Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zackkmac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
Denver
Hi everyone, I had a strange issue come up that I am hoping to resolve today, as I had the laptop listed for sale and it sold last night with the description stating Ventura is installed via OCLP.

Before listing the laptop, being very familiar with the process, I installed OCLP with zero issues and used the laptop multiple times since to test it out, and then put it away until today to prep for shipping. Now, for whatever reason, it does not seem to acknowledge OCLP at all and I get the prohibited sign when attempting to boot into Ventura. Since there is no OCLP boot picker, it of course is trying to boot Ventura natively so it fails to load.

I have re-installed Ventura 13.5.1, re-installed OCLP to the root of the internal drive twice, re-installed root patches. It is still acting like OCLP isn't installed at all. I am able to boot into Ventura with the patched USB drive attached, and at that point OCLP works as expected. But that's all it will do.

Any advice is greatly appreciated! For now, I am going to try installing a spare (matching) 512GB SSD I have and start over.

Last edited:

LanceMahe

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2010
Hi everyone, I had a strange issue come up that I am hoping to resolve today, as I had the laptop listed for sale and it sold last night with the description stating Ventura is installed via OCLP.

Before listing the laptop, being very familiar with the process, I installed OCLP with zero issues and used the laptop multiple times since to test it out, and then put it away until today to prep for shipping. Now, for whatever reason, it does not seem to acknowledge OCLP at all and I get the prohibited sign when attempting to boot into Ventura. Since there is no OCLP boot picker, it of course is trying to boot Ventura natively so it fails to load.

I have re-installed Ventura 13.5.1, re-installed OCLP to the root of the internal drive twice, re-installed root patches. It is still acting like OCLP isn't installed at all. I am able to boot into Ventura with the patched USB drive attached, and at that point OCLP works as expected. But that's all it will do.

Any advice is greatly appreciated! For now, I am going to try installing a spare (matching) 512GB SSD I have and start over.
Hi, it can't be an issue. Most probably you have not installed the patcher on the SSD and only on the USB drive. So, open the OCLP check what you want to install, like bootpicker for example. Check all options they give you, make sure that you have the latest version of the patcher. And install it on your SSD. This will allow you to start into your main drive.

zackkmac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
Denver
Hi, it can't be an issue. Most probably you have not installed the patcher on the SSD and only on the USB drive. So, open the OCLP check what you want to install, like bootpicker for example. Check all options they give you, make sure that you have the latest version of the patcher. And install it on your SSD. This will allow you to start into your main drive.

I appreciate the response but I did clarify above that I installed it to the internal SSD twice with no luck. I don't think the options selected could have been an issue, because it was booting under OCLP perfectly fine and then randomly it seemed to not acknowledge the EFI partition. No macOS updates were installed recently, and I did try removing and reinstalling the EFI partition using Clover.

I have installed OCLP on a lot of machines (really glad it exists!) and never came across this issue. I'm thinking it could have possibly been an SSD hardware issue, I did end up getting it to work flawlessly by replacing the SSD.

Will mark this as resolved. :)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.