Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Itinj24

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
This one HomePod just doesn’t want to download 16.6. Short of a factory reset, anyone have any ideas? It’s part of a stereo pair and also default audio to an AppleTV. So far, I tried restarting the HomePod, removing it from power for a minute or longer, rebooting the AppleTV, and restarting both HomePods in the stereo pair together as a pair. I even tried turning on auto updates after all my other HomePods updated. Been almost two days and no dice. The other one in the pair updated just fine. Driving me nuts.

B/D

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2016
This one HomePod just doesn’t want to download 16.6. Short of a factory reset, anyone have any ideas? It’s part of a stereo pair and also default audio to an AppleTV. So far, I tried restarting the HomePod, removing it from power for a minute or longer, rebooting the AppleTV, and restarting both HomePods in the stereo pair together as a pair. I even tried turning on auto updates after all my other HomePods updated. Been almost two days and no dice. The other one in the pair updated just fine. Driving me nuts.

Have you tried to unpair them from the Apple TV before trying to update it?.

My OG stereo pair, also with the Apple TV, upgraded without a hitch.

Reactions: Itinj24

Itinj24

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
The only thing I can think of might be make sure the device you are using is on the same network. I remember when one wouldn't update and it was because somehow, the phone was on 2 and the HomePod was on 5G or the other way around.
Thanks for the heads up. Just checked and they’re both on 5. This is the only HomePod out of 14 giving me a headache lol. It starts to download when I go into Home Settings>Software Update but then it just clears and never downloads.

Reactions: FriendlyMackle

Itinj24

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Have you tried to unpair them from the Apple TV before trying to update it?.

My OG stereo pair, also with the Apple TV, upgraded without a hitch.
Yeah I removed them as default audio and ungrouped them a couple hours ago. Then restarted just that one HomePod and it’s still not taking. I’m on the verge of a factory reset… It starts to download in Home Setting>Software Update but then just stops.

I have 14 total HomePods and eight of them are stereo paired and default audio to AppleTV’s. This is the only sucker causing me grief lol.

Itinj24

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Damn… no dice on the network reboot. Was worth shot though. Even restarted the HomePod after. Oh well, factory reset it is. If that doesn’t work, I’ve expended all troubleshooting avenues with this thing. Not like 16.6 is a feature rich update anyways.

Itinj24

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Had a similar problem: in Home app remove the homepod, do a factory reset of the HomePod, and then reinstall it back into Home app. That should allow you to update it.
Yeah had a feeling it would come to this but was trying to avoid. Got it integrated in some scenes and automations. Then the drag of waiting for the pair to configure. Oh well, what can you do… appreciate the reply.

Reactions: dustin_

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
Personally the stories of updates bricking OHPs have me scared enough that I simply do not update them.

Itinj24

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I bit the bullet and updated mine without issue, however I’m paranoid to use them for a while.
I don’t blame ya. Updating these things are a crap shoot. I remember one update, think it was iOS 13.xx that completely and permanently bricked the OGs.

Itinj24

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Personally the stories of updates bricking OHPs have me scared enough that I simply do not update them.
What’s the OS you’re currently running on them? I’m a sucker for new features so I keep proceeding with caution lol. The intercom, voice recognition and default audio for ATVs were good ones. Couldn’t turn those down.

I remember there was one member on here that one update completely bricked like 12 HomePod OG’s. Think it was iOS 13.x or something like that

• Wow

Itinj24

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
When i did mine it asked if I wanted to transfer my settings, I did and all my settings came back in Home app.
Good Luck.
Yes, I just started the process of re-connecting. I’m not sure if it will transfer automations and scenes and such but we’ll see.

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
What’s the OS you’re currently running on them? I’m a sucker for new features so I keep proceeding with caution lol. The intercom, voice recognition and default audio for ATVs were good ones. Couldn’t turn those down.

I remember there was one member on here that one update completely bricked like 12 HomePod OG’s. Think it was iOS 13.x or something like that
Thanks for asking. When I went looking for what OS the HP were running under it turns out that 16.6 is currently downloading.

Per the Apple support page: By default, HomePod and HomePod mini automatically install new software updates...
Edit: 16.6 installed and original HPs working fine.

Edit 2: Music started intermittently briefly muting for about an hour. Then music quit and was inaccessible. Four hours later I retried and all is now working normally. Never had issues before this 16.6 update; hopefully now self-resolved.

Edit 3: Music has been flawless for many hours now.

So although I thought I was holding off updates, apparently Apple has been routinely upgrading my HP anyway. I cannot complain because the HPs and even Siri controlling music have always worked well and sounded great in an impossibly difficult sound space.

Last edited:

Itinj24

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Thanks for asking. When I went looking for what OS the HP were running under it turns out that 16.6 is currently downloading.

Per the Apple support page: By default, HomePod and HomePod mini automatically install new software updates...

So although I thought I was holding off updates, apparently Apple has been routinely upgrading my HP anyway. I cannot complain because the HPs and even Siri controlling music have always worked well and sounded great in an impossibly difficult sound space.
If you go to Home Setting> Software Update, you can toggle off automatic updates. That’s what I do. It will still download the update but it won’t install it so you’ll still get nagging notifications to update. Can’t see how to turn those off.

Itinj24

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Factory resetting my HomePod resulted in the same behavior 🤦‍♂️. It starts to download for a couple seconds then stops and says all my HomePods are up to date. No clue what to do now. Lol. I know calling Apple Support will yield all the troubleshooting measures I already performed. Anyone know if they can force and OTA update?

jdevitajr

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2010
I have 5 HomePods. I have a similar issue. 3 minis and 1 OG no issues. 1 of my OG still says installing for 3 days already. Funny thing is that it functions perfect if I tell Siri to do anything so it's not a connection issue. I'm just leaving it and hoping for a patch soon.

Attachments

• IMG_3361.jpeg
    IMG_3361.jpeg
    104.8 KB · Views: 67
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.