Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daledenton9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2021
I have the latest ATV4K with match range/frame on. It’s set to 4K SDR 60Hz. This definitely started after tvos 15.

Here is the issue: if I am watching Dolby Vision content (Netflix or ATV+ for example) and I pause to do something, the screensaver will come up (of course switching to SDR picture mode since match range is on). Then when I come back and resume it will switch back to Dolby Vision picture mode as it should.

The problem is the picture is wrong when I resume, it’s over brightened/saturated. It takes 30+ seconds of playing until it corrects the picture. I can visually see it happen realtime (there is no black screen change). I can also force the picture to correct itself if I back out to the home screen and go back, instead of waiting for it. It almost seems like a weird buffer thing but only happens coming out of the screensaver.

Is this an os 15 bug? Does anyone else notice this? I can replicate 100% of the time. I have restarted, factory reset and tried different hdmi cables/ports as well.

Gator5000e

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2018
Have you tried turning match frame rate off? You will still get DV in a DV movie or show but it just seems to solve a number of problems.

mhmercer

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2019
This is expected behavior. You have reduced the video to SDR by going to the screensaver. When you switch back to the show, Netflix sends metadata to the TV that the video is in DV. The TV --and the ATV-- takes a moment to switch over from SDR to DV. It should take the same amount of time to switch as it took after you selected and started the Netflix video in the first place.

daledenton9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2021
This is expected behavior. You have reduced the video to SDR by going to the screensaver. When you switch back to the show, Netflix sends metadata to the TV that the video is in DV. The TV --and the ATV-- takes a moment to switch over from SDR to DV. It should take the same amount of time to switch as it took after you selected and started the Netflix video in the first place.
Are you referring to the 1-2 second black screen when you switch from SDR to DV or HDR? That’s not what I’m referring to. The black screen occurs as it should but the issue happens after the TV has already switched to dolby vision picture mode. The actual picture brightness/color changes about a 30sec- a minute later which is definitely not intended and have not been seeing this before os 15.

Gator5000e

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2018
You should post your question over at AVSForums.com if you haven't already. Many super qualified tech folks over there who know all sorts of stuff. it's worth registering if you are not a member of the forum. Lots of different sections to try to get your issue sorted.

Of course, they will want toknow you set up.....TV, how the ATV is connected, AVR, etc.

mhmercer

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2019
Are you referring to the 1-2 second black screen when you switch from SDR to DV or HDR? That’s not what I’m referring to. The black screen occurs as it should but the issue happens after the TV has already switched to dolby vision picture mode. The actual picture brightness/color changes about a 30sec- a minute later which is definitely not intended and have not been seeing this before os 15.
Yes --the 1-2 second black screen. Sorry that you have something else going on. I have 15.1 RC. I'll check to see if I can replicate what you see. Have you tried putting the ATV to sleep later than what you have done? Perhaps it is the screensaver app that is causing the problem?

daledenton9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2021
Yes --the 1-2 second black screen. Sorry that you have something else going on. I have 15.1 RC. I'll check to see if I can replicate what you see. Have you tried putting the ATV to sleep later than what you have done? Perhaps it is the screensaver app that is causing the problem?
Thanks. Let me know if you see the issue. I’m on the latest 15.1 beta and still see the issue.

Also what do you mean by “Have you tried putting the ATV to sleep later than what you have done”?

mhmercer

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2019
Thanks. Let me know if you see the issue. I’m on the latest 15.1 beta and still see the issue.

Also what do you mean by “Have you tried putting the ATV to sleep later than what you have done”?
Settings->General->Sleep After->[time]. Try <Never>, then see what happens.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
What television are you using? I had some issues with a C8 suddenly dimming down. Turns out it was due to a TV setting.

Reactions: satcomer

eightdotthree

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2018
I have the latest ATV4K with match range/frame on. It’s set to 4K SDR 60Hz. This definitely started after tvos 15.

Here is the issue: if I am watching Dolby Vision content (Netflix or ATV+ for example) and I pause to do something, the screensaver will come up (of course switching to SDR picture mode since match range is on). Then when I come back and resume it will switch back to Dolby Vision picture mode as it should.

The problem is the picture is wrong when I resume, it’s over brightened/saturated. It takes 30+ seconds of playing until it corrects the picture. I can visually see it happen realtime (there is no black screen change). I can also force the picture to correct itself if I back out to the home screen and go back, instead of waiting for it. It almost seems like a weird buffer thing but only happens coming out of the screensaver.

Is this an os 15 bug? Does anyone else notice this? I can replicate 100% of the time. I have restarted, factory reset and

eightdotthree

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2018
I've noticed this too, but my recation was the opposite of yours. I resume a video and then I'm immediately thinking "wow, that really is an impressive picture" and then suddenly the whole screen has a darkened overlay and all the brightness and colors all tone down quite a bit. Id say its about 30 seconds after resuming. This is not the blank screen while switching to dv/hdr and Ive only noticed it in the past month or so. This on an ATV and LG B9, newest Apple TV.

Reactions: coso

daledenton9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2021
What television are you using? I had some issues with a C8 suddenly dimming down. Turns out it was due to a TV setting.
I have the CX but I’m calibrated and all dimming features are off. I see it in Netflix and ATV+. I also tried on an older ATV4K that was on 14.5 which is connected to a samsung (so only HDR not DV streams) and I can still see similar behavior although it corrected faster, maybe because it’s on ethernet. So no I’m wondering if it’s the streams/apps now. No way I wouldn’t have noticed this before.

daledenton9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2021
I've noticed this too, but my recation was the opposite of yours. I resume a video and then I'm immediately thinking "wow, that really is an impressive picture" and then suddenly the whole screen has a darkened overlay and all the brightness and colors all tone down quite a bit. Id say its about 30 seconds after resuming. This is not the blank screen while switching to dv/hdr and Ive only noticed it in the past month or so. This on an ATV and LG B9, newest Apple TV.
My first reaction as well. But it is really just changing to the correct picture. You can check on an iPhone and compare. Whatever it’s initially showing may look brighter and vivid but definitely not correct.

w5jck

Suspended
Nov 9, 2013
Well, tvOS 15 seems a bit buggy overall. Apple has never fully addressed the whole DV, HDR, SDR, match frame rate and dynamic range setting issues. I now see why Apple at first made everyone use DV for everything. Once they added the setting options it became a mess to control, and they haven't been able to get it totally right yet.

Normally I suggest people set the ATV 4K to use SDR with matching frame rate and dynamic range turned on. Unfortunately that means the screensavers will appear in SDR. If you use HDR instead, keeping the matching options turned on, then the screensavers are in HDR, and they are a different set of screensavers too. Apple appears to have a set of SDR screensavers and a separate set for HDR. You might try using the default to HDR setting and see if that helps, although DV is probably still going to act up a bit after the switch. I think the default HDR setting uses HDR10, so it will still need to switch to DV.

w5jck

Suspended
Nov 9, 2013
BTW, I used to always leave my ATV 4K set to SDR with match frame rate and dynamic range turned on. I get the best interface menus and app menus that way. If you use HDR with match frame rate and dynamic range turned on, then the menus and interface get brighter, which can be an issue in a dark room. Setting everything to DV makes the interface way more bright. But recently I’ve switched to using HDR for the default as that seems to be a decent middle ground, and I can get the true HDR screensavers as well. But clearly, there is no perfect solution.

daledenton9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2021
BTW, I used to always leave my ATV 4K set to SDR with match frame rate and dynamic range turned on. I get the best interface menus and app menus that way. If you use HDR with match frame rate and dynamic range turned on, then the menus and interface get brighter, which can be an issue in a dark room. Setting everything to DV makes the interface way more bright. But recently I’ve switched to using HDR for the default as that seems to be a decent middle ground, and I can get the true HDR screensavers as well. But clearly, there is no perfect solution.
May be worth a test. I will see if setting HDR makes a difference with the behavior. I also prefer keeping 4K SDR as default for menus and apps.

daledenton9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2021
So it doesn’t seem to happen if I’m set to HDR already. Not sure what that means. Something odd in the stream or app locking SDR in the buffer coming out of the screensaver? But not when it’s HDR.

I definitely can’t set HDR as default. Already have a headache from testing lol. Plus, there is no way to get RGB High when it switches to SDR. It always defaults to ycbcr 444 and there is a green tint which I want to avoid since my tv is calibrated.

Oh well. Not sure how this will be fixed.

coso

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2012

Noticing this too with a Sony XH90 sometimes

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.