Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Knisse

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2012
Hello there,

I need help with an sync issue involving office Excel for iphone combined with my dropbox. I have an excel document in my dropbox folder that i use for write things i need to do, calculatering monthly spending etc.

What i need is basically an excel document stored in dropbox, that i can open with my computer and my phone and edit without it getting stored on the phone/computer but constantly located at my dropbox.
The issue i face right now, is that office excel with my phone saves the excel file at my phone so it suddenly has multiple versions of the file - hugh clutter.

Rephrased, is it possible to just open and edit excel files which are stored in dropbox without having to store in the excel office APP on my phone?

Thanks!

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Excel now supports dropbox, so you should be able to use that on iOS and OSX. I personally prefer OneDrive so I don't use dropbox, but there was a news story about Office supporting DropBox.

Knisse

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2012
Excel now supports dropbox, so you should be able to use that on iOS and OSX. I personally prefer OneDrive so I don't use dropbox, but there was a news story about Office supporting DropBox.

Very true, they do support both dropbox and of course OneDrive, but (mine at least) saves my excel file locally on the phone. I am unable to get it to automally sync and keep the file in dropbox.

To specific, the issues is if you edit something in the Excel file on the mac, automatically sync to dropbox, and then try to open it in dropbox (with office Excel) on the phone. It just opens a previous version and a orange triangle warning appears.
/Edit, there is apparently a fix, if you click on the orange triangle and use the "open file without my previous edit" then it opens the correct version. Lets hope it actually works in the long run.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.