Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aevan

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
So I got a Taupe Finewoven case for my Natural Titanium iPhone 15 Pro. I knew of all potential issues, but I actually don't use my case that often, and I kind of assumed I'd like it despite what everyone is saying. So I got it, I had it for a short while - and I'm actually liking it a lot. It's thin and light and looks great, and the buttons are amazing. Slides nicely in and out of my pocket.

Will it protect my phone from flamethrowers and 10m drops on concrete? Probably not. But I don't need it to. I also don't plan on intentionally scratching my case. And if it does scratch - it's fine. As long as it's there to protect the actual phone, it's fine.

It feels really good in the hand, the surface is nice to the touch and - I don't know - all this negativity is giving it some charm, I think. I sprayed it with stain repellant spray for shoes (I saw a video where they recommended it for stain protection) and I'm enjoying it. If you don't like it - don't buy it, it's fine. But, if you're considering one - I'm not regretting my purchase.

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2008
I have the black one for my 15 Pro and so far, I am quite satisfied. For years, I had either the leather or the silicone for the larger PM. I like the Pro. No hand pain any more, but the larger phone was easier to read. There is always a trade off. Very satisfied with everything.

Reactions: shr631

aevan

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
So I’m done hating on this case because I’m not usually a hater, but there are so many things wrong about this case. The feel is nice, I’ll give you that. But for me that’s where the positives end.

What are the negatives?

Honestly, I’ve been carrying it across several airports and placing it on various surfaces for days now and it’s still pristine. And having tried other cases, nothing comes close to Apple’s buttons. Also, magnet on MagSafe seems stronger than other cases I’ve tried. Finally, the fit is great and the weight/thickness is better than most cases too.

I’m not sure why people are disliking this case, I’m not only prefering it to Apple Silicone cases (which I’ve used quite a bit before) but also to Apple’s leather cases (I had a saddle brown for years). This really feels and looks good. My guess is that people are just angry because of the price.

pin87a

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2011
I think it's a great case, lightweight, thin, good MagSafe.

It just .. feels weird, especially with dry skin/hands. Almost like sandpaper, it's off-putting. 🤷‍♂️

Lotuskid

macrumors regular
May 23, 2010
I think it's a great case, lightweight, thin, good MagSafe.

It just .. feels weird, especially with dry skin/hands. Almost like sandpaper, it's off-putting. 🤷‍♂️
that's how my wife feels, the little microtexture gives her a sensory irritation. doesn't bother me the same way but i get it

Infinitewisdom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
What are the negatives?

Honestly, I’ve been carrying it across several airports and placing it on various surfaces for days now and it’s still pristine. And having tried other cases, nothing comes close to Apple’s buttons. Also, magnet on MagSafe seems stronger than other cases I’ve tried. Finally, the fit is great and the weight/thickness is better than most cases too.

I’m not sure why people are disliking this case, I’m not only prefering it to Apple Silicone cases (which I’ve used quite a bit before) but also to Apple’s leather cases (I had a saddle brown for years). This really feels and looks good. My guess is that people are just angry because of the price.
For me, it’s because of how not durable it is. Mine got all scratched up within days. The fit also sucked. I could literally feel gaps when I squeezed the sides. It’s such a loose fit.

And then there’s just how slippery it is. It offers little grip.

Reactions: decypher44

iSuzan

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2020
Germany
I love the FineWoven cases. In the meanwhile I own one in Taube and one in Mulberry (I adore this color) for my iPhone 15 Pro.

I really love the look and the haptic. Sandpaper? Err... not at all form me. I like the soft back. And the sides feel great. Like a very fine but sturdy sail cloth.

At least on the 15 Pro it fits like a second skin. All the little scratches went always away after a short while.

So yes - at least until now - I love it.

DennisdeWit

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2016
The Netherlands
Call me crazy, but after owning a Pacific Blue case, I have decided to order a Black one. I just really like the feel of the FineWoven. The one I have now, fits really snug to my iPhone 15 Pro Max. I hope the Black one will do so, too!

I also have a Diamond Mag-case from Torras, but after feeling the FineWoven, I just can’t get used to the clear case materials. To be fair, I don’t get all the hate.

For me the grip is fine, it fits snug and owning a case since day one, I still have no problems with it.

Zapdoc

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2012
Call me crazy, but after owning a Pacific Blue case, I have decided to order a Black one. I just really like the feel of the FineWoven. The one I have now, fits really snug to my iPhone 15 Pro Max. I hope the Black one will do so, too!

I also have a Diamond Mag-case from Torras, but after feeling the FineWoven, I just can’t get used to the clear case materials. To be fair, I don’t get all the hate.

For me the grip is fine, it fits snug and owning a case since day one, I still have no problems with it.
My FW case is nice but the bottom (USB) edge of front of phone is sharp and catches my finger on swiping upwards
Not the case with Spine Ultra clear one nor using iPhone 15 P without a case - should say I have a Belkin Ultralight 2 screen protector fitted form new by Apple Store there is a sort f gap at this bottom edge with the FW case may be the cause - martyr another FW case in store before deciding

aevan

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Nope. Practically zero drop protection, loose fit, poor durability, minimal grip, and yes, overpriced. Maybe compare it to cases from Caudabe, Nomad, Pitaka, Mous, et al.

Loose fit? I barely put on mine how tight it is. Durability-wise, seems to be holding up really well (I’ve been placing my phone on all sorts of surfaces and in all kinds of bags during my trip). And what do you mean “minimal grip”? It’s the same as on my Mini’s leather case.

“Poor drop protection” just means it’s not thick, which is what I want. I rarely drop my phones.

All those other cases you mention are too thick and not that attractive to me, so to each their own. But there’s nothing wrong with this case, the more I use it, the more I like it. This might be my favorite iPhone case so far.

aevan

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
For me, it’s because of how not durable it is. Mine got all scratched up within days. The fit also sucked. I could literally feel gaps when I squeezed the sides. It’s such a loose fit.

And then there’s just how slippery it is. It offers little grip.

I find this weird, considering mine is really, really tight, also held up well. As for the grip, I find that even stranger, it offers a lot of friction. I guess my grip or skin is different (to be honest, I was always surprised by the grip complaints for naked iPhones so I maybe I just hold them tighter in my hand? No idea.)

Anyway, thanks for the reply.

Reactions: S7anley and Sean006

Zensō

Contributor
Oct 9, 2015
Loose fit? I barely put on mine how tight it is. Durability-wise, seems to be holding up really well (I’ve been placing my phone on all sorts of surfaces and in all kinds of bags during my trip). And what do you mean “minimal grip”? It’s the same as on my Mini’s leather case.

“Poor drop protection” just means it’s not thick, which is what I want. I rarely drop my phones.

All those other cases you mention are too thick and not that attractive to me, so to each their own. But there’s nothing wrong with this case, the more I use it, the more I like it. This might be my favorite iPhone case so far.
I’m glad you’re enjoying your case - you’re lucky enough to have received one that fits. Mine clearly didn’t, and neither did its replacement. They both creaked and had small air gaps in various places around the phone, and could easily (far too easily) be popped off with one finger, hence the lack of drop protection. Really, really poor quality control for a case at this price point. As for minimal grip, I’m not sure what you don’t understand about that comment? Maybe my hands are drier than yours, but the FW is clearly less grippy than Apple’s leather and silicone cases in my hand, which also seems to be the general consensus on this forum and elsewhere.

As for all the other cases I listed being thicker, what about Pitaka and Caudabe? Both have multiple offerings that are as thin as, if not thinner than, Apple’s cases.

I expect better from Apple.

Last edited:
Reactions: iOS Geek

DennisdeWit

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2016
The Netherlands
I have just got the black FineWoven and again, I have no problems. Oddly enough, all the buttons are completely fixed. On my blue one, the powerbuttons wiggled a little bit. The cutouts are also precisely on point. Maybe a new, better batch? :)

Reactions: canyonblue737

Ael_MR

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2018
Case is far too slippery. It slid out of a jacket pocket and fell on day 1. A corner has a slight mark from the impact but it's not disintegrating like others claim. If it holds up for a year, I'll consider it a good case.

wolfboy

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2010
Finally went to the Apple Store to check out these cases in person. They feel a lot different than they look online. In the pictures, I was expecting it to feel like dress socks or something. In reality, they feel like...maybe a satin cover over a cushion? It's hard to describe.

I think they're interesting cases, they will "patina" in their own way (aka get dirty and stained). Curious in a year whether these will age like clothes that have faded from going through the washer too many times or if they'll just look like clothes that you can't get stains out of.

Sean006

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2008
I always had Apple leather cases and loved them. Of course they had to go woke to satisfied these green people.

So I figured I would try the case and the wallet since I had the original Apple wallet and it was pretty beat up.

why is it that Apple cannot figure out what black is.
This case is blue, and so is the wallet

Anyways, case fits very tight, and the texture is not bad for those of you complaining that it scratches -the leather case did the same exact thing, if not worse.

i’m pretty impressed with the case and the way the wallet grabs the case.
It’s pretty hard to get the wallet off -it locks onto the case.

weekend of drinking coming up let’s see how it holds up 😂

Amishpriest

macrumors member
May 15, 2022
Montgomery Village, MD
I'm using the silicone case, but went with a FineWoven wallet as a way to check out that material. I've actually really liked the wallet so far. It's not showing any visible wear yet after a few weeks. It at least has me thinking about the FineWoven case at some point.

Reactions: babalougots

klky

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2015
I am someone who really likes Apple's cases, namely their leather cases, for their fit and finish, precise buttons and cut outs, feel in the hand etc. There are just some niceties that come with using first party products. I am actually quite sad that Apple has chosen to discontinue them.

While the Fine Woven cases have been receiving, to put it mildly, a lot of hate online, I am willing to give them a shot to see for myself. I saw a video that mentioned the bottom cutouts were misaligned and not properly centred. Not sure if this was just a bad copy or perhaps a wider quality control issue with some early batches.

Could those of you that have the Fine Woven case comment on this. Thank you very much.

aevan

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
My wife and I have been visiting Tokyo, and both my Finewoven case and wallet have been through a lot of pockets, bags, bar tables, etc. - and it’s been roughly two weeks since I got it. The result? It looks as new as the day I got it. Apple MagSafe battery, MagSafe itself and Wallet do leave marks on the case - not that I mind, but they do go away if you rub the case.

My only gripe (and it’s minor) is that the power button on the case is a bit flimsy. Other than that, this may be my favorite Apple case so far (even compared to the leather cases). It feels and looks great.

Just tells me that I shouldn’t trust all the hysteria that comes with every iPhone launch.

Reactions: BigDO and Cotypubby

aevan

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
I am someone who really likes Apple's cases, namely their leather cases, for their fit and finish, precise buttons and cut outs, feel in the hand etc. There are just some niceties that come with using first party products. I am actually quite sad that Apple has chosen to discontinue them.

While the Fine Woven cases have been receiving, to put it mildly, a lot of hate online, I am willing to give them a shot to see for myself. I saw a video that mentioned the bottom cutouts were misaligned and not properly centred. Not sure if this was just a bad copy or perhaps a wider quality control issue with some early batches.

All of my Apple cases, including silicone and leather ones were slightly misaligned at the bottom. Same for my Finewoven, you can tell if you look at the screws next to the port (couldn’t tell otherwise). It’s hard to notice and doesn’t affect plugging in any usb-c cables I’ve tried (Belkin, Aukey, IKEA, etc.)

klky

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2015
All of my Apple cases, including silicone and leather ones were slightly misaligned at the bottom. Same for my Finewoven, you can tell if you look at the screws next to the port (couldn’t tell otherwise). It’s hard to notice and doesn’t affect plugging in any usb-c cables I’ve tried (Belkin, Aukey, IKEA, etc.)
Thanks for the feedback.

Reactions: aevan
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.