Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mulletman13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2004
Los Angeles.
That's obscene....

And what is the point of having more FireWire ports (I assume its connected through FW800), when you can just add more HDDs to the tower?

... nevermind, if you want to hook up a video camera... i answered my own question.

Nevertheless, how much does a case like that cost? I have about 4 HDDs and I'd like to consolidate them to one case...

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
mulletman13 said:
Nevertheless, how much does a case like that cost? I have about 4 HDDs and I'd like to consolidate them to one case...

Here in NZ they're about $350, which I guess would be about $150 in the US.

MacProGuy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 16, 2006
Nermal said:
Here in NZ they're about $350, which I guess would be about $150 in the US.

Hehe... thanks ;)

I got it at Fry's for about $120... but that did NOT include a power supply...

The FWDaisychain adapter was $39, and the RAID FW Controller was $150...

The Powersupply $60... (cheap used MB $0... but if you don't have one... new would be $40...)...

All told almost $400 before Drives ... eeach... lol...

And who said the iMac was a dead end for upgrades... hehe

Oh, and through FW400, I'm getting almost 10,000K / second rip speed on my DVD Combo (sadly, the Writer is speed limited to 4K / second grrrrrrrrr).

:mad: :)

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
I got a score of 83.17 using Mac OSX built-in RAID running through SATA on 2 Seagate 7200rpm drives. eSATA kicks FW800. Hopefully the iMacs come equipped with eSATA ports in the next models.

MacProGuy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 16, 2006
spicyapple said:
I got a score of 83.17 using Mac OSX built-in RAID running through SATA on 2 Seagate 7200rpm drives. eSATA kicks FW800. Hopefully the iMacs come equipped with eSATA ports in the next models.

Agree completely. I'd have LOVED to have an eSATA port... but... FW800 still rocks for RAID 0 compaired to little ol' FW400 or USB2... lol

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
Just FYI, you don't need a mobo to make an ATX power supply work. You just need ~2" of wire (16AWG should do the trick) to jumper together two of the connectors.

I will leave which two connectors to connect as an excersize for the reader.

I'm planning on doing something like this, and had a couple questions, though. Are you just chaining the FW drives together and plugging them into the FW800 port? What's the device you are using to chain them with? Does that device also convert the SATA/PATA to FW? You mention a hardware RAID controller - have you compared that speed wise to an OSX software controlled RAID?

Looks pretty neat... I'd like to setup something similar so that I can just toss in a cheap drive when I want more HDD space (I'd build the array with small, less expensive disks - probably 120 or 160gbs) and a faster optical drive (even FW400 should have plenty of room for the fastest DVD-RWs out there without killing HDD access speeds).

BrutX

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2006
mrgreen4242 said:
Just FYI, you don't need a mobo to make an ATX power supply work. You just need ~2" of wire (16AWG should do the trick) to jumper together two of the connectors.

you can even use a paperclip. although that would be a lousy long-term solution. i just do that to test whether the PSU works.

MacProGuy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 16, 2006
bankshot said:
So, uhhh... how noisy is that thing?:p

Absolutely Dead Silent. :)

It's a special PC case with large fans that turn slowly, moving the same volume of air as small fans turning fast.

It may look "ricer" as someone point out... but it's all business ;)

It is, with the fans on the lowest setting (I also removed the PS fan), just as quiet as the iMac. :)

rowanhall

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
BrutX said:
you can even use a paperclip. although that would be a lousy long-term solution. i just do that to test whether the PSU works.

had wondered about the use of the mobo myself, you just need to join the green wire in the atx lead with a gnd wire (black) to turn on the psu! and use the psu mains switch at the back to turn the box on and off, or connect the green and black the cases power switch. you may need to change it to an (on/off) toggle switch.

nice job! i had concidered this option, as external drives seem so expensive for all they are! after seeing the specs, i realise that this is an excellent solution! cheers for the insight and pics! :)

i'd be glad to see any more advancements made at this project!

Rowan

MacProGuy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 16, 2006
rowanhall said:
had wondered about the use of the mobo myself, you just need to join the green wire in the atx lead with a gnd wire (black) to turn on the psu! and use the psu mains switch at the back to turn the box on and off, or connect the green and black the cases power switch. you may need to change it to an (on/off) toggle switch.

nice job! i had concidered this option, as external drives seem so expensive for all they are! after seeing the specs, i realise that this is an excellent solution! cheers for the insight and pics! :)

i'd be glad to see any more advancements made at this project!

Rowan

Thanks! I knew there was a way to do it without a motherboard... my initial solution was to get a power supply tester... which also worked great... but there were two weird side-effects...

The benchmarks were (A) Lower and (B) Not Consistent... WILDLY non-consistent... as if they weren't getting a solid stream of power... this behavior does NOT exhibit itself when attached to an actual motherboard... could it be that the power supply I'm using is bad or needs some sort of real *draw* for the rest of the power connectors to work reliably?

The second weird thing is that the power supply tester would get almost too hot to touch after about 10 minutes... so I was honestly afraid of a melting/exploding/fire in regards to the tester.

Which is why I hooked up the M/B.

I'll post more pics as I move into the new house... I'm planning on rigging a few more drives, etc.

:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.