Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

manu17

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2023
Hi. I have a Late 2009 iMac 27". Has anyone successfully installed MacOS Ventura with OCLP on these iMacs and gotten iSight to work? I just installed MacOS 13.4 with the OCLP 0.6.6 tool and it's running great. Everything is working, fast and snappy. The only thing not working is the built in iSight camera. I tried opening up Photo Booth and the green light turns on only for a split second before turning off. Black screen in photo booth. I remember having the same issue on pre-2012 MacBook Pros and the only fix was to install macOS Big Sur... i couldn't get iSight to work on Ventura or Monterey.

tragicwinding

Suspended
May 23, 2023
It's great to hear that you're having a largely positive experience with MacOS Ventura on your late 2009 iMac! As for the iSight camera issue, you're not alone - it seems to be a known issue with Ventura and Monterey on older Macs.

@Nguyen Duc Hieu might be onto something, as it could be related to the increased security or privacy protocols in these newer OS versions. If you're not willing to downgrade to Big Sur, you could consider using an external webcam, or wait for updates to OCLP or the OS that might address the issue.

Reactions: TheShortTimer

manu17

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2023
Thanks for chiming in guys. I'm in shock that this issue has not been brought up considering how popular OCLP is and how well it works. I can't find anything on google about it. Why isn't anyone talking about it? I'm sure a ton of people are using OCLP on pre-2012 macs. I tried plugging in my logitech webcam to no avail. Google chrome recognizes it but not able to use it. Seems like MacOS is blocking webcams from being used for whatever reason... My 2012 and above systems are able to use isight no problems on Ventura.

tragicwinding

Suspended
May 23, 2023
The thing about OCLP is that, while it's a great tool, it's not guaranteed to make every single feature work on older Macs with newer MacOS versions. It seems the iSight issue on pre-2012 Macs is one of those unfortunate exceptions.

As for your Logitech webcam, it might be worth trying a few different things. You could check if there are updated drivers for it, or maybe even try using different software to access it. It's a bit of a workaround, but it might help while we wait for a potential fix for the built-in iSight issue.

ejj18

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2023
Can I use OCLP release 0.6.8 to install Ventura on iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) High Sierra, iMac10,1
Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.06 GHz, 1 Processor, 2 Cores, L2 Cache: 3 MB, Memory: 12 GB, Boot ROM Version: 215.0.0.0.0, SMC Version (system):1.53f13?

ejj18

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2023
In OCLP release 0.6.8 - Select macOS Installer -

[macOS 11.7.10]
[macOS 12.6.9]
[macOS 13.6]

When I click [macOS 13.6], I get the following message:

"Your model (iMac10,1) may not be fully supported by this installer. You may encounter the following issues:
Lack of internal Keyboard/Mouse in macOS installer.
For more information, see associated page. Otherwise, we recommend using macOS Monterey"

Is 12.6.9-Monterey more stable and with less issues than Ventura, on iMac 10,1?

Will Monterey improve my iMac 10,1, currently with High Sierra?

With a little bit of luck, next OCLP versions will solved these issues.

Reactions: DCBassman

DCBassman

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2021
West Devon, UK
In OCLP release 0.6.8 - Select macOS Installer -

[macOS 11.7.10]
[macOS 12.6.9]
[macOS 13.6]

When I click [macOS 13.6], I get the following message:

"Your model (iMac10,1) may not be fully supported by this installer. You may encounter the following issues:
Lack of internal Keyboard/Mouse in macOS installer.
For more information, see associated page. Otherwise, we recommend using macOS Monterey"

Is 12.6.9-Monterey more stable and with less issues than Ventura, on iMac 10,1?

Will Monterey improve my iMac 10,1, currently with High Sierra?

With a little bit of luck, next OCLP versions will solved these issues.
I took my 10,1 to Monterey, mainly to get access to modern versions of app in the App Store. Then wiped and returned to High Sierra. Since then, I have a 21.5" 12,1. That will definitely run Monterey better, and it did run Ventura, but not well.
It's good that you have plenty of RAM, see if you can max it to 16GB. My 10,1 has an SSD also. The 12,1 did not have an SSD, and the later versions of macOS *really* don't like spinning drives.

ejj18

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2023
Thanks.
What kind of bracket would you recommend for installing the SSD in my iMac 10.1 27-inch?
What kind of SSD SATA cable with temperature sensor, did you use?

Reactions: DCBassman

DCBassman

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2021
West Devon, UK
Thanks.
What kind of bracket would you recommend for installing the SSD in my iMac 10.1 27-inch?
What kind of SSD SATA cable with temperature sensor, did you use?

As SSDs are much lighter than hard drives, I simply used an appropriate screw to attach the SSD to the top bracket, then reattached it. This model has a two-wire sensor cable which plugs into the hard drive separately. I disabled this by stripping a section of each wire in the centre of the cable and shorting them together. I then taped them over to insulate them. This makes the mod reversible, although I see no need ever to do that. I use Macs Fans Control to oversee temps and fans. So I needed no extra components other than the SSD. Apparently, if you use a very large SSD, 2TB or greater, then they too can become quite warm. In that case, I would pay greater attention to the temperature and fan speed. I used a Crucial MX300 750GB, big enough but not too big.

ejj18

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2023
Currently My iMac 10,1 has a 1TB Seagate HDD, which I would like to replace with either a Crucial MX500 1TB or a Crucial MX500 2TB.

Don't I have to put a SSD SATA cable or can I use the existing HDD SATA cable?

DCBassman

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2021
West Devon, UK
The existing cable is fine, but you do need to do that sensor cable mod, or the fans will go crazy.
On the 2011 models, it's different again, as the drive SATA cable needs modifying either with an external sensor wired between drive and computer (OWC and iFixit sell these), or, if you're happy with something like Macs Fans Control, then using a SATA power Y-splitter will ground out the sensor input and keep the fans quiet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.