Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

basslik

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 22, 2008
Any 5,1 / OCLP 1.2.1 running Monterey with Pro tool 2023.9

What's happening is I just did clean install three times of this combo. Installed Pro Tools and everything runs smooth (EXCEPT) I have to force quit Pro Tools and I'm also having Avid looking into to it.

I'm will not be surprised the folks on this platform will probably figure it out before Avid does.

What's interesting is Martin's package it doesn't have that problem. Is there something perhaps I can migrate from his package and inject into OCLP?

I should be using Martin's package anyway, but I just thought maybe there's a way before I abandoned OCLP.

Last edited:

basslik

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 22, 2008
Well I thought I try one more time.

it appears that I am missing the Firewire Icons in my network tab and that's probably why I'm having a problem quiting Pro Tools. Anybody have any suggestions on how to insert the firewire icon in the network tab?

Thank you.
1702523737517.png

Tex Tiles

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2023
Same thing here on my 3,1. I saw somewhere a discussion about doing a custom install without sketch as that is what makes it crash... I can't find any option to do a custom install of PT without sketch, just the auto standard everything install. I can't find that discussion now and didn't bookmark it unfortunately.

basslik

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 22, 2008
Try this, it works for some users. Didn't work for me though.

straight from Avid Support.

1. Go to
Mac: HD/Users/<username>/Library/Preferences/Avid and locate the Pro Tools folder.

When I go to the HD/users then there's two folders ( my folder ) and a shared folder, when I go into my user name folder, there's no library folder?

But when I go to the shared folder, there's a library folder?

Monterey must be different?

2. Rename the folder for safer securing a copy (i.e. "Pro Tools old")
note: You may also revert the folder's name to the previous name which is just "Pro Tools" to bring the Pro Tools back to how it was before the reset.

3. Try to open Pro Tools again. A new Pro Tools folder for the Preferences will be created.

4. Trash the "Pro Tools" folder found in HD/Users/Shared (which contains the workspace.wksp database and other files)

Let me know if it works, thanks.

Are you doing it on your 3,1 >?

Reactions: Tex Tiles

Tex Tiles

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2023

1. Go to
Mac: HD/Users/<username>/Library/Preferences/Avid and locate the Pro Tools folder.

When I go to the HD/users then there's two folders ( my folder ) and a shared folder, when I go into my user name folder, there's no library folder?

But when I go to the shared folder, there's a library folder?

Monterey must be different?

2. Rename the folder for safer securing a copy (i.e. "Pro Tools old")
note: You may also revert the folder's name to the previous name which is just "Pro Tools" to bring the Pro Tools back to how it was before the reset.

3. Try to open Pro Tools again. A new Pro Tools folder for the Preferences will be created.

4. Trash the "Pro Tools" folder found in HD/Users/Shared (which contains the workspace.wksp database and other files)

Let me know if it works, thanks.

Are you doing it on your 3,1 >?
Yes, seems to work fine except for having to force quit. I've been not updating on purpose on the 3,1 keeping PT9 running solid all these years with all the interfaces, control surfaces, plugins, UAD cards etc etc etc. I have kept that HD. Updating is hell. Buying a new computer would be the easiest part of it, it's all the other parts of the system which are all old like me
:)

PS did do the prefs delete btw, didn't make any difference though, thanks for that.

basslik

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 22, 2008
Yes, seems to work fine except for having to force quit. I've been not updating on purpose on the 3,1 keeping PT9 running solid all these years with all the interfaces, control surfaces, plugins, UAD cards etc etc etc. I have kept that HD. Updating is hell. Buying a new computer would be the easiest part of it, it's all the other parts of the system which are all old like me
:)

PS did do the prefs delete btw, didn't make any difference though, thanks for that.
Yes I deleted preferences, and didn't help.

There are others with qualified systems computers that are also having to force quit.

Yeah Monterey runs fantastic, and I'm with you. I love my Mac Pro decked out with the most extreme upgrades and being able to track 18tracks at 32buffer is simply amazing for this decade old computer running with my rock solid (BLACK LION AUDIO) digi 003 rack.

Like a few hit making engineers on gearpage who have the same setup I have. ( IF ) it ain't broke, don't fix.

You should at least upgrade to PT12. 64bit. That should in itself give you a boost.

I just have to live with force quit. But other than that, Monterey is so smooth.

I do have a backup NVMe drive with Mt. Lion and PT10&12 co-installed just in case though, but four years now and never had to go back.

I suspect with OCLP not showing the firewire in the network tab has something to do with it.

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia

1. Go to

Go to your user folder in finder, view menu -> show view options, tick "show library folder".

Tex Tiles

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2023
So are you going to update Pro Tools 9 now?
Ha! Keeping it in my back pocket as it actually works. I am getting to the point that I don't think opencore is going to be stable enough on the 3,1, too buggy, wasting too much time with this. Fine for goofing around but not for actual work.
I have found that 10.11 with pt 2018 seems to be stable and more recent and is "supported". That's probably the end of the line for these computers. If it works, don't wreck it. If I didn't have all these stupid uad cards and need backward compatability I'd just go buy a new mini or studio.

basslik

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 22, 2008
Yeah I totally agree. Monterey running smooth with the latest PT 2023.12.

Cool thing is that I have on a back up SSD PT10 with Mt.Lion. The most solid version combo according to the hit makers on DUC forum. But I haven't revisited that version, since running Monterey.

Mac Studio is what I'll jump into in the next couple of years. Like many pros and yourself mentioned.
If it ain't broke don't fix.

Reactions: crjackson2134

MrScratchHook

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2022
United States
Same thing here on my 3,1. I saw somewhere a discussion about doing a custom install without sketch as that is what makes it crash... I can't find any option to do a custom install of PT without sketch, just the auto standard everything install. I can't find that discussion now and didn't bookmark it unfortunately.
that installation minus sketch is directly on the avid site, under the new 2023.9 version, i was surprised to see avid help outdated macos users, but there it was. i actually have a screen shot on my phone but im on a pc as i type, but go check its there.

MrScratchHook

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2022
United States
Any 5,1 / OCLP 1.2.1 running Monterey with Pro tool 2023.9

What's happening is I just did clean install three times of this combo. Installed Pro Tools and everything runs smooth (EXCEPT) I have to force quit Pro Tools and I'm also having Avid looking into to it.

I'm will not be surprised the folks on this platform will probably figure it out before Avid does.

What's interesting is Martin's package it doesn't have that problem. Is there something perhaps I can migrate from his package and inject into OCLP?

I should be using Martin's package anyway, but I just thought maybe there's a way before I abandoned OCLP.
So i have protools on mojave/monterey/sonoma, i think that force quit issue started in 2023.9, it does it to me, wasn't doing it before that. Avid will look into this issue and one day they will correct it but lets look at the bright side, it has absolutely no affect on your working sessions, only on closing , so that's a relief. Oh and No, there's nothing to inject into oclp to make it stop, unfortunately.

basslik

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 22, 2008
Nice. Going to buy back a 2010 Mac pro I sold to a professor last summer, so I'll have two again. Says he can't grasp Pro Tools, and he will stick with his older version of Logic on an old Apple laptop. That one has a Nvidia 4000 card. I'll just have to make sure I do the steps right on the GOP for the Nvidia.

Thanks brutha.

Reactions: MrScratchHook
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.