Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

California

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 21, 2004
I happen to love old Tibooks. Really old ones. Non DVI ones, to be exact, cuz my eyes like the bigger type on the lower resolution screens.

So I have owned, like six Tibooks over the years. And this latest used example of Apple, year 2002, is a 550mhz Tibook with a gig of ram.

And the fans turn on ALL of the time.

The fans RARELY turned on on the 400, 500, 667 and 1 ghzs I had before.

Could this be an early example of slapped on thermal paste? Anyone know where the paste would be on these old PBs?

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2003
California
California - I have installed a new Toshiba 60 GB drive on our TiPB 400 with a full gig of ram and a whopping 8 MB of vram but did not look for the quality of the thermal compound application.

That said - I have been on this TiPB all day and just watched a number of Apple's HD QT clips. The fans hardly ever come on and the case is very cool everywhere save the center back bottom - only warm there. Whatever they did in building this Mac really works. Still not even any paint peeling off. A few scratches on it where our college son let a bookcase or something fall on it - it is a TANK - we love it!

California

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 21, 2004
Apple Corps said:
California - I have installed a new Toshiba 60 GB drive on our TiPB 400 with a full gig of ram and a whopping 8 MB of vram but did not look for the quality of the thermal compound application.

That said - I have been on this TiPB all day and just watched a number of Apple's HD QT clips. The fans hardly ever come on and the case is very cool everywhere save the center back bottom - only warm there. Whatever they did in building this Mac really works. Still not even any paint peeling off. A few scratches on it where our college son let a bookcase or something fall on it - it is a TANK - we love it!

Yes, they are TANKS. Love them. So, I'm guessing this 550mhz, which is the only Tibook I have ever owned where the fan turns on all the time, has a thermal paste problem...

faintember

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
the ruins of the Cherokee nation
California said:
Yes, they are TANKS. Love them. So, I'm guessing this 550mhz, which is the only Tibook I have ever owned where the fan turns on all the time, has a thermal paste problem...
As a TiPB owner (1GHz) and a MB owner it sounds like your TiPB has the correct amount of thermal paste. Why? Excess thermal paste leads to bad transmission of heat to the heat pipe/heat sink. If the temp monitor for the fans is on the heat pipe, and less heat is going to the heat pipe, then the temp at the temp monitor would be less, so the fans would come on less.

Well thats my logic anyways. My TiPB's fans run somewhat frequently, but in a normal day i run the CPU at 80% or higher anywhere from 1 to 4 hours. (Audio)

wyrmintheapple

macrumors regular
May 8, 2006
Southampton, UK
As no Mac has ever reportedly had thermal paste issues before the MacBook Pro, and certainly no TiBook, I would guess this is not the issue.

"Thermal Paste" Is a buzzword that you hear right now, but there's a reason its a new concept to most mac users..... Apple never botched it before.

Do any of the temperature sensor programs for the Mac work on your PB?? It'd be helpful to know whether your processor really is overheating, and the fans are coming on correctly, or whether the processor is cool, and the fans are coming on too often

California

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 21, 2004
wyrmintheapple said:
As no Mac has ever reportedly had thermal paste issues before the MacBook Pro, and certainly no TiBook, I would guess this is not the issue.

"Thermal Paste" Is a buzzword that you hear right now, but there's a reason its a new concept to most mac users..... Apple never botched it before.

Do any of the temperature sensor programs for the Mac work on your PB?? It'd be helpful to know whether your processor really is overheating, and the fans are coming on correctly, or whether the processor is cool, and the fans are coming on too often

It may be a heat sink problem, I will have it checked out. I downloaded a sensor program but it only checks my hard drive temp. Currently 38.0 C.

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2003
California
California - if your TiPB has been running well for this long I would not worry about the thermal transfer compound and how it was applied - it has and continues to do the job. Ours is actually cool right this minute - hard to believe. The fans are not running - maybe Apple made a mistake and put an air conditioner in this one:D

Max on Macs

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2006
Milton Keynes, UK
Maybe that's why it was for sale. There is problems with MB and MBP having too much thermal paste and now people on these forums are going crazy wondering if four year old machines have the same problem. Never bugged anyone before March, why is everyone freaking out now? Still, quite amusing to read.

cal6n

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2004
Gloucester, UK
Max on Macs said:
Maybe that's why it was for sale. There is problems with MB and MBP having too much thermal paste and now people on these forums are going crazy wondering if four year old machines have the same problem. Never bugged anyone before March, why is everyone freaking out now? Still, quite amusing to read.

Because the metal-cased portables have always had a question mark over them regarding heat. Some folks got hot ones, some got cool ones. Maybe now the mystery has been solved.

*edit* Just checked some sources and it appears that TiBooks used pads, so please disregard this post. Sorry!

Belly-laughs

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2003
you wish
Funny, I too have owned several TiBooks, most bought 2nd hand, and the only model I soon got rid of was the 550MHz – because of the fan noise. A shame, really, it was in mint condition.

On one 400MHz model I had one of the heat pipes got detached from another piece of metal in the hinge assembly, to which it was originally welded. Although I noticed no increased fan usage even after the damage, perhaps such a defect would have more of an effect on a higher clocked machine? I never checked my 550, I sold it on within days.

California

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 21, 2004
Belly-laughs said:
Funny, I too have owned several TiBooks, most bought 2nd hand, and the only model I soon got rid of was the 550MHz – because of the fan noise. A shame, really, it was in mint condition.

On one 400MHz model I had one of the heat pipes got detached from another piece of metal in the hinge assembly, to which it was originally welded. Although I noticed no increased fan usage even after the damage, perhaps such a defect would have more of an effect on a higher clocked machine? I never checked my 550, I sold it on within days.

Interesting on the 550 Ti.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
my 600MHz ibook has terrible thermal paste it's just the cpu consumes like 8w so it really makes no difference what so ever, take it apart and take a look.

Gokhan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2003
London
k

well just 2 let u folks know ı had a 1,25ghz pb g4 that ı took apart and the paste was spot on very thın so ı guess apple can do a good job when they want 2 shame bout the whıte spots but hey thats apple !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.