Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cyberdogl2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2003
not sure if this is known but it was the first time i read that an official homekit app will be in the next version of ios.

currently, the only review of the homekit August Smart Lock is by an actual apple employee. the person ends the lengthy review with
"The next version of iOS due this fall will have a standalone "HomeKit" app as well."

this is news to me because i was about to buy an app the manage my homekit items, i think for $15. i think i'll wait to see what the next version of iOS has to offer for free.

edit: the author of that review "C. Dorschel" could be Cory Dorschel, marcom for apple

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2015
I really hope so, I get that Homekit is just a framework but it's misleading and it desperately needs it's own proprietary app/interface.

OCDMacGeek

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2007
not sure if this is known but it was the first time i read that an official homekit app will be in the next version of ios.

currently, the only review of the homekit August Smart Lock is by an actual apple employee. the person ends the lengthy review with
"The next version of iOS due this fall will have a standalone "HomeKit" app as well."

this is news to me because i was about to buy an app the manage my homekit items, i think for $15. i think i'll wait to see what the next version of iOS has to offer for free.

edit: the author of that review "C. Dorschel" could be Cory Dorschel, marcom for apple

That is really interesting, and I hope it is true! In other news, I just got my August smart locks and doorbell camera devices. I will be installing them soon.

Reactions: cyberdogl2

kepardue

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2006

You know, it really is a pretty big missing piece of the picture. I mean, I appreciate all these different apps being able to put their own spin on the HomeKit configuration, but without a central Apple anchor to give it all vision, it just comes off as scaffolding without any substance.

Frankly though, I'd be satisfied if they just make the framework more stable. I have two ecobee thermostats. It gets old that at least one, usually both are unreachable half the time I use them, and take full seconds to update on their status even when they are reachable. I have an Apple Time Capsule and two Apple TVs. It's not like I'm running a system that Apple shouldn't be playing well with.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.