Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Allotriophagy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 5, 2006
I was in the Apple store in the Bullring today and they finally had the new C2D range in.

The 24" model is ENORMOUS. Shockingly so.

The 17" model, which I used for two years, just looked tiny and miniature. It looked far smaller than I remember it being before I sold it, just two weeks ago.

Once I finally managed to get up close to and use a 24" iMac (hordes of greasy kids browsing through MySpace - bleh), it was even more ridiculous how large the screen is and how great the resolution is.

I am extremely excited about mine being delivered on Wednesday now. Just got to clear some extra room.

carfac

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
>>> I was in the Apple store in the Bullring today and they finally had the new C2D range in. The 24" model is ENORMOUS. Shockingly so.

I popped in for the same reason, and had the same thjoughts. I was on the fence about a 24, but after seeing it, I think it is too big for me!

>>> Once I finally managed to get up close to and use a 24" iMac (hordes of greasy kids browsing through MySpace - bleh),

I had the same problem- too many kids playing on MySpace for me to actually try it. Shame...

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
Ahh... i went to sheffield on friday, and they didnt have the 24" up, they had the space there, but I asked and the salesman said it'd be out tomorrow. I was like :(

so i played on a Mac Pro instead, and then broke it :eek:

Felldownthewell

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2006
Portland
Allotriophagy said:
(hordes of greasy kids browsing through MySpace - bleh)

Our school just got a bunch of 2.16 Core Duo (Yonah) 20 inchers with 1.5gb of RAM and they are huge; freshman year I worked on 15in emacs, then last year I comandeered the schools only G5 imac 17in as my video workspace. Now we have these 20 inchers and they feel absolutely massive. I can't wait to go check out the 24" model.

At my apple store they blocked not only myspace but a whole lot of proxies. This is because the store is near pioneer square, the main hang out point of the city, and there are large groups of scene and emo kids who fake homelessness all day long in downtown until they go home to suburbia. Obviosuly between smoking and starbucks runs, these people have to check their 'spaces, and they used the apple store. So no more myspace browsing scenesters for me. Yay!

(Although they haven't blocked ALL the proxies, lucky for me for when my MBP battery dies and I'm trying to make plans using myspace. :D )

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
BurtonCCC said:
There was no wait to use it, but it was INCREDIBLY SLOW. Must have been something wrong with the floor model. :(
Did you close down all the apps that tend to be left open for these floor models? I played with one briefly at Fry's the other night, and it felt snappy, though not significantly snappier than my 17" CD iMac and much less so than the Mac Pro right next to it.

B

yoak

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
I´m about to get one myself, but they don´t have it yet in my local store so I havent seen it unfortunatly.Think I´m going back tomorrow, maybe, just maybe...

weldon

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2004
Denver, CO
BurtonCCC said:
There was no wait to use it, but it was INCREDIBLY SLOW. Must have been something wrong with the floor model. :(
I noticed that when I looked at MacBooks. They were really, really slow when encoding iMovie test files. I talked to a salesman and he thought it was the Deep Freeze software that prevents changes to the hard drive. I know the new Intel macs are supposed to be faster, but it's disappointing to go into the store and not see that speed when doing some simple tests.

sigamy

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
NJ USA
Just made my second trip to the Bridgewater NJ store to see the new iMacs. I really can't decide if I need to upgrade from my 17" iMac G4 1Ghz. My current machine performs pretty well due to 1.25gb RAM but I'm getting tired of iDVD encodes taking 7 hours.

The 24" is huge. I really wish Apple made this closer to the cinema display in physical size (ie, no chin). It's hard to judge real world usage in the store because you are so close to the screen but I worry that it could cause eye strain. For example, the menus are so high up at the top of the screen when you have a non-full screen app. Also, it seems like you have to travel for ever to get to the menu.

But, iMovie was a joy to use on the large screen. I'm sure FCE/FCP would be also.

I used to go look at the iMacs and think that the 17" looked so small. My 17" G4 iMac screen seems much bigger to me, I guess again due to the chin. Now when they are all present even the 20" looks small! But, in usage the 20" is very nice.

Damn Apple for making this 24". I just feel that if I upgrade I should go all out. I worry that if I go for the 20", I'll regret not getting the 24". If I go for the 24", I worry that the screen will be too big for me and I'll have buyers remorse for spending so much...nice problems to have I guess.

sososowhat

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2003
Palo Alto, CA
The 24" is not just big, but breathtakingly Bright! I've got the 23" ACD at home, and I think the 24" iMac is brighter & nicely bigger -- with the same resolution, everything's slightly larger than on my 23, making it more enjoyable for me.

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
The title of this thread was just one big tease :)

Seriously, the 24" IS huge. My 20" is starting to look small. BUT, if I were buying today, I'd still prefer to get the 20" and spend the extra $$$ on a second 20" widescreen display, thus giving me more screen space for the same money.

Still, the 24" is very sweet.

Allotriophagy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 5, 2006
Edge100 said:
The title of this thread was just one big tease :)

You will perhaps be disappointed to learn that what it has in length, it lacks in girth. It is really incredibly thin - almost flexible, due to the length!

The pictures online of the sizes lined up do not prepare you for just how huge it is. Still cannot get over how tiny the 17" looks. At first I thought it was because was on the other end of the store but getting up close just made it seem even smaller.

iMac contravenes perspective, traditional set of iMac features! Movie at 11.

eyemacg5

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2006
Derbyshire, England
Willis said:
Ahh... i went to sheffield on friday, and they didnt have the 24" up, they had the space there, but I asked and the salesman said it'd be out tomorrow. I was like :(

so i played on a Mac Pro instead, and then broke it :eek:

Lol; the apple shop at meadowhall? when i was there, about a month ago i was on a g5 quad, the one linked up to the 30"er and the wacom graphics tablet(which is awesome) also locked up when i was trying to burn a imovie project.

Yeah its odd burning a dvd at a apple store but it was a imovie workshop :), i'm not mad.

-jake

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
Felldownthewell said:
At my apple store they blocked not only myspace but a whole lot of proxies. This is because the store is near pioneer square, the main hang out point of the city, and there are large groups of scene and emo kids who fake homelessness all day long in downtown until they go home to suburbia. Obviosuly between smoking and starbucks runs, these people have to check their 'spaces, and they used the apple store. So no more myspace browsing scenesters for me. Yay!

If they ban smoking in the square (like Saltzman wants), expect the place to be overrun by kids.

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
eyemacg5 said:
Lol; the apple shop at meadowhall? when i was there, about a month ago i was on a g5 quad, the one linked up to the 30"er and the wacom graphics tablet(which is awesome) also locked up when i was trying to burn a imovie project.

Yeah its odd burning a dvd at a apple store but it was a imovie workshop :), i'm not mad.

-jake

yeah, the tablet was at the side of the MacPro. thats where the 24" was going. But i played on the 30", tried to open the 2nd cd tray for kicks, forgot the shortcut, and accidentily restarted the machine (ctrl+com+ejc) and it failed to load up. I slowly turned around and played on the Macbooks & MBP instead :D

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
Allotriophagy said:
I was in the Apple store in the Bullring today and they finally had the new C2D range in.

The 24" model is ENORMOUS. Shockingly so.

The 17" model, which I used for two years, just looked tiny and miniature. It looked far smaller than I remember it being before I sold it, just two weeks ago.

Once I finally managed to get up close to and use a 24" iMac (hordes of greasy kids browsing through MySpace - bleh), it was even more ridiculous how large the screen is and how great the resolution is.

I am extremely excited about mine being delivered on Wednesday now. Just got to clear some extra room.

Good to know they have the 24" in Brum. I'm off up there on Friday to compare the 20" & the 24" to help make my mind up which one to go for.

Allotriophagy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 5, 2006
OllyW said:
Good to know they have the 24" in Brum. I'm off up there on Friday to compare the 20" & the 24" to help make my mind up which one to go for.

Well, remember to take some kind of cattle prod with you to get rid of all the guys with lip rings checking out their profiles and writing bad lyrics.

It is simply staggering just how long some people can spend standing around taking pictures of themselves with the iSight and uploading to some site or other.

MisterEd

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2006
I'm guessing they do, but does anyone know if the 24" is in London's Regent Street store yet? Just wanna make sure, as I'll be heading up there in a couple of days to check it out...

majorp

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2005
UK !!!
MisterEd said:
I'm guessing they do, but does anyone know if the 24" is in London's Regent Street store yet? Just wanna make sure, as I'll be heading up there in a couple of days to check it out...

yes they have them. i went there yesterday.

Abulia

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2004
Kushiel's Scion
Went to my local CompUSA to pick up some stuff for work and wandered back to the Apple section where they had a 24" set up.

:eek:

Wow. Just. Wow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.