Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBoyX

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 3, 2003
East Coast, USA
I am having a bit of a problem with my Mail.

I have about 10 accounts set up and recently two of them have started constantly telling me that the server has refused the password and to enter it again. Sometimes I have to enter it 10 times, sometimes i even need to quit mail to clear it. It only happens when I leave mail open for a long time.

The tricky thing is... All 10 accounts are on the same mail server. So it's not a server issue. To further prove this, it doesn't happen on my G5 just on my PowerBook. I've tried to drop the accounts and readd them, deleted the entries out of Keychain...

iI dont want to trash the prefs file unless I have to cause I'll have to set up ALL my accounts again!

Any ideas?

Thanks

macboyX

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
This happens from time to time with some of my e-mail accounts, too... It happens because the server is down, for whatever reason... I normally just hit 'escape' and let the account be offline for a while (you'll see a ~ symbol or a ! in a triangle next to the accounts inbox (and all folders on an IMAP account)). Then when you assume the server is back up you just hit the ~ and then 'check mail', and assuming you keep your password on the keychain you will not have to re-enter the password (if the server requests it, chances are it's still down, just try again a bit later). If the sign is the ! then you'll, get a 'go online' question...

MacBoyX

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 3, 2003
East Coast, USA
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
This happens from time to time with some of my e-mail accounts, too... It happens because the server is down, for whatever reason... I normally just hit 'escape' and let the account be offline for a while (you'll see a ~ symbol or a ! in a triangle next to the accounts inbox (and all folders on an IMAP account)). Then when you assume the server is back up you just hit the ~ and then 'check mail', and assuming you keep your password on the keychain you will not have to re-enter the password (if the server requests it, chances are it's still down, just try again a bit later). If the sign is the ! then you'll, get a 'go online' question...

yes, this would normally be the problem. BUT as I stated. All of my accounts are on the same server. About ten accounts and ONLY two of them. And this does NOT happen on my G5 only on my PowerMac. Therefore I am sure it's NOT the server.

thanks.

mbx

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
MacBoyX said:
yes, this would normally be the problem. BUT as I stated. All of my accounts are on the same server. About ten accounts and ONLY two of them. And this does NOT happen on my G5 only on my PowerMac. Therefore I am sure it's NOT the server.

thanks.

mbx
If you're sure it's not the server, then have you tried (after backing everything up) to go through the ordinary checklist, before it comes to deleting prefs (which I fear you must do): Fixing permissions, rebuilding mailboxes etc.?

As I understand you it's the same two that keeps making trouble...? What do you mean when you say all accounts are on the same server, is it 10 differnet accounts on one domain, or different domains all hosted on the same (physical) server...?

MacBoyX

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 3, 2003
East Coast, USA
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
If you're sure it's not the server, then have you tried (after backing everything up) to go through the ordinary checklist, before it comes to deleting prefs (which I fear you must do): Fixing permissions, rebuilding mailboxes etc.?

As I understand you it's the same two that keeps making trouble...? What do you mean when you say all accounts are on the same server, is it 10 differnet accounts on one domain, or different domains all hosted on the same (physical) server...?

I have done all of the above :( I fear also I must delete my prefs. I have my own domain http://www.macboyx.com, and I have mulitple mail accounts on this domain and they are all on the same mail server.

Thanks so much!

mbx

skybolt

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2005
Nashville, TN, USA
I got some relief from a similar problem when I set my mail to check for new mail less often than I had previously set it. Seems some servers don't like it when you access too often. I'm at every 5 minutes now, with no problems. Maybe this would work for you?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.