Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blackstick

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 11, 2014
OH
Wanted to check in and let you guys know that if you're looking for a sweet monitor/TV that can do double-duty as a monitor for your Mac, or gaming PC, or consoles... the 42" LG C2 OLED TV is a sweet option. Really stunning. Like an iPhone display, but for your Mac. Gorgeous resolution and particularly on PS5 games, dazzles. The Mac only does 60Hz, but it works perfectly smooth. I made a quick video summing it up for anyone curious. Still cheaper than Apple's studio display, especially if you want the fancier mount.

Reactions: bobcomer

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
I'd warn against using these with a Mac. You will be limited to 4K 60 Hz 10-bit 4:2:0 if you don't do EDID overrides to disable 10-bit color. 4:2:0 is absolutely awful for desktop use as e.g red and blue texts will look like garbage. With MacOS not offering the option to set bit depth or chroma subsampling, it just chooses a bad option for these TVs. HDR support was also very erratic whether it worked or not and with the display forced to 8-bit color the HDR option became unavailable.

I used the LG CX 48" for two years with my Mac. No burn in. I was really annoyed that even with DP to HDMI 2.1 adapters you can't get 4K 120 Hz no matter what on MacOS. It seems to be a MacOS limitation because the exact same adapter has no issue in Windows.

Otherwise these OLED TVs are a very nice option if you can handle the size and reflections on the glossy panel.

Blackstick

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 11, 2014
OH
I'd warn against using these with a Mac. You will be limited to 4K 60 Hz 10-bit 4:2:0 if you don't do EDID overrides to disable 10-bit color. 4:2:0 is absolutely awful for desktop use as e.g red and blue texts will look like garbage. With MacOS not offering the option to set bit depth or chroma subsampling, it just chooses a bad option for these TVs. HDR support was also very erratic whether it worked or not and with the display forced to 8-bit color the HDR option became unavailable.

I used the LG CX 48" for two years with my Mac. No burn in. I was really annoyed that even with DP to HDMI 2.1 adapters you can't get 4K 120 Hz no matter what on MacOS. It seems to be a MacOS limitation because the exact same adapter has no issue in Windows.

Otherwise these OLED TVs are a very nice option if you can handle the size and reflections on the glossy panel.
I had all sorts of weird color issues when trying to use it with HDR on the Mac, but it hasn't been much of a problem in standard 60Hz mode on the Mac. To your point, it's much nicer on 120Hz Windows PC, but the Mac looks fine... not awesome, but pretty good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.