Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maradong

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
Luxembourg
Re: How about some G4 on G4 action?

Originally posted by Sol
Can you make it with dual G4s in the bed? That would be more realistic I think. ;)
lol ?
come on people. if ibm has got it , and it is rumored to be already in production, and well, it seems apple will use it as their next prozessor ( don t know anymore where i read that ) when will we get it. that is the question. it s a matter of time, not of : if.

dethl

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2002
Austin, TX
The response from this thread is as funny as these pics themselves!

Jeez...what a little photoshopping can do to brighten your day :D

mathiasr

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2003
Strasbourg, France
Originally posted by Nightstalker
did you notice, that not only the pins are different to what we've seen before of the 970, also the shape is different:

rectangular shape on the "feather" 970s but a square shape on the "official" 970 product photo...
It's probably not the same thing, the core is rectangular and a bit larger than a thumb nail, whereas the whole module is square and mesures around an inch.

To get an idea here is a gekko (Game Cube) die:
723t.jpg

The 970 die is 3 to 4 times bigger:
88t.jpg

Shown in the eye of a needle:
94t.jpg

MacWhispers

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2003
Hidden meaning here?...

Did anyone else notice that the 970 is laying flat on its back, its tiny little legs just splayed invitingly upward toward the ceiling in all three photos?

This strikes me as such a, well... hot position for a chip reputed to have such a cool, serious personality.

Is there a message here we're all missing?...

nickgold

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2001
970 glamour shots -- now I HAVE seen everything!

And it makes me kinda hot, too! Whoohoo bring it on!

LOL!

mathiasr

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2003
Strasbourg, France
Re: Hidden meaning here?...

Originally posted by MacWhispers
Did anyone else notice that the 970 is laying flat on its back, its tiny little legs just splayed invitingly upward toward the ceiling in all three photos?
I would call those "balls" not legs :D

deepkid

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
chicago
Re: Odd 970 Photos

Originally posted by Macrumors
Linked from AppleTurns.com, it appears IBM has posted, what can only be described as pseudo-erotic photos, of the PowerPC 970. .. depict the IBM 970 in various compromising positions posing with feathers.

Haha! It's refreshing to see a corporation personify technology. I bet that many people will warm up to the chip after such satire.

Oh, that photo of Jobs at the center of the chip is hilarious. :D

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
Originally posted by trebblekicked
with a chip this sexy, i can only assume the new tower cases will be transparent.

Ok - you people are officially weird.

I'm not saying I'm any different, just that you're weird.

(but this comment is pretty funny...)

dstorey

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2002
Re: How about some G4 on G4 action?

Originally posted by Sol
Can you make it with dual G4s in the bed? That would be more realistic I think. ;)

Mange á trois with the 970 and two G4's? , thats a disturbing thought you had...I'm worried now ;)

imaswitcheryeah

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2003
Brooklyn, NY

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
Next-day regret

Originally posted by dstorey
Mange á trois with the 970 and two G4's? , thats a disturbing thought you had...I'm worried now ;)

Well you know, I post that one day and wake up the next day regretting that I did it.

By the way, I thought with all things French being replaced with alternative (and hopefully temporary) names the 'ménage à trois' would be now called the 'Freedom Threesome' in America. Any takers on that?

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Re: Re: How about some G4 on G4 action?

Originally posted by dstorey

Even more disturbing is the translation of what you wrote: Eat at 3.

I never would have thought CPUs would resort to cannibalism! :eek:

[For the anal among us, the correct phrasing is "ménage à trois". :p]

Yarddog

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2003
Re: Well...Duh

Originally posted by Protean Son
Everybody outside of the mac world, and that includes IBM as they make PCs, thinks that Macs are the "colorful" computers. Peacock feathers are colorful too. I think its supposed to be a visual cue for us, because no other explanation of the pictures makes sense to me. It would not make sense to me to brag about being feather-like. I also think the sexy-peacock feather hooker thing is ... a really strange conclusion to draw.

No, the feathers are an analogy to light-weight. This means the first 970's will show up in laptops. LOL. Get real.

Nightstalker

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2003
Re: confirmed 970??

Originally posted by littlerich
woo.. take a look at this.. i think we can take this as ibm confirmation that the 970. read the last paragraph of this pdf from ibm.. it explains it all...

http://www-3.ibm.com/chips/techlib/techlib.nsf/techdocs/A2CE393ABF2CE99787256D21006AE8A2

be careful!
look at page six/bottom:
this pdf has not been released by ibm!
(look ie at the editorial or the formulation "ibm has not yet announced pricing"...)

so it's no "official hint" by ibm

Nightstalker

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
So, guys, I'm officially getting an error 400 when trying to access the pics. Anyone have them downloaded and care to stick 'em up here?

[EDIT: Okay, the links are back up and working now.]

MacWhispers

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2003
A conspiracy?... a mistake?... hmmmm...

Yep. All the photos, the .PDF file, all of it... gone.

Poof!

... like it never happened.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.