Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bergstruhm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2019
Umeå, Sverige
Hi.

My iMac (27" 5K, 2015) started acting strange a couple weeks ago. Video glitches that flashed by quickly; mostly horizontal lines, but also big blocks of color, distortions. I did a screen recording and they didn't register, but you can see some photos here: image no. 1, image no. 2.

I immediately assumed this was an issue of hardware, but it didn't reoccur until maybe a week later, and once it did I noticed that it's somehow tied to the software/OS side of things. This time the glitches only occurred when I hovered over a horizontal scrollbar within Safari. If the cursor was above or below: no glitches. If the cursor was level with the scrollbar, but outside of the Safari window: no glitches.

I filmed myself exploring the problem here:

Is this a known issue, or one that you can make sense of? Is it a software or a hardware issue? If it's an unknown issue, how would I best move forward with finding its source?

Since these problems arrived, I have moved over to a fresh copy of OS X (10.14.3) on an SSD. (Although my "old" account, with its applications and files, are still stored on the HDD.) The display was replaced with a new one by an authorized Apple retailer this past spring, and it's been working great ever since. I have had no other issues with the computer aside from slow performance (hence me moving over to an SSD).

All help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Filip

ZStech

Suspended
Feb 3, 2019
Hi.

My iMac (27" 5K, 2015) started acting strange a couple weeks ago. Video glitches that flashed by quickly; mostly horizontal lines, but also big blocks of color, distortions. I did a screen recording and they didn't register, but you can see some photos here: image no. 1, image no. 2.

I immediately assumed this was an issue of hardware, but it didn't reoccur until maybe a week later, and once it did I noticed that it's somehow tied to the software/OS side of things. This time the glitches only occurred when I hovered over a horizontal scrollbar within Safari. If the cursor was above or below: no glitches. If the cursor was level with the scrollbar, but outside of the Safari window: no glitches.

I filmed myself exploring the problem here:

Is this a known issue, or one that you can make sense of? Is it a software or a hardware issue? If it's an unknown issue, how would I best move forward with finding its source?

Since these problems arrived, I have moved over to a fresh copy of OS X (10.14.3) on an SSD. (Although my "old" account, with its applications and files, are still stored on the HDD.) The display was replaced with a new one by an authorized Apple retailer this past spring, and it's been working great ever since. I have had no other issues with the computer aside from slow performance (hence me moving over to an SSD).

All help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Filip
Try to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your iMac: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.