Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jagooch

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2009
Denver, co
I'm running Windows 10 in bootcamp on my 2015 Macbook Pro , and found out today my employer participates in the Microsoft at home program which lets employees purchase MS Office at a steeply discounted price.

I can get it the Mac or Windows version for the same price. I'm mostly getting it for Excel as I have to use it for monthly expense reports, but I also have some other purposes for it. I'm looking at getting Visio ( vs Omnigraffle ) too, but that isn't included in the Office versions I can get. I think I read that Visio is only available on Windows.

The way I see the pros and cons
Windows version: all the features. Integrates with Visio if I get it. Not convenient since I need to run Parallels * VM or boot into Windows to use it. Parallels makes my cooling fans go into turbo mode.
* Mac version: Convenient, no turbo cooling fan noise. Missing features. No Visio integration with Visio if I get it.

Thoughts?

jagooch

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2009
Denver, co
If it was me, I would get the Mac version, because this is the OS I use the most.

Are you using your Mac side or Windows side the most?
Since I installed Windows 10 2 days ago, I've used Mac the most. It will be a while before I know how much I'll be using Windows.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Since I installed Windows 10 2 days ago, I've used Mac the most. It will be a while before I know how much I'll be using Windows.

I would go with Mac then.

If you find yourself hardly ever using Windows, it might be PITA to keep having to boot to your Windows OS every time you want to use Office.

If your employer is like my employer, you will probably be offered the next version of Office at the reduce price, and you can always buy the other OS's version then.

jagooch

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2009
Denver, co
I would go with Mac then.

If you find yourself hardly ever using Windows, it might be PITA to keep having to boot to your Windows OS every time you want to use Office.

If your employer is like my employer, you will probably be offered the next version of Office at the reduce price, and you can always buy the other OS's version then.

You missed that I'm running Parallels 14, so I can run T the bootcamp.install of Windows as a VM off I don't want to boot into windows.

My employer is in Microsoft's.Employer Home Use Program, which let's me purchase selected MS apps on the cheap for person use. right now they only offer MS Office.

You're right about not investing too much into windows right now. Currently I only need it to run Visio and also some Steam games while traveling.

rbrian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
My employer lets me buy both for about £10 each - it's so cheap in the Home Use Program, why bother to choose?

I didn't buy either, instead I share Office 365, bought when it's on sale, for about £20 per year. OneDrive alone is worth that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.