Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 24, 2014
Updated Edge and noticed that Office 365 is now free on Edge. Is this a new promo?

1645038665540.png

Looking into it further it's free with an existing or new Microsoft account and appears to also work with Chrome.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/free-productivity-apps
1645038770160.png

Tip: If you get an error logging in with Microsoft @live.com email address just browse to accounts.microsoft.com, go to Your info, Edit account info, add an @outlook.com alias and use that to log into Office 365.

1645038977076.png

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 24, 2014
Strange must've flew under the radar. Have only seen it as limited time trial but maybe that was for Office 365 thick app.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Yeah, that's been available for free online for quite a while, but considering how flakey Microsoft is with their offerings, it's not easy to keep up. Their licensing restrictions for free access to Office on Android and iOS was enough to cause one to give up in confusion.

The web version of Office is quite advanced. I discovered that if I save my .docx files on my desktop with the embedded font option, and then upload to OneDrive, Word online can display the file perfectly. Many of my documents use a unique US Letter page in landscape format, 2 column, short side duplex, with paragraph styles that use a custom font of my handwriting.

The web version of Apple Pages used to be able to handle that too, but they took a step backward and so the custom font gets substituted... but not a close substitute so things are way off when working online (but are fine on the desktop).

Reactions: Donfor39

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 24, 2014
Too bad Office 365 web app isn't as good as the thick app but still better than paying a subscription for the times when someone decides to send a document you have to fill out in Word format instead of PDF. The web version in edit mode has cut off text on the right edge while version history shows it correctly.

Reactions: Donfor39

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
The web apps have been a thing since the latest Xbox One updates too. At least a year or so ago LTT did a video about how the Xbox One is more like a PC given the Edge browser accesses web apps and makes it capable just as much, including connecting to a wifi printer.

Personally, I love where Microsoft is going. They're a far cry from the evil corporation of the 1990s.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
I have a MS Account (local accounts are useless for many OSs, including Samsung's Android skin, Google's Android, etc) so that doesn't really affect me. Heck, using a Mac or iPhone without an Apple ID is either impossible or severely limited. Can't exactly blame MS for this. Everyone's doing it.

I would still prefer they didn't shove Windows on every OEM PC sold, since that technically still violates the law that got them into the whole Anti-trust lawsuit years ago, but oh well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.