Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Squillace

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 22, 2016
Switzerland
Hi,

So maybe I understood it wrong or there's a setting or something but...

When we get a call while using the iPhone and that new banner appears on top, there's the green Answer button and the red Decline one, when I click on decline, this stops the call. Perfect. But when I click on Answer, it doesn't accept the call, it simply switches to the full screen call window and THEN I have to accept the call from there.

It seams like we have to click twice as more buttons than before. It's a waste of time and it doesn't seams very ergonomic...

Is there a setting or is this the regular behavior?

Thanks

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
This is annoying everyone I know who's recently installed iOS 14. I've been on the betas for a while and have gotten used to it. Still don't like it though.

Apparently it's a security thing so that the microphone and camera don't get activated by a quick mistaken click. I don't buy it, but that's the reason people gave.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Hi,

So maybe I understood it wrong or there's a setting or something but...

When we get a call while using the iPhone and that new banner appears on top, there's the green Answer button and the red Decline one, when I click on decline, this stops the call. Perfect. But when I click on Answer, it doesn't accept the call, it simply switches to the full screen call window and THEN I have to accept the call from there.

It seams like we have to click twice as more buttons than before. It's a waste of time and it doesn't seams very ergonomic...

Is there a setting or is this the regular behavior?

Thanks
It depends on whether or not you actually tap the green answer button. I find it that unless I tap it petty much just right it treats it the same as if I just tapped anywhere else on the banner (aside from the decline button) and just expands it to fill the screen, but if I tap it right it answers the call and keeps the call in that banner.

Squillace

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 22, 2016
Switzerland
So it's a bug, then...

It can't depend on the precision you use to aim the button. Must be a bug. Otherwise it wouldn't make any sense to include buttons that behave exactly as if they weren't there.
After posting here I actually tried to call myself through my Mac and it worked well with an audio call. It got answered and the time counter appeared on top. On a video call however, it showed me the full screen...

adrianlondon, it doesn't make any sense that it's a security thing...

sclawis300

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010
Doesn’t happen for me. It answers the call if I hit the green button. The real problem is the proximity sensor doesn’t do squat so I have to swipe up to get to the Home Screen before I hold the phone up to my face.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Doesn’t happen for me. It answers the call if I hit the green button. The real problem is the proximity sensor doesn’t do squat so I have to swipe up to get to the Home Screen before I hold the phone up to my face.
The proximity sensor aspect of it has been sort of hit or miss for me.

Ansath

macrumors demi-god
Jun 9, 2018
England
FaceTime video calls go to a full screen call window after tapping accept, by design.

Audio calls, will answer when you tap the accept button, but you have to get it dead centre, going off it pops the full screen call window, as if you just touched the banner.

Took me a couple goes to find the best way, but no issues now.

Squillace

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 22, 2016
Switzerland
FaceTime video calls go to a full screen call window after tapping accept, by design.

Audio calls, will answer when you tap the accept button, but you have to get it dead centre, going off it pops the full screen call window, as if you just touched the banner.

Took me a couple goes to find the best way, but no issues now.
That's not the case for me. It's not that hard to hit the answer button but 100% of the times it goes to full screen mode.

Before I wrote that I managed to get it working but I forgot to specify that it was on FaceTime calls.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
I have observed the same behavior, rather obnoxious to have to press 2 times to answer a phone call, and I have seen a few more instances in iOS 14 where 1 click actions are now 2 ??

but, yesterday I answered a call right from the new banner... maybe my fingers are too far and I miss hitting exactly the center of the green button??

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I had this problem last night. I was using the phone and the restaurant called me to tell me they were out of something I ordered. I answered with the green button on the banner and could see my phone display turning horizontal and vertical and my face tapping on random things as I talked on the phone, all the while frustrated at both the proximity sensor not working and having to think of something else to order from the restaurant.

This is pretty basic stuff, and we're well into the lifecycle of iOS 14. Why is it still broken???

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.