Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

compukortschnoi

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2015
Hello everybody,

I got a problem here with macOS 10.15.4 (Supplemental Update). I have set up my Exchange account via the „Internet Accounts“ to use it in Apple Mail. But every hour or so a message appears that password input is necessary. Then I have to repeat the whole connection process again before I can access the newest mails. Pretty annoying.

Deleting the account and setting it up again via the „Internet Accounts“ didn‘t have any effect.

According to its notes, the Supplemental Update should have solved the issue. But it didn't for me.

Somebody out there knowing how to finally solve it?

I‘m looking forward to your answers.

Kind regards,
compukortschnoi

Last edited:

compukortschnoi

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2015
I have found the solution. For all those who have the same problem, here's a trick:

1. Remove the Exchange account via macOS system settings.
2. Temporarily set up the Exchange account as a normal IMAP account. The IMAP server is outlook.office365.com, the SMTP server smtp.office365.com (for users of the German cloud it is outlook.office.de and smtp.office.de). As I said, only temporarily.
3. Wait for a few hours now, but maybe it will also work immediately.
4. Remove the IMAP account again and set up the Exchange account once time.

No password prompts anymore! :) Don't know why but it worked.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Because in most cases, an Exchange account is not only mails.

You can turn off mail in the Exchange account and add it as IMAP. I did that on my iPhone so that I could move messages freely between accounts. You can't move a message to an Exchange folder from another account in iOS.

However, on you Mac you shouldn't be having the password issue. Who's your Exchange provider?

Last edited:

compukortschnoi

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2015
You can turn off mail in the Exchange account and add it as IMAP. I did that on my iPhone so that I could move messages freely between accounts. You can't move a message to an Exchange folder from another account in iOS.

I know. But it worked for me until 10.15.4 so I didn't consider to change my setup.

However, on you Mac you shouldn't be having the password issue. Who's your Exchange provider?

My provider is Microsoft (Office365). And as you can read in the notes of the Supplemental Update, there must have a been a larger problem with this reappearing password prompts, otherwise Apple wouldn't have fixed it with the update. The only problem was that they didn't fix it for everyone. ;)

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I know. But it worked for me until 10.15.4 so I didn't consider to change my setup.

My provider is Microsoft (Office365). And as you can read in the notes of the Supplemental Update, there must have a been a larger problem with this reappearing password prompts, otherwise Apple wouldn't have fixed it with the update. The only problem was that they didn't fix it for everyone. ;)

Is this a new Mac? I haven't had one running the latest macOS release in years (worked on many, though). As a result I'm always behind the current release headaches.

compukortschnoi

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2015
Mail asks for your password when it can connect to your email provider, but can't connect to your email account because your email provider isn't accepting your email password.To know the reasons and solution, You may follow this reference- https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204187

It wasn‘t a password related issue. Webmail was always working.

And if you read the whole thread you‘ll learn that the problem has been solved.
[automerge]1587582807[/automerge]
Is this a new Mac? I haven't had one running the latest macOS release in years (worked on many, though). As a result I'm always behind the current release headaches.
Lucky you. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.