Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZNDK

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2017
Japan
I cannot get macOS to boot in recovery mode with OpenCore Legacy Patcher(1.2.0,1.2.1,1.3.0).
I usually use OCLP to use Ventura, but when I installed Monterey to try it out, even Monterey could not boot in recovery mode with OCLP.
I can boot in recovery mode with OpenCore, which I configured manually when I was on Monterey.

When the unit is in an unbootable state, nothing appears on the screen and the power button can be pressed to immediately turn the unit off. It is as if the OS is in an unsupported state. I have specified "-no_compat_check" and it seems to have no effect.
Which OpenCore item is the setting that inhibits recovery mode?

I can't even boot into safe mode (shift key held down to boot) when I use OCLP. The progress status stays at about 40% of the progress bar. Is this the same factor?

I digress, but with my manually configured OpenCore, when I start Monterey, it always abruptly force reboot 30-60 seconds after logging into my macOS account. The sign-in screen does not force a restart. Which of the OC items does this affect?
Incidentally, the manually configured OC was working fine before I used OCLP. At that time, the video card was just an RX580.

Last edited:

IanOnSummit

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2023
I cannot get macOS to boot in recovery mode with OpenCore Legacy Patcher(1.2.0,1.2.1,1.3.0).
I usually use OCLP to use Ventura, but when I installed Monterey to try it out, even Monterey could not boot in recovery mode with OCLP.
I can boot in recovery mode with OpenCore, which I configured manually when I was on Monterey.

When the unit is in an unbootable state, nothing appears on the screen and the power button can be pressed to immediately turn the unit off. It is as if the OS is in an unsupported state. I have specified "-no_compat_check" and it seems to have no effect.
Which OpenCore item is the setting that inhibits recovery mode?

I can't even boot into safe mode (shift key held down to boot) when I use OCLP. The progress status stays at about 40% of the progress bar. Is this the same factor?

I digress, but with my manually configured OpenCore, when I start Monterey, it always abruptly force reboot 30-60 seconds after logging into my macOS account. The sign-in screen does not force a restart. Which of the OC items does this affect?
Incidentally, the manually configured OC was working fine before I used OCLP. At that time, the video card was just an RX580.
I have a iMac12,2 mid 2011 27" upgraded to AMD WX4130 Radeon Polaris graphics, with Ventura 13.6.3 installed via OCLP v1.2.1 then upgraded to v1.3.0., and recently had occasion to boot into Recovery mode. I was initially unaware that under OCLP the normal Cmd+R at boot time is no longer the method to get into Recovery mode.
There is a recent (mid Dec) Youtube video by Mr.Macintosh titled:
OpenCore Legacy Patcher 1.3.0 Update - Warning for 2012-2014 Macs! + macOS Recovery Issues (link below)
where the boot sequence to access recovery mode is described, and where he also highlights an as yet unresolved issue with OCLP v1.3.0 (also present in 1.2.0 and 1.2.1) preventing access to Recovery mode.
I was able to access Recovery mode by booting off the bootable installer originally created by OCLP to install Ventura.
Refer from the 16:30 min location in...

dai-leung

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2017
I was able to access Recovery mode by booting off the bootable installer originally created by OCLP to install Ventura.
Refer from the 16:30 min location in...

I already installed OCLP 1.3.0 and Sonoma 14.2 on a 2014 MBP by following Mr. Macintosh step by step guide.

From the above quote, does it mean that I could get into Mac OS Recovery by using the Sonoma installer: after the EFI boot, when the installer try to install Sonoma again, I press the space bar, this will get into the macOS Recovery mode? My purpose is to use Time Machine to restore my files and apps to Sonoma which I already installed. Unless I can get into the recovery mode, I won’t be able to do that.

I am not a computer person. Is there any chance that you could give step to step how you did it? Your assistance will be appreciate.

IanOnSummit

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2023
I already installed OCLP 1.3.0 and Sonoma 14.2 on a 2014 MBP by following Mr. Macintosh step by step guide.

From the above quote, does it mean that I could get into Mac OS Recovery by using the Sonoma installer: after the EFI boot, when the installer try to install Sonoma again, I press the space bar, this will get into the macOS Recovery mode? My purpose is to use Time Machine to restore my files and apps to Sonoma which I already installed. Unless I can get into the recovery mode, I won’t be able to do that.

I am not a computer person. Is there any chance that you could give step to step how you did it? Your assistance will be appreciate.
I am just learning about OCLP myself, but using the steps mentioned in the Mr Macintosh video allowed me to successfully boot into macOS Recovery, specifically...
- Boot from your Sonoma installer disk/USB and hold the 'Option' key
- when the first boot choice appears, select the EFI option from the Sonoma installer and hold the 'Space' bar
- when the next boot choice appears, select the 'Sonoma Recovery' partition
This took me into macOS Recovery (running off the Sonoma installer disk/USB)

What I am not sure about is whether you can restore your files and apps from a Time Machine backup of a previous version of macOS from the Recovery environment. Previously (pre High Sierra) when I have used macOS Recovery to restore an earlier system state from the Time Machine, it has restored the entire original operating system along with the files and apps.

When carrying out the OCLP install of Ventura over an existing install of High Sierra on my 2011 iMac, I used the 'upgrade' method, rather than the 'clean install' method, which successfully retained the files and apps from my original working High Sierra install.

If all else fails, maybe you could restore your MBP back to the original system using macOS Recovery and your Time Machine backup, and then carry out the OCLP install of Sonoma again, this time using the 'upgrade' method also described by Mr Macintosh.

Good luck.

dai-leung

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2017
Thank you so much for your prompt reply! I was able to get to macOS Recovery, then I selected restore from Time Machine. My latest TM backup together with a lot of earlier snapshots showed up on a table. But on top of the table, it said that I must use migration assistant to use any of these backup. When I clicked on one of these backup and hit “continue”, it offered me to install Mac OS.

In short, even though I could get to macOS recovery, it is not possible to restore from a TM backup or a snapshot.

So if a Mac installs OCLP, the only way is to go to application and open Migration Assistant Then select restore from TM.

I believe, I could be wrong, for a Mac without OCLP, cmd+R will get to macOS Recovery, which allow restore from a TM backup.

Thanks again for your kind assistance!

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
you can always boot a createinstallmedia stick with Monterey. If you have plenty of disk space you can use a 20 GB HFSplus partition for it.

To create bootable backups, btw. I had success with OC and using the asr restore command line tool.

dai-leung

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2017
To create bootable backups, btw. I had success with OC and using the asr restore command line tool.
Thank you for providing new information. I am not a computer person. Would it be possible to give detailed steps on how to use the ASR command?

I am using both CCC and TM backups. Any idea how I could incorporate the bootable backup by asr into the CCC backup that is forming a bootable CCC backup? There are members who question the usefulness and the value of a bootable backup since installing the OS is not such a big deal.

I understand that both ChronoSync and CCC no longer support making a bootable backup. The former said that eventually Apple would not allow copying the system volume in order to make it secure from tempering.

Not sure I am correct. In regard to unable to restore from a TM backup using OCLP installer to get to macOS Recovery now makes sense, because Mac knows the OS has not yet been installed. The OS has to be installed first before restoring from the TM backup. In a normal Mac without OCLP, in the Recovery mode, the Mac knows the OS has been installed thus allows restore from TM.

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
Would it be possible to give detailed steps on how to use the ASR command?

Since I just did this with my test disk, I'd like to quickly summarize it as a reference:

The test disk contained Big Sur, Monterey, Ventura, and Sonoma.

1.) Boot createinstallmedia stick/partition (USB installer).

2.) If necessary: Open Disk Utility and format the target volume in GUID format, create a container.

3.) In Terminal read out the source and target containers.
diskutil list

4.) Run asr like this example, insert x, y and sourcevolumename accordingly.
asr restore --source /dev/diskxs2 -- target /dev/disky --sourcevolumename "Monterey"

x=source container
y=target container
sourcevolumename=The name of the system, the data volume will be copied with it, in the example Monterey and Monterey - Data.

The next system can be copied in the same way, it will be added.

While booting, a tool corrected the UUID first and restarted. The OpenCoreLegacyPatcher patches also had to be renewed.

The whole process took a few minutes from blade to blade with moderately filled data volumes. Much faster than reinstalling all systems.

This had worked for me in the running system, if the system to be copied is not the running OS. Booting the installer was safer for me anyway. I have it on a partition, so it's quick.

Here's a picture, this time copied from the offered system (not the one to be copied, but into the same container):
Bildschirmfoto 2024-02-29 um 14.22.22.png

Last edited:
Reactions: f329

dai-leung

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2017
I have mentioned your method to another user.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.