Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mooseknucklechuck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2018
Just bought my wife an apple watch series 3. Her work requires a passcode (or facial recognition) for her remote email account. Her passcode requires numeric, alphabetic and special character. This is now required every time she wants to access her watch. Can we delete the email app from the watch? Not that I can tell. Passcode disablement is greyed out.

Any suggestions? Work arounds? This flaw makes her want to return the thing.

anthlis

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2016
Note I'm a user (engineer) not IT... I have to have the MS Authenticator and MS Company Portal apps on my iphone and the only thing I had to do was change from a 4-digit passcode to a 5-digit passcode on my Watch (obviously different to the Office 365 strong password) to be able to see my work emails through the watch. Seems it could be down to your wife's IT dept than Apple or Microsoft? Assuming you mean the Outlook email app on the watch - yes it can be deleted.

KrisLord

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2008
Northumberland, UK
Outlook email or iOS built in email?

Is it wanting a password to unlock the watch when you’ve taken it off, or every time your raise your wrist?

I’ve got the outlook app for work and they enforce some security but it doesn’t sound as strict as your wife’s. My watch just needs a pin to unlock in the morning, but this is needed anyway to enable Apple Pay.

mooseknucklechuck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2018
Can she uncheck the work email in the watch app?

She cannot. It's the iOS email
[doublepost=1520005269][/doublepost]
Note I'm a user (engineer) not IT... I have to have the MS Authenticator and MS Company Portal apps on my iphone and the only thing I had to do was change from a 4-digit passcode to a 5-digit passcode on my Watch (obviously different to the Office 365 strong password) to be able to see my work emails through the watch. Seems it could be down to your wife's IT dept than Apple or Microsoft? Assuming you mean the Outlook email app on the watch - yes it can be deleted.

Not the Outlook app. It's the built in iOS email connected maybe I will try changing it to the Outlook app. Yes it up to her IT dept
[doublepost=1520005302][/doublepost]
Outlook email or iOS built in email?

Is it wanting a password to unlock the watch when you’ve taken it off, or every time your raise your wrist?

I’ve got the outlook app for work and they enforce some security but it doesn’t sound as strict as your wife’s. My watch just needs a pin to unlock in the morning, but this is needed anyway to enable Apple Pay.
Thanks I'm going to try this

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
Definitely switch to the Outlook app. That should solve your issue. Our Office365 configuration requires only a 4 digit passcode, so I can get away with using either the Outlook app or the native mail app. I actually prefer using the Outlook app for mail, but I do use the native calendar’s activesync to sync calendar items to Fantastical.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.