Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boomerlabs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2021
I just purchased what I thought was a Mac Classic, upon further investigation, the front panel says "Macintosh Classic" but the back panel and "guts" are Classic II. So my question is: Have I stumbled upon some odd Mac configuration or is it more likely that during servicing the wrong face plate was used? I ask because it appears that it would take A LOT of work replace the faceplate and I can't imagine having to strip this thing down so far (nevermind two of them to get them swapped).

If it helps: It looks like a revision A board, has a HDD and 10 MB of RAM. I purchased the machine from a middle school in the US (Kansas).

Thanks!

hardon

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2003
UK Kent
Probably a classic that has been upgraded at some point by a previous owner.

your lucky, compared with a classic logic board, the classic II is a lot more capable,
And worth more than your expected classic board. ?

boomerlabs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2021
Probably a classic that has been upgraded at some point by a previous owner.

your lucky, compared with a classic logic board, the classic II is a lot more capable,
And worth more than your expected classic board. ?
Hardon, yeah, except the entire backplate is the classic ii (label, audio in etc), not just the board.

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
Bingo! That must be it, thanks! Do you know if this upgrade kit had any distinguishing markings etc? I assume not, but thought I'd ask.
The serial number label may look hand drawn, transferred, not present, or unlike an Apple label. I'm not certain if it is a specific or stock model number on the rear label.

boomerlabs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2021
@MacTech68 - Spot on, I never noticed this before (see attached), there is no serial whatsoever. Thanks everyone!

OK, now to restoring. Its not recognizing the HDD, my first plan is to replace the PRAM battery and cleaning the board and seeing if that helps. Next, I'm considering replacing the capacitors, any other troubleshooting hints I should consider first?

Attachments

• Back_Plate.jpg
    Back_Plate.jpg
    314.2 KB · Views: 91

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
Mac Classic/Classic II logic boards are notorious for leaking surface mounted electrolytic capacitors. Generally, you need to remove the old ones, clean the leaked, corrosive electrolyte and possible repair or jumper tracks that have been etched completely through (sometimes just a hair's width). Methods vary. Some will try cutting the capacitors to aid removing them, others will use fresh solder and an abundance of patience.

Be prepared for a terrible rotting fish smell when heat is applied near or on the leaked electrolyte.

Take some good pictures before cleaning - you should see glossy, wet looking patches where the leaks have run.

Cleaning can be a gentle 1" paintbrush, toothbrush with a good flushing of isopropyl alcohol and some even use a dish-washer. Personally, if I were to use a dishwasher (which I don't), I'd be concerned about adequate drying, even in places you CAN'T see (inside the rear sockets and under ICs). In this case, a compressor may help to "flush" out any excess water.

Replacement caps also vary. I use surface mounted Tantalum Capacitors, but you need to be careful in choosing the correct case size as well as voltage & capacitance. Others use standard small radial thru-hole electrolytics with some unique lead bends to fit the original pads - care needs to be taken if using radial mounted caps, to NOT bump them and rip the tracks they're soldered to.

Next is the Analog Power/Sweep board. Some can be quite bad with leaking capacitors and corroding tracks on the solder side, and some components' legs nearly etched away (see the link below for a analog board repair saga with pics).

Good luck !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.