Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
Running 17.2 on original HomePod.

When I say "hey siri, set the speaker volume to 20% of max", the siri reponses are loud and clear, but music is inaudible even standing next to the device. To hear music like I used to be able to hear it at 20% of max, I have to set the volume to 50% of max at which point the siri commands sound like siri is yelling at me.

Rebooting doesn't seem to help.

Looks like it may be time to replace the device. But any idea what is going on before I do that? Also what should I do with this one? I will probably give it away and inform the new owner about the problem.

Last edited:

JBaby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2015
Siri responds to you in the volume you speak. So if you ask loud she’ll answer loud. Ask quietly and she’ll speak quietly and that has nothing to do with the volume she plays audio. At least that’s how she’s supposed to work. But we all know HomePods do their own thing.

Reactions: ghanwani

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
Siri responds to you in the volume you speak. So if you ask loud she’ll answer loud. Ask quietly and she’ll speak quietly and that has nothing to do with the volume she plays audio. At least that’s how she’s supposed to work. But we all know HomePods do their own thing.
I just tried this and talking loudly to Siri does increase the volume of the response but not appreciably. If I whisper the reply is still in normal voice. If I yell then it increases a little.

Still this doesn’t explain why at 20% of max volume the music audio is inaudible.

JBaby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2015
I just tried this and talking loudly to Siri does increase the volume of the response but not appreciably. If I whisper the reply is still in normal voice. If I yell then it increases a little.

Still this doesn’t explain why at 20% of max volume the music audio is inaudible.

Perhaps it’s dying. You could try , but at this point there’s little point since it’s a 1st Gen. Even if they replaced it would be $300+. I know this from experience. And I’m not even sure they do that anymore since the 2nd Gen exists.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.