Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JTK Awesome

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2022
Boston, MA, USA
From Consumer Reports via Apple News. These went on sale today. If they work as advertised, this sounds like a better solution than plugging up your ears (APP never sealed for me) and electronically piping in the outside world…

Most earbuds sit in your ear canal, with a seal made by either silicone or foam eartips. The Bose Ultra Open Earbuds, on the other hand, are essentially tiny speakers that sit near your ear canal. Their lofty goal is to deliver music or podcasts, without isolating you from the things happening around you. Think package deliveries, screeching tires, a phone call from your boss.

It’s not a new ambition; audio companies have tried to accomplish this with everything from open-back headphones to noise-canceling earbuds with a transparency mode that uses a tiny outward-facing microphone to electronically blend in outside sound.

The $299 Bose Ultra Open earbuds attempt to offer a more organic solution to smooth the transition between Headphone Land and the Real World. Think of them as "anti-earbuds."

UOEB24_Black_P_2000x2000px

Last edited:

seggy

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2016
Define better. Most earbud uses would be in situations that you wouldn't want to be in a situation where you're constantly trying to overpower ambient noise.

It would definitely be a better prospect than using the non-pro Airpods outside (especially given their slipperiness) but not better in comparison to the Pro. As for the Pro not sealing for you, well that's more of a you problem than a universal one.

For such a niche-case use I'd rather just get a pair of perfectly adequate Linkbuds for almost half the price and use that instead on the rare occasions I want an open wireless earphone.

Reactions: Sirious

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
For so long, I've gone with the notion that mobile sound (in the car or on foot) is just mobile sound and you can't recreate your home environment or a symphony hall.

These personal speakers sound like something every speaker or headphone company would want to achieve, rather than trying to plug someone's ears. If it had been another company, there would probably be praise now.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

scrane

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2021
My (possibly more relevant) question is are the Ultra Opens better than the AirPods 3?

raythompsontn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2023
I use my AirPods Pro in adaptive mode at basketball games. They cut down the noise substantially yet I can still hear people talk. I prefer the sealed ear canal.

Reactions: Jutah

beach bum

macrumors demi-goddess
Oct 6, 2011
Philly
From Consumer Reports via Apple News. These went on sale today. If they work as advertised, this sounds like a better solution than plugging up your ears (APP never sealed for me) and electronically piping in the outside world…

Most earbuds sit in your ear canal, with a seal made by either silicone or foam eartips. The Bose Ultra Open Earbuds, on the other hand, are essentially tiny speakers that sit near your ear canal. Their lofty goal is to deliver music or podcasts, without isolating you from the things happening around you. Think package deliveries, screeching tires, a phone call from your boss.

It’s not a new ambition; audio companies have tried to accomplish this with everything from open-back headphones to noise-canceling earbuds with a transparency mode that uses a tiny outward-facing microphone to electronically blend in outside sound.

The $299 Bose Ultra Open earbuds attempt to offer a more organic solution to smooth the transition between Headphone Land and the Real World. Think of them as "anti-earbuds."

UOEB24_Black_P_2000x2000px

I ordered and am in love and feel that the sound is on par with or just a little better than the AP3. These are definitely a keeper for me.

I cannot wear the AP 3rd gen and I seem to have developed an allergic reaction to the APP 2nd gen ear tips.

Reactions: scrane

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
These “open air” type earphones leak way too much sound.
I have a pair of sport open air buds. Even at moderate volume my wife can hear the leaked sound.Seems like a good idea but the reality is far from the hype.

beach bum

macrumors demi-goddess
Oct 6, 2011
Philly
Usually the better the seal the deeper the bass. I’d think that this open design will suffer in the bass category.
Surprisingly, the bass is pretty decent once you set up in the app. I am really enjoying the Bose Ultra Open Earbuds, and for me, money well spent.

dennisjr631

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2009
I loved them but ended up returning them. People said I sounded like I had a bag over my head during phone calls. Very disappointed.

Miltz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2013
I can’t comment on these but I just the Bose QC earbuds ultra 2 weeks ago. They have better ANC than the APP 2 and better sound quality. I was quite surprised. I’m selling my APP 2 now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.