Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrs22

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 1, 2012
i have my iPad Air in a speck durafolio case which protects the screen etc from drops. I'm wondering if the new Apple silicone case and Smart Cover provide any protection for Ms Butterfingers. I didn't want to spend that kind of money on a case for my iPad mini 4, but then I saw the lavender color and now I'm tempted.

jrs22

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 1, 2012
Does the lack of response mean that the case and cover just protect the surface and not the innards?

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Does the lack of response mean that the case and cover just protect the surface and not the innards?

Not sure exactly how to answer your question but I can tell you that I have a Mini 2 in the Apple leather Smart Case, which has both the back and screen cover. I've dropped it several times on the train (linoleum over wood) and at work (carpet over concrete) without any damage of any kind to the Mini. I just bought a Mini 4 and a the two piece case/cover, and my guess is that they will be at least as protective. Obviously we are not talking about Otterbox Defender level protection, but for everyday use I have been quite happy.

jrs22

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 1, 2012
Thanks for the feedback. I ended up buying the apple silicone case and cover. The mini is easier to hold securely than the standard size iPads anyway. Also, the magnets are so strong that the cover never shifts when I carry the iPad in a bag, so I'm sure it's going to travel with me much more than my other iPads ever did.

Maybe I'll never test the drop protection, but I think the silicone case is more protective than the leather one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.