Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 6, 2003
NY
Well, having played around with the iPod video, I think we need to harvest our collective knowledge on getting videos onto this puppy. If you looking for a good source for music videos and on downloading, look here:https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/154452/
But this thread is about converting other video types into iPod video compatable formats. Here's what I've found so far.

The most obvious way it just to open quicktime and select the export for iPod 320x240 option. But this, I've found, is the slowest and worst option.

I soon discovered a program called iSquint, iSquint, which does an amazingly fast and quality job when compared to apple's alternative. But even it has it's limitations when compared to more robust alternatives.

I tried playing around with FFMPEGX and VLC for conversion, but to no avail. Anyone else like to share advice they have on he topic?

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
The latest version of ffmpegX, 0.0.9u, has two iPod-specific presets. One H.264 preset for on-screen viewing, and one MPEG-4 preset for higher resolution movies to output to TV. Can't get much simpler than that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.