Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

1337gamedev

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2020
I had a working install of MacOS Mojave on my MacBook Pro 2010 and then upgraded to Catalina using the patcher tool (http://dosdude1.com/mojave/). It has an aftermarket SSD, and 8gb ram.

Well, I didn't pay too close attention, and updated to 10.14.4 without reading, and realized when it wouldn't boot, that i had to be careful with this update.

http://dosdude1.com/mojave/#faq (the "10.14.4" heading)

Oops. Well, I can easily reinstall macOS, but I cannot get the MacBook to chime now.

When open, the MacBook power LED lights, and then slowly dims until it's off.

Upon closing the MacBook, i can hear fan spin, but no sounds / image.

My first guess is that something odd was happening with the sensors for the lid, and its booting when closed. I plugged it into an external display, there is no image, so I don't think it's booting.

I have tried a handful of SMC / NVRAM resets using keyboard combinations, and even removed the battery carefully, and re-seated the hard drive and ram (carefully that is).

I have tried booting it with one ram module, no hard drive, no battery and various other situations.

No luck.

Well, what could be going on? I don't mind if I lose the data on the drive, as I have backups, I just am unsure why it won't boot / chime.

What should be done next, and what troubleshooting should I perform?

1337gamedev

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2020
Where is the step where you created Catalina patcher?

I created it after upgrading initially to Catalina. The OS seemed to work fine after that, but something went awry when I updated to 10.14.4...

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
I created it after upgrading initially to Catalina. The OS seemed to work fine after that, but something went awry when I updated to 10.14.4...

10.14.4 is Mojave.

Judging by the questions you are asking you are safer to stay with Mojave. Catalina will bring you down to your knees in no time.

Reactions: 1337gamedev

1337gamedev

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2020
I am a dummy. I mixed up the names.

The latest macOS is catalina, and I -HAD- mojave, and upgraded to catalina using the MacOS patcher for Catalina.

It ran fine on Catalina version 10.15.3, but updating to 10.15.4 via Apple Software Update menu in Settings, caused the machine to exhibit the problems I encountered in my main post.
I didn't upgrade my patcher version installed BEFORE this update, and then the machine is now unable to boot. Just curious on what could of happened, and how to fix it to get the machine to boot (right now it doesn't even chime - which is odd as it seems to be a software issue of some kind). Hopefully this update didn't modify firmware in a way to cause the machine to be unbootable.

Sorry for any confusion - im a dunderhead.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.