Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

biosci

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 16, 2010
Chicagoland, IL
So I was trying to obtain a T-Mobile Sim card for my iPad. At the T-Mobile store, they wanted to charge me $20 for a nano Sim card. $10 if I already had a T-Mobile account and that I would activate it with a plan. However, I do not want to activate an account so that I could use a 200 MB per month promotion for now. Does this sound right? You need to activate a plan or have an existing T-Mobile account to obtain a blank Sim card?

Is this the same for ATT? I'd like to have the option of their plans as well... But don't want to be locked in to multiple plans.

aicul

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2007
no cars, only boats
Billing SIM cards seems to be a worldwide method that providers use to collect cash.

I know in most european countries you would live the same unhappy situation.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
For TMobile, order one of the $0.99 or free SIMs via the links in other threads on the topic. Don't bother with the stores, they'll give you that requirement. Normal cost is $10, but they put them on sale pretty often. No plan needed, no monthly cost to get the 200MB.

For AT&T, I just stopped in at an AT&T corporate store and asked for a SIM. Set it up on my Verizon ipad3 this morning on the $25/1GB/3mo plan right from the ipad. Had to have wifi on and let it get the new carrier settings, then View Account within Settings / Cellular worked to sign up for a new prepaid account.

biosci

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 16, 2010
Chicagoland, IL
Can you point me out to some of those links? Looking now with no luck and my search is down for whatever reason on the forums. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.