available? :(

Thought about getting a Metal Supported AMD Card, but I guess I would stick with Mojave then.

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
So when I use the method with installing Catalina via a newer Mac on a ssd, I would need to boot that ssd on the newer Mac every time there is an update for Catalina available? :(

Thought about getting a Metal Supported AMD Card, but I guess I would stick with Mojave then.
Yes, I explained that before here. Anyway, a VMM emulation patch exist and works.

sveng

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2011
Germany
Yes, I explained that before here. Anyway, a VMM emulation patch exist and works.
Thanks for the reply tsialex! I know it that the VMM Method works, but it is still a log of hassle :-(
How does Updating work when using the dosdude Patcher?

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Thanks for the reply tsialex! I know it that the VMM Method works, but it is still a log of hassle :-(
How does Updating work when using the dosdude Patcher?
That's a question for other people in the thread since I don't use it, but I know that the dosdude1 patcher uses the CZO patch for VMM emulation.

Just a related comment here, I test every release and I like Catalina a lot, but I'm in no way installing it as my main OS, I'll do that down the road, but not now.

Last edited:
Reactions: JedNZ

sveng

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2011
Germany
Thanks!

Would be nice to hear from someone who uses the patcher method :)
I guess since the newest Xcode Version will still run on Mojave (as it should), I also would have no problem sticking with Mojave.

Flacko

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2018
UK
Thanks!

Would be nice to hear from someone who uses the patcher method :)
I guess since the newest Xcode Version will still run on Mojave (as it should), I also would have no problem sticking with Mojave.
Hi, I have been using the patcher method and it works well. Version 1.1.0 is the latest and it allows you to prevent any patching post install. So run the patcher and then before letting it install/build usb select options from the menu bar. Untick the software APFS as the cMP5.1 does not need this and then tick the option to prevent any post install patching as the cMP5.1 does not need it either (I have updated BT/WiFi card). I always make a USB patcher drive as this is useful as a recovery device. Boot to the usb and install Catalina as required. You can download a copy of Catalina via the installer or use your own Catalina installer download so no need to install via another computer. For B7 I let it install over a clone of my Mojave drive and all is working ok. Just let it do its own thing and when I returned the Catalina login was waiting for me. Checking the extensions in system report shows all are from Apple or Identified developers. SIP remains enabled. I do not have boot screen so just selected the usb as the startup disk in system preferences.

Flacko

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2018
UK
So to be precise on this...

You DID disable SIP first to run the boot args? Then enabled SIP again. Next rebooted and proceeded with the install, all with SIP enabled?
That is a good question. The boot args was set during an early install of Catalina using the dosdude installer. It was set automatically for the early betas by the patcher and I have not reset the pram since so I still have it set. If you do not apply any patches then SIP remains enabled for the later dosdude installers as you have the option not to patch the system. The dosdude installer automatically keeps SIP disabled if you are using patches as it does on my cMP3.1 which incidentally runs Catalina very well. Note that since patcher 1.0b3 dosdude states that there is no need to set the boot args. So I would try just booting to the patcher usb (made with APFS patch deselected and not to post install patch selected in options). Install to a dedicated experimental drive and see what happens.

Reactions: crjackson2134

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
That is a good question. The boot args was set during an early install of Catalina using the dosdude installer. It was set automatically for the early betas by the patcher and I have not reset the pram since so I still have it set. If you do not apply any patches then SIP remains enabled for the later dosdude installers as you have the option not to patch the system. The dosdude installer automatically keeps SIP disabled if you are using patches as it does on my cMP3.1 which incidentally runs Catalina very well. Note that since patcher 1.0b3 dosdude states that there is no need to set the boot args. So I would try just booting to the patcher usb (made with APFS patch deselected and not to post install patch selected in options). Install to a dedicated experimental drive and see what happens.

Thanks, so this sounds like we can now use a dosdude1 created Catalina USB stick AS a rescue/recovery tool. No more messing with boot args or SIP. Does that about sum it up?

That's quite surprising to hear, I would have expected the "-no_compat_check" to always be required prior to do a new install. I think perhaps it may be a different situation between the cMP31 vs the CMP51.

Anyway, this is the wrong place to discuss the patcher method I think.

Last edited:

Flacko

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2018
UK
Thanks, so this sounds like we can now use a dosdude1 created Catalina USB stick AS a rescue/recovery tool. No more messing with boot args or SIP. Does that about sum it up?

That's quite surprising to hear, I would have expected the "-no_compat_check" to always be required prior to do a new install. I think perhaps it may be a different situation between the cMP31 vs the CMP51.

Anyway, this is the wrong place to discuss the patcher method I think.
Yes it is another way to get Catalina on the cMP5.1 especially if you do not have access to a supported machine and there is a very active thread for “unsupported” macs. The patcher is also useful if you want night shift and to get the old Wi-Fi working in Catalina.

sveng

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2011
Germany
Hi, I have been using the patcher method and it works well. Version 1.1.0 is the latest and it allows you to prevent any patching post install. So run the patcher and then before letting it install/build usb select options from the menu bar. Untick the software APFS as the cMP5.1 does not need this and then tick the...

Thanks!
So what about updates? Can you just install them via the system updater/ AppStore?

Since you don’t have boot screen (neither do I) how will you select the usb drive when you would need to recover?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.