Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Soba

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2003
Rochester, NY
I'm a little surprised they dropped the 6,1—but only a little. Apple seems to want to run away from Intel support as quickly as possible.

Assuming they continue on an annual macOS release cadence, security updates will stop for the 6,1 in 2024—less than 5 years after the last 6,1 systems were sold and thus the 6,1 won't even be classified as a "vintage" system at that point. Interesting times.

Reactions: SkippyThorson

cloudphrenia

Cancelled
Nov 17, 2020
I want to be upset, but the 6,1 was the least reliable Mac I owned, and I'm glad its being laid to rest.

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
Well I haven't got it working with OpenCore. When I select the installer the computer just reboots and then goes into Recovery Mode. Maybe OpenCore needs to be updated to support the 6,1 and Ventura. I'm also not sure which settings to select in OpenCore. Under Settings I selected 'Allow native models' and under SMBIOS Settings I selected MacPro7,1 for SMBIOS Spoof Model and checked 'Allow Native Spoofs'. Should I try a different Spoof Model?

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
Well I haven't got it working with OpenCore. When I select the installer the computer just reboots and then goes into Recovery Mode. Maybe OpenCore needs to be updated to support the 6,1 and Ventura. I'm also not sure which settings to select in OpenCore. Under Settings I selected 'Allow native models' and under SMBIOS Settings I selected MacPro7,1 for SMBIOS Spoof Model and checked 'Allow Native Spoofs'. Should I try a different Spoof Model?
OpenCore does not support it yet.

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2018
I haven't got it working with OpenCore.
Often, when support is dropped, all you need to get it working is to add "-no_compat_check" to your boot-args.
So, try sudo nvram boot-args="-no_compat_check $(nvram boot-args 2>/dev/null | cut -f 2-)" in Terminal and see what gives on reboot into Ventura (without OpenCore).

EDIT: SIP needs to be disabled to set the boot-args. Can be restored afterwards.

Last edited:
Reactions: MisterAndrew

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
Often, when support is dropped, all you need to get it working is to add "-no_compat_check" to your boot-args.
So, try sudo nvram boot-args="-no_compat_check $(nvram boot-args 2>/dev/null | cut -f 2-)" in Terminal and see what gives on reboot into Ventura (without OpenCore).
Does SIP need to be disabled to do that? I tried it and it gave this error.

Error setting variable - 'boot-args': (iokit/common) not permitted.

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
I think Apple made abundantly clear that the future of the Mac is Apple Silicon. They totally ignored the Mac Pro during the keynote today (when they showed "all Macs" it was not there) and prematurely axed macOS support for Macs sold new less than 3 years ago. So I've decided the 6,1 will be my last Intel Mac. It really sucks for the people who spent big bucks on a 7,1. I bet macOS will totally drop Intel support in just a few years.

However, with Apple Silicon following a much faster development pace I think it would be a waste to spend big bucks on a 1st gen M1 Mac also. It would probably be smart to go for a low-end Studio until the high-end M2 chips arrive.

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
I think Apple made abundantly clear that the future of the Mac is Apple Silicon. They totally ignored the Mac Pro during the keynote today (when they showed "all Macs" it was not there) and prematurely axed macOS support for Macs sold new less than 3 years ago. So I've decided the 6,1 will be my last Intel Mac. It really sucks for the people who spent big bucks on a 7,1. I bet macOS will totally drop Intel support in just a few years.

However, with Apple Silicon following a much faster development pace I think it would be a waste to spend big bucks on a 1st gen M1 Mac also. It would probably be smart to go for a low-end Studio until the high-end M2 chips arrive.
Mac Pro will probably get its own show this time around, as it was said “..and that is for another day”.

Yes..those who spent “big bucks” on the Intel may be left at the door. Companies have the freedom to “change their minds” or direction if needed. It is what it is.

No surprise for Mac Pro 6,1. Apple would like to put it out in the pasture and call it a day. Nice effort..but time to move on.

prefuse07

Suspended
Jan 27, 2020
San Francisco, CA

Hope your workflow doesn't need anything that uses x86 arch, because ARM arch is not very well supported (yet), and Rosetta is a joke. Hoping that changes, but I know for sure that with legacy software it for sure wont.

Just something to think about before diving 100% into AS. Again, if your workflow won't be affected, then no issues, but for most of us, that sucks.

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
Hope your workflow doesn't need anything that uses x86 arch, because ARM arch is not very well supported (yet), and Rosetta is a joke. Hoping that changes, but I know for sure that with legacy software it for sure wont.

Just something to think about before diving 100% into AS. Again, if your workflow won't be affected, then no issues, but for most of us, that sucks.
Okay, that's a good point, but you can use a Windows PC for that, with better hardware at a lower cost. x86 just isn't part of the macOS picture in the near future.

Reactions: loby

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
Yeah, not everyone wants to have 2 separate machines, especially when current Mac Pros can run both OS', but enjoy!
You can complain to Apple, but I don't think it will change their direction. There are some really great Windows workstations that aren't terribly expensive, such as a Lenovo ThinkStation P620.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.