Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

freddyboyw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2015
UK
Hi, new joiner to post this.

Has anyone heard of Office or iWork suites being made available on the new Apple TV app store?

I'm sure it wouldn't suit everyone, but it would me. And quite compelling little iOS work from home device for my TV and at the monitor in my home office.

Cheers

Last edited:

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
How would this be any different from AirPlaying the apps from your iPhone/iPad/Mac?

freddyboyw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2015
UK
How would this be any different from AirPlaying the apps from your iPhone/iPad/Mac?

I don't know. I guess wouldn't need to and can keep the iPad free for music or other browsing, and have the office screen up on the monitor. Or in a conference room could maybe be of use.
Same could be said for all the streaming media apps and most games I guess.

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
By all accounts, there is no Bluetooth keyboard support with the new Apple TV and has been suggested this would be to stop people from using the Apple TV as a cut price, entry level Mac replacement. This lack of keyboard support would make an office suite of limited value.

freddyboyw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2015
UK
By all accounts, there is no Bluetooth keyboard support with the new Apple TV and has been suggested this would be to stop people from using the Apple TV as a cut price, entry level Mac replacement. This lack of keyboard support would make an office suite of limited value.

that's a shame, thanks!

mox358

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2002
Indiana
While I don't see the need for a full office suite with editing support and whatnot, it would be quite nice to have a Keynote and/or Powerpoint player for presentations. Pulling documents straight from iCloud/OneDrive would be useful.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
that's a shame, thanks!
It's not just a shame, it's another dick-move by :apple:

When they announced the new :apple: TV I was quite thrilled.
They claimed that it runs 99% of iOS apps and supports 3rd party bluetooth controls (aka keyboards). Turns out they were telling us a load of ********.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
It's not just a shame, it's another dick-move by :apple:

When they announced the new :apple: TV I was quite thrilled.
They claimed that it runs 99% of iOS apps and supports 3rd party bluetooth controls (aka keyboards). Turns out they were telling us a load of ********.

You must have watched a different conference than I did. They made no claim that it would run 99% of iOS app as all. They also announced that it would be compatible with third party gaming controllers (which it is,) again, no mention of keyboards at all.

dearfriendx

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2011
San Diego, CA
On 9to5Mac they suggest which bluetooth keyboards to buy to use with the new Apple TV. Why would they if it didn't support them?

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
On 9to5Mac they suggest which bluetooth keyboards to buy to use with the new Apple TV. Why would they if it didn't support them?

It definitely does not support bluetooth keyboards at this time, or at least that was what was said by an Apple representative on the developer forums.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.