Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Mr. Anderson said:
And who said the Cold War was over.....

Bleh - pretty silly/sad/funny

D
Somehow I get the feeling that this was going to happen anyway.

Good thing Apple had the foresight to come up with Safari before IE was discontinued.

Sushi

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Not a huge surprise - IE effectively died in '03, they just finally pulled the plug. Fortunately Safari and the Mozilla-based stuff are excellent.

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
sushi said:
Somehow I get the feeling that this was going to happen anyway.

Good thing Apple had the foresight to come up with Safari before IE was discontinued.

Sushi

but would MS have stopped IE if safari hadnt come about - i somewhat doubt it, but then again it was pretty much obvious that apple made their own browser.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
russed said:
but would MS have stopped IE if safari hadnt come about - i somewhat doubt it, but then again it was pretty much obvious that apple made their own browser.
The 64 dollar question! :D

Microsoft seemed to be updating IE for the PC but not for the Mac back then. IE for the Mac became more and more outdated.

Why was Microsoft doing this?

Don't know.

But it is obvious that Apple was concerned and thus came up with Safari to fill the gap.

Thankfully now, we also have FireFox to play with! :D

Sushi

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
russed said:
IIRC, IE for Mac had already sat dormant for QUITE some time before Safari was announced. I remember at the time I was tired of waiting for an update and had already switched over to Camino (I think it was still Chimera back then). Once Safari hit, it wasn't long before MS dropped IE for Mac. But, like I said, I don't think it had been updated in like a year or more before then.

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
All you need to do is get the Safari Debug menu. Once done, you can tell Safari to act as IE when visiting sites. The secret handshake is made with the host and you can log in.

Where's this 'act as IE' option?

I've only really used Firefox since I received my iMac, perhaps I should take a better look at Safari! :eek:

EDIT: Googled - I'll download Safari Enhancer and remove that IE rubbish.

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
kgarner said:
IIRC, IE for Mac had already sat dormant for QUITE some time before Safari was announced. I remember at the time I was tired of waiting for an update and had already switched over to Camino (I think it was still Chimera back then). Once Safari hit, it wasn't long before MS dropped IE for Mac. But, like I said, I don't think it had been updated in like a year or more before then.

but obviosuly MS and apple know a bit more inadvance than we do, so did MS slow down development of IE after they head about safari?

L

littlejim

I still test for IE on the Mac because it often gives me advance warning of problems that are going to occur on IE on the PC. The less I have to look at Windows the better!

And I'm still pretty impressed how well IE displays well written CSS. In fact, I tend to have less problems with Mac IE than I do with Windows IE 6!

But maybe that's just the sort of relatively simple markup/code I use.

Jon'sLightBulbs

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2005
Chicago
Safari still won't properly save changes to my wireless router settings, and won't load many different pages correctly that Mac IE '03 will. Isn't that sad?

Shaun.P

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2003
Omicron Persei 8
I work in Odeon (a popular UK cinema chain) and at home I regularly see what films are showing at my cinema at certain times (for my parents etc) by visiting their website.. Internet Explorer is the only browser I know of that will display the page correctly. I have tried Safari and Firefox and they both don't load the page correctly, but IE does.

The address is http://www.odeon.co.uk.

*You need to click 'Enter' to view the page that doesn't display correctly.

Weird.

L

littlejim

FearFactor47 said:
I work in Odeon (a popular UK cinema chain) and at home I regularly see what films are showing at my cinema at certain times (for my parents etc) by visiting their website.. Internet Explorer is the only browser I know of that will display the page correctly. I have tried Safari and Firefox and they both don't load the page correctly, but IE does.

The address is http://www.odeon.co.uk.

*You need to click 'Enter' to view the page that doesn't display correctly.

Weird.

I know that site well from a very bad experience trying to book LOTR tickets! It's truly awful ... and it's been awful way for a long time.

I end up using the phone. Find the non-0870 here : http://www.saynoto0870.co.uk/ and save yourself a few pennies!

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Jon'sLightBulbs said:
Safari still won't properly save changes to my wireless router settings, and won't load many different pages correctly that Mac IE '03 will. Isn't that sad?

Yes. It is sad that so many web pages are down to "MS" standards as opposed to "html" standards.

Lethal

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.