Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Khalanad75

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2015
land of confusion
Gonna put this in Console Games, cause not sure where else.

So we got my son an Oculus Quest 2 for his birthday. I know very little about it.

Anyone able to answer these questions, my google-fu has been off on this:

How do I go about setting it up?

How do I get the games on there? (I know there is an Oculus store and it ties into Facebook, just not sure how)

Do I need to worry about restricting things for a 13 year old?

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
You need a Facebook account to set up Oculus Quest 2. That's one of the things I don't like about Oculus. I don't use Facebook... but I set up an account just to use my Samsung Oculus VR headset to use my phone on a few years ago. Since I already crossed that line... it made it a little easier for me to purchase a Quest 2.

According to Facebook, the age requirement for an account is 13 years old. It has to be a real account with accurate information. If Facebook finds any false information on the account, they will ban the account, and potentially brick your Oculus Quest 2 headset. I can't make recommendations on this... so might want to think this through on setting up Facebook accounts.

Setup is easier than most of the higher priced VR systems... which required highend PC's and mounting trackers on the walls. The Quest 2 setup a lot simpler...
  • Download the Oculus app on your mobile phone
  • Login to the Oculus app with your Facebook account
  • Pull the battery tabs on the controllers, and turn on headset
  • Connect to wifi for initial setup
  • Finalize setup connecting to the Quest 2 to your phone via Bluetooth
This vid is pretty good at explaining the steps... and has additional VR information.

The nice thing about the Quest 2 is you can use it as a Standalone VR headset. Just download games in the internal storage, and play without connecting to a computer. However, batteries will last around 2 hours. There are external battery pack options if you want longer play time... but it is a good idea to take breaks when gaming in VR.

You can purchase games on a computer with the Oculus Store app installed, but you have to play Oculus PCVR games with with an Oculus Link cable. Also, your computer must meet spec requirements, which will be listed in the game description. The official Oculus Link cable is $79, but you can get cables on Amazon for $29. Advantages of playing with the link cable is it should charge the battery while your playing... battery will still drain, but not as fast. Another advantage... you don't use up internal storage space. Disadvantage, you can get tangled up in the cable and disconnect from the computer, or damage your headset.

For me... I prefer playing my Quest 2 Wirelessly though the Steam games app on my gaming PC... but PC hardware requirements are steep and expensive... not a good time for building PC's right now.. parts are hard to get. I do play with Oculus Store PCVR games with a Oculus Link cable with a pully system mounted on the ceiling so I don't get tangled... but wireless give me the freedom to play anywhere in the house.

I'm sure your son will enjoy the Oculus Quest 2. With how hard it is to get a next gen console, it is another good option. I really like my Oculus Quest 2... and my kids really like it too. I pretty much game with with it daily. Here is my setup...

myq2vr.jpg

Reactions: Khalanad75

Khalanad75

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2015
land of confusion
Thanks for the detailed reply. We did end up making him account, although we changed his name. Sorry Facebook, my son's 13 years old, you don't need his full info.

If it comes back to bite us in the butt later, I guess I will deal with that at that time.

The whole family has been playing it now and as much as I have blown off VR in the past, even I am digging it.

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
It's good you thought things through on setting up his Facebook account. I don't use my Facebook account, but not happy about requiring a valid personal account to activate the Quest 2. Plus buying games and apps through the Oculus store makes it harder for Quest owners to look into investing in VR brand outside the Oculus Ecosystem. I try not to buy games from the Oculus store if the games are available on Steam. If the same game is on Steam, I usually buy from there... just in case I want to get different VR headset brand, I can still play the games I've purchased. But there are there are great Oculus exclusives games I enjoy playing on my Quest 2.

Khalanad75

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2015
land of confusion
It's good you thought things through on setting up his Facebook account. I don't use my Facebook account, but not happy about requiring a valid personal account to activate the Quest 2. Plus buying games and apps through the Oculus store makes it harder for Quest owners to look into investing in VR brand outside the Oculus Ecosystem. I try not to buy games from the Oculus store if the games are available on Steam. If the same game is on Steam, I usually buy from there... just in case I want to get different VR headset brand, I can still play the games I've purchased. But there are there are great Oculus exclusives games I enjoy playing on my Quest 2.

So if you get a game on steam, do you have to play with the headset corded (plugged into the computer)? Or can the game be transferred to work on the headset itself.

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
So if you get a game on steam, do you have to play with the headset corded (plugged into the computer)? Or can the game be transferred to work on the headset itself.
Steam games can only be installed on the computer where you have the steam app installed on. You can play Steam VR games connected to the computer with the Oculus link cable, or play wirelessly through Virtual Desktop.

Playing Steam games with Oculus Link cable:
  • Need a computer that is VR capable
  • Install Steam app on the computer
  • Install Oculus Link setup on the computer (https://www.oculus.com/setup/)
  • Install SteamVR from the Steam app

I would still install the Oculus Link setup to play Oculus AAA games that can't be installed on your Quest 2... games like "Lone Echo". For more info on playing Oculus and Steam games with the link cable... this Video should help:

Playing Steam games Wirelessly through Virtual Desktop:
You will still have to do the same steps above, but there are more steps in between to set up Wireless Steam game play. Instead me bullet pointing the steps... this video has a great step by step guide, and a lot of additional information increasing performance and troubleshooting playing Steam games wirelessly on your Quest 2:

Hope this helps... :)

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
@Khalanad75 Might want to hold off on what I wrote on last post. There is news being posted today that the Oculus Quest v28 Update is releasing this week, and the rumor is Oculus Air Link might be releasing with this update. This Oculus's version of Virtual Desktop so you can play Oculus Link PCVR games wirelessly instead of connecting with a Oculus Link cable...

Well this sucks for me... after what I've been through installing a pully system for my Link Cable a few weeks ago...
:(

Still happy for this feature. But the the best part is there will be 120hz support for the Quest 2 with this update. Looks like you bought the Quest 2 at the right time... :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.