Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

odin

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 22, 2002
I've been unable to find current resources relating to the Office 2016 "bug/feature" where MS decided to install a separate set of fonts for each app in the suite, thus adding something over 2GB in size to the install.

Has this been resolved in current versions of the software? I never updated because of this; but, I'm going to have to use some of them soon for a work related issue and really don't want all those duplicates on my system. Originally you could move them and script them to work but each update added them back.

I saw posted that perhaps this issue has been resolved and no longer requires editing anything beyond just moving the fonts to the proper fonts folder and deleting duplicates.

So, since I can't find anything online other than really old posts about this that are at least a year or well over in age, I wanted to ask if you guys had any updated information or tips.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
Chiming in here with Office 2016 installed (O365). IMO the Fonts folder was really never much of an issue, being maybe 25-35MB in volume for each app. The larger issue for file bloat was - and still is - the volume of the collective Frameworks, Resources, and SharedSupport folders. I use the word "volume" as something with volume takes up space, a la our drives, whereas "size" doesn't describe displacement quite as much. That last bit written, in each of those apps those 3 directories exist - even in Outlook - to the volume ranging from 900MB for OneNote to 1.97GB for Word (Excel - 1.74GB; PowerPoint - 1.65GB; Outlook - 1.62GB).

I didn't check Skype as I haven't installed it on my Mac and use Skype on a cheap Lumia 640 with a hacked Win 10 ROM - Skype runs much better on the Lumia than it does on my Mac.

I have tried a few times to pare down some of the Resource and SharedSupport folders - I do speak Portuguese and Spanish and French and some Norwegian but never will use them in Office. I have not been able to run an app with unused languages installed (following the lead of App Shaver…) but then the app won't run. Restoring from a copy/backup of the pared-down app leads to the message that Office needs to be re-installed and, following, authenticated. Again, I'm using my Office 365 Home license, not a standalone Office install with a SN.

Yes, I'm still grumpy about this… :mad::oops:

odin

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 22, 2002
I believe it has been resolved, however, to make sure you should ask in the MS Office Forum.
Thanks! When I searched for the issue, most old related posts were in this one. My bad for not thinking to put it there!
[doublepost=1483562052][/doublepost]
Yes, I'm still grumpy about this… :mad::oops:

I can understand why. I've been happy as can be without this crap. hehe

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.