Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sfalatko

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 24, 2016
I have a cMP5,1 with a Vega 56 that has been running fine in Mojave (native boot) and Monterey (manual OpenCore install).

I decided to try a test with OCLP and Sonoma. I copied my Monterey install to a test SSD and can boot that Monterey fine with my current manual OC setup.

I'm using OCLP 1.3 and Sonoma 14.3.1. When I install Sonoma to the test Monterey install I get all the way through the install. When I finally try to boot Sonoma I get a black screen after the progress bar makes it part of the way - my guess is that it is failing when switching to the Sonoma video drivers.

One bit of info - when building OC it identifies my video card but can't find the PCI path to it. Any thoughts? Is there any way to verify that the AMD video drivers are being modified during the build of the installer or the Sonoma install? OCLP says that I have no root patches required for my cMP5,1 (i updated the wifi card and installed a USB 2 hub to support the bluetooth).

I have asked on the OCLP Discord but thought I would ask here as well since someone with a cMP might have run into the same issues.

Regards,
sfalatko

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
First thing, GPU drivers since Ventura are compiled with AVX 2.0 requirement. Second, GPU drivers are modified by root patching, not in the installer.

AFAIK, while some serious progress was made with support for VEGA GPUs with Ventura/Sonoma, only Polaris are working "correctly" currently.

sfalatko

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 24, 2016
Alex,

Thanks. I do understand that I may run into issues with AVX2 but I'm trying to learn about OCLP and would like to try out Sonoma even with that potential limitation.

So do you expect that returning to my RX 580 would yield better results? I've been very pleased with the Vega 56 and find it quieter and better performing than the RX 580.

Regards,
sfalatko

sfalatko

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 24, 2016
Before doing that I wiped the SSD, recopied Monterey, and reinstalled Sonoma. When I hit the black screen I used screen sharing and the root patches were being applied.

After the reboot I am in Sonoma but bluetooth is saying it is off but my wireless mouse is working. Some other quirks exist. I will reapply the root patches and see if it is better but right now Sonoma seems to be a work in progress.

regards,
sfalatko

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.