Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
A reasonable question now with the new coming of the new MacPro (with the Octo) is will Adobe CS3 apps handle sucessfully all the power and multiple cores that new beast Apple unleashed?
I didnt manage to see Adobe CS3 presentation so i dont know if there was any statement regarding the optimal cooperation with multiple core systems! Anyone know anything or have the footage handy so i can have a look!

LeviG

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2006
Norfolk, UK
I would expect so, assuming its been coded to use multiple cores then it will work just as well with 2 as with 8 (obviously different speeds :))

The question is, is there really anything in photoshop that requires 8 cores, I havent found anything to really struggle with 2 cores yet :rolleyes:

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
I would expect so, assuming its been coded to use multiple cores then it will work just as well with 2 as with 8 (obviously different speeds :))
Do u know that as a fact that the new cs3 has been coded to work better with multiple cores? Did u read it somewhere officially? Perhaps u heard it at the CS3 presentation?

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
Do u know that as a fact that the new cs3 has been coded to work better with multiple cores? Did u read it somewhere officially? Perhaps u heard it at the CS3 presentation?

Photoshop has taken advantage of multiple CPUs and therefore multiple cores since at least version 4 (that takes me back a bit :)). Most of the professional level applications have had some support for multiple CPU systems for years.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
The question is, is there really anything in photoshop that requires 8 cores, I havent found anything to really struggle with 2 cores yet :rolleyes:
Still i have to agree with LeviG, are 8 cores too mutch of power waste?

Onkelskrue

macrumors member
May 25, 2005
Would anyone have an idea of what kind of speed improvements we are talking about for an octo? Assuming you spend a few hours in Photoshop every day, even 10-20% speed increase could make a difference. Thoughts?

Cheers,
Lars

Father Jack

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2007
Ireland
Would anyone have an idea of what kind of speed improvements we are talking about for an octo? Assuming you spend a few hours in Photoshop every day, even 10-20% speed increase could make a difference. Thoughts?

Cheers,
Lars
I think for everyday sort of Photoshop work, not much difference at all. :(

spaz8

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2007
The system they recommend on the Apple site for CS3 is the Quad 3ghz.. I think PS and most of the Adobe line has recognized two processors for several years now but its my hunch that CS3 will see and do little with more than 4 cores.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
i agree with spaz but we must see some tests first to be sure!
anyone seen any?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.