Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

prefuse07

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 27, 2020
San Francisco, CA
So I went on vacation for a month and a half, my machine was working fine both in Windows 11 and macOS, I was gaming like HELL in Windows prior to my trip. I turned my machine off completely right as I left.

Come back and now I am having some really odd behavior only in Windows.... Basically suffering from a BSOD (Black Screen Of Death).

I can't tell if it's my GPU that's dying (remember, this is only happening in Windows, which tells me my GPU is fine?), Windows itself (most likely the culprit?), GTAV (literally the only game that started causing this), or if there is indeed some issue with my AMD drivers.

I've tried various AMD drivers, different cables, and even Windows repair (for some reason keep getting an error that Windows can't repair itself, pointing to some log), and yesterday even tried restoring to a save point that I had made when the machine was working absolutely beautifully. Today I started experiencing the issues again. I am not really sure what the hell gives, but will likely just end up reinstalling Windows again.

Worst part is -- I tried to trace it with Even Viewer, but none of the errors point to anything video related, so I'm thinking it might indeed be Windows itself that's self immolating.... for whatever reason.

TL;DR -- Just wanted to check if anyone has encountered anything similar on their 7,1?

Symptoms range from the following:
  • Random BSOD (Black Screen Of Death) while hanging out on the Desktop (this is pretty rare tho)
  • BSOD when playing GTAV (the most common cause) -- Game still works (can hear audio through speakers), however my monitors power off and display "no signal, monitor going to sleep" in which case I have to hard reboot. The issue persists though -->
  • Reboot to no chime and total black screen (no signal is sent to the monitors upon reboot or even boot), but I can still hear the Windows welcome sound -- this has been happening even when I reset the SMC. Latest fix has been to perform a PRAM reset, followed by option and then choosing to boot into macOS, but i've had it once where it still booted without chime to a total black/no signal monitor. In this case I have had to hard reboot until I can see the apple logo, and then immediately Option and choose my macOS drive. My previous fix was to open the machine, disconnect my Windows drive, so the machine would automatically boot into macOS, but constantly opening this machine up is a PITA (shame on you for such a stupid design mistake, apple. 5,1 takes the cake in this scenario, because all you had to do was remove the side door and pull a drive out easily.).
  • I also from time to time frequently get it where when I reboot, I get stuck on the apple logo and nothing changes -- this too requires a hard reboot and makes me wonder if maybe even my macOS or hardware is somehow affected?

Specs are in my sig, but I'm currently running the 23.5.2 AMD Adrenalin driver -- previously was running the latest PRO version, which I think is from October 2022. That one was running pretty damn good until I got the BSOD in GTAV yesterday, and then started getting it frequently thereafter, which caused me to perform the system restore to see if that would fix things, unfortunately that restore also rolled me back to 23.5.2 (which was working fine before I left for my vacation).

Last edited:

Matty_TypeR

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2016
UK
This sounds like a GPU fault, either core issue or Ram issue, I guess you could try another display cable, just incase it has an issue.

A re install of windows would also be an option, but strange how you can still hear it has booted but with out display.

Reactions: prefuse07

prefuse07

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 27, 2020
San Francisco, CA
This sounds like a GPU fault, either core issue or Ram issue, I guess you could try another display cable, just incase it has an issue.

A re install of windows would also be an option, but strange how you can still hear it has booted but with out display.

Thanks for the response! I should've mentioned -- I have tried different cables, but the black screen/no signal issue persists... It's really weird!

Last edited:

Matty_TypeR

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2016
UK
Does the card have a dual bios switch? might be worth trying the silent bios if you have it in the performance bios. GPU faults can be tiresome for sure, some times the fault is not clear. how are the temps on the card?

prefuse07

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 27, 2020
San Francisco, CA
Screenshot 2023-08-20 at 10.05.37 PM.png

Similar issues started happening in macOS as well, so I performed a few tests -- tried switching to other PCIe lanes, and then tried both my Vega II and my RX580, both work without issues, so I think it's pretty safe to say that my 6800xt somehow crapped out, which makes no sense at all since I never pushed it to the brink.

Luckily it's still under warranty, and I am going to see if Gigabyte can RMA me a replacement -- fingers crossed!

Weird as hell that it just failed though, really doesn't make any sense. I never overclocked it, and even though I might have done a lot of gaming, it doesn't make sense that it would just stop working.

*shrug*

.... Oh yeah, I also ended up reinstalling macOS from scratch, and will probably have to do the same with Windows.

Matty_TypeR

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2016
UK
Ahhhh that is a shame to read the card has decided to crap out like that. It can happen, was only a few months ago my VII which i didn't game on decided it was not going to boot one morning, switched off one day and the next it would not boot it was dead.

Hopefully Gigabyte will RMA quickly for you, luckily still under warranty at least. and yes a fresh install can be a pain but most likely worth it. might be worth waiting for new card and trying before the new install just to make sure in all is fine.

Reactions: prefuse07

prefuse07

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 27, 2020
San Francisco, CA
So.... Gigabyte reported "No issues detected, all tests passed" and returned my card to me.

Plugged it into my 7,1 just now and everything seems fine again. About to test in Windows.

I was using my Vega II in the meantime, including gaming in Windows with it, and quite a few times when I would boot into macOS, I would get the pink lines on the screen, which means the Vega II is likely suffering from some issues -- after reading that MPX + 6900xt thread, I think I am just going to yank out my Vega II and keep just the 6800xt in there, and that hopefully should be fine.

This is weird as hell, but I am going to see what things are like in Windows...

Last edited:

prefuse07

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 27, 2020
San Francisco, CA
nah, it sits in Slot 4, MPX is in slot 1, there is plenty of room between the two:

IMG_4300.JPG

No overheating at all going on, this is something else completely different. (Drivers not loading at boot in both Windows and macOS)

prefuse07

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 27, 2020
San Francisco, CA
I am also now getting WatchdogD KP/crashes....

Just now, was checking email, and all of a sudden -- black screen, keyboard no longer functioning, monitor displays 'no signal' message and goes into sleep mode.... Shortly after the 7,1 just shuts itself off.

After rebooting, I am met with "your computer shut down because of a problem, press any key to continue"

And here is the crash report:

Screenshot 2023-09-23 at 9.49.14 AM.png

Ugh, this is so annoying.

stayupforever909

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2019
Stockholm
I am also now getting WatchdogD KP/crashes....

Just now, was checking email, and all of a sudden -- black screen, keyboard no longer functioning, monitor displays 'no signal' message and goes into sleep mode.... Shortly after the 7,1 just shuts itself off.

After rebooting, I am met with "your computer shut down because of a problem, press any key to continue"

And here is the crash report:

View attachment 2278293

Ugh, this is so annoying.
Try running Apple diagnostics

prefuse07

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 27, 2020
San Francisco, CA
To anyone reading this that may be experiencing the same issue -- my issue seems to have resolved itself once I removed my MPX module and just kept my AMD GPU in my 7,1. So if you are experiencing similar issues (WindowServer and WatchdogD kernel panics and crashes) -- remove your MPX module altogether and just keep your AMD GPU installed (also per the multiple testimonials within the MPX + 6900xt thread).

IMG_4875.JPG

Last edited:

Mac3Duser

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2021
Because of two AMD cards ? because I have the vega II and a nvidia and no problem (until now)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.