Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

poundman

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 22, 2011
Is there a reference that shows a comparison of these 2 options to get Monterey installed on a 5,1. What are the pros and cons of each : OCLP vs the Martin Lo OC packages? I will be using RX580. I am currently on Mojave with 144 BOOTROM. thank you

flat4

Contributor
Jul 14, 2009
someone posted OCLP is one fits all and MLO is just for 5,1 and you cannot go past Monterrey

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
I switched to OCLP a year ago and have yet to look back. I am now running Monterey, Ventura, and Sonoma with it, with the latter being my main driver.
I have a flashed RX-580, updated WiFi/BLE, USB 3 card, and PCIe NVME. Everything works, including watch unlock.

I just bought a dongle keyboard/mouse set to make the process of removing the root patch, updating, and reinstalling easier. I don't have BlueTooth on Ventura and Sonoma during those processes. I also boot Windows 11 (BIOS BootCamp) and ZorinOS on occasion.

With my hardware mods, Monterey runs without root patch.

I still have a Mojave and DosDude patched Catalina install. Always keep your Mojave.

OCLP v1.3 is pretty stable.

Last edited:

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
I use the Martin Lo 0.9.7 package with Monterey 12.7.3 on two machines - the only issue both have is a problem on restarts (prohibited sign), other than that they both work reliably in normal MacOS operation. The dual CPU one even works with my 7,1 (Sonoma) to share mouse/keyboard, files, etc.

Both have Apple watch unlock, air drop, etc. One has an RX580, the other a RX6600 XT (which is flashed for 5,1 compatibility).

It's said that Sonoma doesn't support the RX6600 XT (in another thread) so Sonoma is no use for me on the 5,1.

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
I like the easy and troublefree approach of OCLP. Several years ago I was constantly editing the config file. Glad not to be wasting that time. In fact, OCLP caused me to pull the CMPro out of retirement.

LucMac

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2014
GERMANY
I want to update from Monterey to Sonoma.

Monterey is currently running on my main SSD via OC (Martin LO Package) on a thumb usb drive.

I don’t want to do a clean install via OCLP.

What other options do I have?

My understanding is, that OC 0.9.8 have to be removed to replace it with OCLP. Is that even possible without creating an installer via OCLP and do a clean install of Sonoma?

And what would be the steps to do so?

Any tips and suggestions would be appreciated 🙏🏻

Thank you!

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
My understanding is, that OC 0.9.8 have to be removed to replace it with OCLP. Is that even possible without creating an installer via OCLP and do a clean install of Sonoma?

No, you need to do a clean install of Sonoma with the OCLP created installer. Btw, do it on an empty disk.

Ventura/Sonoma runs extremely poorly with a MacPro5,1 because of the missing AVX2.0 support and no hacking can fully workaround this issue. Since several apps now require AX2.0, like Adobe AfterEffects/Premiere Pro/Media Encoder and others, Ventura and Sonoma are a no go for several workflows with a MacPro5,1. Some will say that works fine, but a lot of people downgrade to Monterey after verifying that several apps now doesn't work anymore.

Reactions: BeatCrazy and flat4

LucMac

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2014
GERMANY
No, you need to do a clean install of Sonoma with the OCLP created installer. Btw, do it on an empty disk.

Ventura/Sonoma runs extremely poorly with a MacPro5,1 because of the missing AVX2.0 support and no hacking can fully workaround this issue. Since several apps now require AX2.0, like Adobe AfterEffects/Premiere Pro/Media Encoder and others, Ventura and Sonoma are a no go for several workflows with a MacPro5,1. Some will say that works fine, but a lot of people downgrade to Monterey after verifying that several apps now doesn't work anymore.
Hi Alex,

thanks for your response.

My Mac Pro is in his last year of life... So I want to give him a last update before I am switching to an Apple Silicon Mac.

Luckily, I don't use Adobe Apps at all. Is there a list I can check for AVX2-required Apps on Sonoma?

I mainly use Safari,Mail, Photos, Home (which doesnt show all of my devices under Monterey) Office and Finder (for large file management).
I will also use Garageband, Logic, djay Pro 5 and Final Cut Pro for some music and video editing from time to time.

Thank you for your warning regarding Sonoma!

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Is there a list I can check for AVX2-required Apps on Sonoma?

AFAIK, no one compiled a list yet. Ventura and Sonoma, not just Sonoma. Logic is one of the problematic ones, several plugins now require AVX 2.0.

Anyway, install to an empty disk and keep your Monterey disk as is until you test everything.

Reactions: skodises and LucMac

skodises

Contributor
Jan 9, 2021
Alex, just a question: assuming that one is not using one of the problem apps that requires AVX2, do Ventura and Sonoma work reliably? I'm getting ready to go from Catalina to Monterey in any case, and would be happy to stop there for the time being. But Parallels is the one app I really need (to run my work Windows environment in a VM)- and if that app really doesn't require AVX2, I might consider going further. The most complex app I use under Parallels is Altium for ECAD, and I can't imagine that they'd do something that would require AVX2. Their installed base of older iron is too large.

I'll retain a solid Monterey base for exploration, after that initial upgrade is done. Having a fully loaded machine with disks out the wazoo makes this relatively easy. I have enough disks to partition them up and keep essentially everything forever... I have fully-functional systems all the back to Sierra ready to drop back into if/as needed. So a couple more sandbox systems won't make a bit of difference. (;-)

Last edited:

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Alex, just a question: assuming that one is not using one of the problem apps that requires AVX2, do Ventura and Sonoma work reliably?

Not for me or a lot of people, but you have to test with your own workflow and make your own conclusions.

For a some people Ventura/Sonoma works fine, but we can't make decisions just from people posting that works fine for he/she, but never go into details of the usage/workflows.

Btw, as always with current macOS releases that are work in progress for the first year, Sonoma is not really reliable even with Apple Silicon Macs, I can't say that my M1 mini with Sonoma is as good and reliable as my late-2013 Mac Pro with Monterey.

Reactions: skodises

skodises

Contributor
Jan 9, 2021
Roger that, and thanks. If/when I go beyond Monterey, I'll report back. Sonoma on this M1 Macbook Pro is definitely a tad bit problematic at times- but I'm going to wait it out...

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
I find it to be unpredictable. I will keep Monterey installed and configured. Sonoma has been running better for me for the last couple of weeks with a hickup ever other day (crash on overnight sleep in NVMe driver, I removed it from the one trying to fix sleep from the config,) and Safari going in lala land reloading pages after a couple of days straight running. I am now shutting down at the end of the day.
A few weeks ago, it crashed unpredictably more than once every day. Both OCLP and Sonoma have been updated since then.
Apps are the same. I use too many to list on my dual core 3.40Ghz with 96GB or RAM. But lately I have not had a long Logic Pro session, which crashed on me before just once.

skodises

Contributor
Jan 9, 2021
Thanks for that input! My usage is pretty boring- all electrical engineering CAD work, with the usual sprinkling of the damnable Microsoft apps like Outlook and Teams, necessary to keep my Corporate Masters happy. Lots of big simulation work in LTSpice and Icarus Verilog, but no cutting-edge audio or video work at all. Just pushing transistors around, like a proper nerd... (;-)

The more I read, the more certain I am that I'll stop at Monterey for the time being. I don't really need to cut my throat on the bleeding edge of technology! Seems like I'm most comfortable moving to a new MacOS release just about the time they EOL support for it. Funny, that.

Reactions: John Fu

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
The more I read, the more certain I am that I'll stop at Monterey for the time being. I don't really need to cut my throat on the bleeding edge of technology! Seems like I'm most comfortable moving to a new MacOS release just about the time they EOL support for it. Funny, that.
If your apps do not need anything newer, there is no reason to go past Monterey. Save yourself the headaches.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Can you let me know which plugins you have seen are using AVC2. I am trying to save myself some pain trying.

These are the apps/drivers that I've been compiling from reports or my own experience that now require AVX/AVX2 and do not work, or work with serious issues, with MacPro5,1:

Audio related:
  • A.O.M. Total Bundle
  • ARC Studio
  • MASSIVE X
  • ModoDrum
  • MDrummer

Video related:
  • Adobe Premiere Pro 24.0
  • Adobe Media Encoder 24.0
  • C4D S26.1
  • Corel Painter 2023 (several brushes do not work without AVX2)
  • DisplayLink drivers

Photo editing and related apps:
  • Topaz Photo
The main issue is that after Monterey is declared obsolete, apps developers will start to remove workarounds for processors without AVX/AVX2 support, since Ventura/Sonoma now require AVX2.

This is not only a problem with Macs, Windows users are now having the same issue with low end processors that also do not support AVX/AVX2.

Reactions: haralds

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
Thank you. I am gad there are no Arturia products there. I love their products and am heavily invested. Topaz is no surprise.
Perhaps we should have a wiki on this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.