Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.
Status
Not open for further replies.

w1z

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2013
Catalina point updates won't work, since updates check the board-id just like the full install. There are at least 3 ways to overcome it, like:

• reinstalling the disk in a supported Mac and doing the software updates
  • using VMWare Fusion direct hardware trick to do the updates
  • CZO VMM patch.
With the VMM patch, you won't have a pure un-patched system, but it will make things easier. It needs to be updated to Catalina and refined a little, but works.

I've been using VMWare Fusion direct hardware from Mojave/High Sierra to do Catalina DP updates and it's a little cumbersome initially, but it's easy enough to do it if you want to run totally un-patched and you can use it with NVMe blades.
Great, so normal updates won't be an issue with the vmware method.

Thanks for the confirmation.

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Great, so normal updates won't be an issue with the vmware method.

Thanks for the confirmation.
Yes, you just run your Catalina disk as a direct hardware VM and do the update. Since it's running as a VM again, the board-id validation is bypassed and the updates installed.

Reactions: w1z

cdf

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2012
Since it's running as a VM again, the board-id validation is bypassed and the updates installed.

I'm curious about something: When running as a VM, are the system properties (like board-id, model identifier, serial number, UUID, etc.) changed? If so, does this pose a problem for Messages (a problem that would eventually lead to blacklisting the unvirtualized system)?

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
I'm curious about something: When running as a VM, are the system properties (like board-id, model identifier, serial number, UUID, etc.) changed? If so, does this pose a problem for Messages (a problem that would eventually lead to blacklisting the unvirtualized system)?
You only runs your main disk as a VM with direct hardware trick, to install or upgrade. The distribution file checks for the VMM processor flag and bypass the board-id check, doing the install/upgrade.

When you running it as bare metal, nothing changes.

BTW, there are ways to send the SSN and board-ID to the VM, so iMessage works even when you are upgrading. I don't think that we will need it, but it's something that you can do and you can always log-off iMessage before doing the upgrade.

Reactions: cdf

PeterHolbrook

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2009
Can anyone comment on the advisability or feasibility of changing one or more property lists (plist) on the Catalina installer so that it will install without resorting to NVRAM arguments? Or, perhaps more conveniently, would changing one or more plist's in the installed Catalina itself allow it to run on a Mac Pro 5,1 without compatibility NVRAM arguments? Might that, in addition, solve the Software Update issue?

Lycestra

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2018
Cheesy Midwest
Something I found interesting. Parallels 15, which now has Metal support, asked if I wanted to update to Catalina. Update ran without a hitch. This is my Mac Pro 4,1 that's updated to run Mojave. It natively can't be updated in this way, but Parallels made the installer think it's fine. Screenshot of Software Update and System Info within the VM

Attachments

• parallels_catalina.jpg
    parallels_catalina.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 267

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
@Lycestra Looks like just your virtual machine was updated from Mojave to Catalina, which is not at all shocking. What primary OS are you running on the MP?

Charmandrigo

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2018
Does the Catalina Loader script allows to update the Mojave system on my current AFPS disk? Or I have to use a new drive to install it?

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2013
London UK
one interesting thing I noticed on my MacBook Pro is that it now says "Quad Core intel Core i7" in about this Mac rather than "Core i7" previously, I imagine this might be something to do with the fact that "Core i7" could mean to be a CPU with 2 all the way to 8 cores now

and on that im curious what the iMac Pro says in catalina

since they for some reason just say "Xeon W" which I found odd at the time, as previous Xeon CPUs would list their core count in about this mac, so I wonder if the about this mac description has been updated accordingly with catalina

(and it will be interesting to see what the new Mac Pro says in about this mac :) )

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Can anyone comment on the advisability or feasibility of changing one or more property lists (plist) on the Catalina installer so that it will install without resorting to NVRAM arguments? Or, perhaps more conveniently, would changing one or more plist's in the installed Catalina itself allow it to run on a Mac Pro 5,1 without compatibility NVRAM arguments?
It's not possible since the installer checks the signatures and rejects it. What you want is a patched system like dosdude1 one.

Might that, in addition, solve the Software Update issue?
The board-id is defined by hardware and checked with every distribution file inside every update.

Seems you didn't understand why this thread exists, it's to use a totally un-patched Catalina install with MP5,1. If you want to patch it and live with the problems of a patched system, just use dosdude1 patcher, no need to re-invent it.

PeterHolbrook

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2009
Seems you didn't understand why this thread exists, it's to use a totally un-patched Catalina install with MP5,1.
I fail to see how you can claim that it "seems" I don't understand why this thread exists. I understand perfectly, and I know what dosdude1's patcher does. I may use that, but I simply would prefer not to have a NVRAM with debugging arguments. I was asking for a comment on the advisability or feasibility of not using that. You've now made the relevant comment, and I thank you for that.

Can you clarify the use of a physical Catalina on a virtual machine so that Software Update will work? How would such a virtual machine run? Using Fusion running in Mojave?

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
I fail to see how you can claim that it "seems" I don't understand why this thread exists. I understand perfectly, and I know what dosdude1's patcher does. I may use that, but I simply would prefer not to have a NVRAM with debugging arguments. I was asking for a comment on the advisability or feasibility of not using that. You've now made the relevant comment, and I thank you for that.

If you don't want to use -no_compat_check, you will have to use a totally patched macOS install like dosdude1 patcher that disables every check and validation that Apple implemented and will stop working at every point update since updates re-enables the checks and validations. Or you can get your hands dirty and install Catalina manually, package by package disabling the checks/validations yourself, I know at least one developer that does this way.

Can you clarify the use of a physical Catalina on a virtual machine so that Software Update will work? How would such a virtual machine run? Using Fusion running in Mojave?

I explained in detail the mechanics of the updates while running in a VM, please go back a page or two.

You run your Catalina disk as a VM using the VMWare Fusion direct hardware trick that I explained in the beginning of the thread, begins with post #107.

Reactions: PeterHolbrook

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
Something I found interesting. Parallels 15, which now has Metal support, asked if I wanted to update to Catalina. Update ran without a hitch. This is my Mac Pro 4,1 that's updated to run Mojave. It natively can't be updated in this way, but Parallels made the installer think it's fine. Screenshot of Software Update and System Info within the VM

In addition to this being a Virtual Machine (which is known to work), Parallels doesn't provide Metal to macOS guests. It will only run DirectX under Windows. You can tell in that screenshot that macOS is not being Metal accelerated in that VM.

Catalina does not require Metal under a VM though.

yukdave

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2017
Dash Point, WA
Can I backup my boot drive with Mojave on it using super duper to an external USB drive, perform the update to Catalina on the external USB drive connected to my 2018 MacBook Pro and then use super duper to clone it back to the NVME boot drive in my Mac Pro 5,1?

My Boot Drive with the OS is on a separate NVME than my Data Drive. With that in mind I backup the drives every week using Super Duper.

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Can I backup my boot drive with Mojave on it using super duper to an external USB drive, perform the update to Catalina on the external USB drive connected to my 2018 MacBook Pro and then use super duper to clone it back to the NVME boot drive in my Mac Pro 5,1?

My Boot Drive with the OS is on a separate NVME than my Data Drive. With that in mind I backup the drives every week using Super Duper.
It will probably work fine.

The thing is, do you really want to exchange the stability of 10.14.6 for 10.15.0? Catalina is not ready for prime time…

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012

Someone had or reported some issues with the DP/beta and doing this, but I really think it was an issue with the clone. Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) semi-recently updated to support Catalina features and believe corrected for this.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Someone had or reported some issues with the DP/beta and doing this, but I really think it was an issue with the clone. Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) semi-recently updated to support Catalina features and believe corrected for this.

Correct... There were some MAJOR issues related to the way Catalina implements APFS directory structures, and this resulted in a non-bootable clone(attempt). It has been a work in progress on CCC and I don't believe it works in SuperDuper. I haven't tried it as I have no need to, but there are lots of little things that need to be worked out before ditching any macOS in favor of Catalina.

Lycestra

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2018
Cheesy Midwest
@Lycestra Looks like just your virtual machine was updated from Mojave to Catalina, which is not at all shocking. What primary OS are you running on the MP?

Running Mojave. Thought it might be more shocking since Catalina won't install without lots of fiddling (as covered elsewhere in the thread) but the installer was still ok with the VM's semi-native hardware and virtualized hardware lies, thinking "Yeah, this is compatible".

In addition to this being a Virtual Machine (which is known to work), Parallels doesn't provide Metal to macOS guests. It will only run DirectX under Windows. You can tell in that screenshot that macOS is not being Metal accelerated in that VM.

Catalina does not require Metal under a VM though.

I hadn't realized this was the case, tho I should have suspected, since I did notice there was no mention of Metal support in the VM's system information (ergo none). So if Catalina's fine running without Metal in a VM, does Apple consider it kosher to run Catalina in this way, and only in a VM context? As cool as it is frustrating...

yukdave

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2017
Dash Point, WA
The thing is, do you really want to exchange the stability of 10.14.6 for 10.15.0? Catalina is not ready for prime time…
[/QUOTE]

I do not run X.0 of anything. No I do not want to move to Catalina right now. The question is more about learning how this works before I need it. I just moved to Mojave 10.14.5 right after it came out.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Correct... There were some MAJOR issues related to the way Catalina implements APFS directory structures, and this resulted in a non-bootable clone(attempt). It has been a work in progress on CCC and I don't believe it works in SuperDuper. I haven't tried it as I have no need to, but there are lots of little things that need to be worked out before ditching any macOS in favor of Catalina.

For anyone reading this thread later and looking for more info, see this post from Bombich Software (maker of CCC):

And the latest CCC 5 release notes with bugs they've worked on (including huge list of Catalina "stuff"):

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
does Apple consider it kosher to run Catalina in this way, and only in a VM context?

AFAIK that is currently (at least part of) the subject of a lawsuit against Corellium for iOS. As long as VMware/Parallels is not distributing the OS or modifying in an illegal way, or charging for OS access, for personal use it might legally be considered OK, for now. Depending where that lawsuit goes, it may pave the way for future litigation...

jkdsteve

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2006
Installed Catalina release on an external drive on supported Mac (2019 MBP)

Read post #1, and used Recovery to set nvram boot args -no_compat_check..and moved the SSD to my MacPro4,1 (flashed to 5,1) and it works just fine......though Cinebench r20 won't run correctly :D

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
For anyone reading this thread later and looking for more info, see this post from Bombich Software (maker of CCC):

And the latest CCC 5 release notes with bugs they've worked on (including huge list of Catalina "stuff"):

Yeah, Mike sent me a detailed email about it sometime back but it was not really relevant for me at the time so I only skimmed over it. The gist I got was it's unreliable and evolving. I'm running the latest beta and it's supposed to work, but I haven't really tested it. I'm not hitching my wagon to Catalina for a long time. It presents too many issues for me at present. I'll drive it around for a week or two and delete it.

I'll consider it more fully after a few point releases.

Reactions: bsbeamer

jeffhalmos

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2002
I can't boot into Recovery Mode to do it this way, and can't get Startup Disk to bless the drive I want to boot off of for the Dosdude method. Any other options? (Mojave on 5,1).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.