Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jfernandez

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2016
This is my answer.
If Imac haven't an update 27th then we almost see maybe an upgrade of RAM in existing models, or maybe a decrease of SSD option?...

I'm waiting for Imac update for 3 months, but I can't wait any more for my job, 27th I'll buy a 27"Imac i7 2TB m390. This will be a good option for video editing?

I have one eye seeing what's happening with Surface Desktop.... Apple, i like you, but guys your upgrading are very very slow....

Thanks!

varian55zx

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2012
San Francisco
If I had already decided on the i7 and 2tb fusion I would just go for the M395. Will help with future proofing and if you are editing video I'm sure you will find use for it down the road.

The price difference will likely be small.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
'm waiting for Imac update for 3 months, but I can't wait any more for my job, 27th I'll buy a 27"Imac i7 2TB m390. This will be a good option for video editing?
Go with the M395 version, I think its a nice boost and the cost difference isn't that large.

Reactions: AlexGraphicD

Jfernandez

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2016
Go with the M395 version, I think its a nice boost and the cost difference isn't that large.
Sorry, it was a mistake. I woold say, M395.
I think the M395X not provide me a considerable benefit for Premiere Pro, After Effects, and this kind of stuff. Not for 300 bucks...

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
The current iMac already is expandable to 64 GB thanks to Skylake. I would like to see a 2 TB SSD option. It would still be nice to be able to easily access the hard drive with a small door in the back. Taking out the screen to replace the drive isn't easy.

Jfernandez

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2016
The current iMac already is expandable to 64 GB thanks to Skylake. I would like to see a 2 TB SSD option. It would still be nice to be able to easily access the hard drive with a small door in the back. Taking out the screen to replace the drive isn't easy.

That would be a redising for the socket hard drive, isnt' probably...
Maybe Apple give the possibility of change 2Tb Fusion for 512 SSD ( now 256 for the same price), and please, 16Gb of RAM in all models...
2 days, for buy my new old Imac :p

Trebuin

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2008
Central Cali
Isn't even a Skylake bump a possibility?

Doubt it, the iMac is currently running too hot & that is why the graphics card would be a key upgrade. The CPU is only going to be optimized with kaby lake, but any spec bump will require more power which means more heat.
[doublepost=1477461144][/doublepost]If the iMac delays, it would make sense to wait for the vega video card releasing spring-summer of next year. This brings apple into that dreaded question of do I buy now or wait?

komiez

macrumors member
May 4, 2016
Doubt it, the iMac is currently running too hot & that is why the graphics card would be a key upgrade. The CPU is only going to be optimized with kaby lake, but any spec bump will require more power which means more heat.
[doublepost=1477461144][/doublepost]If the iMac delays, it would make sense to wait for the vega video card releasing spring-summer of next year. This brings apple into that dreaded question of do I buy now or wait?
Also that's why the kaby lake upgrade would be top along with the other possible upgrades.
More efficient kaby + GPU.

I am or was close buying the current one but will do some heavy Logic templates and orchestral tracks...will need the boost in GPU and processor, most highly the i7770K (4.5GHz) as the rumors say... *fingers crossed*

Sirmausalot

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2007
I have absolutely zero issues with heat in my 2015 iMac and I haven't read any reports of problems either. A CPU bump wouldn't generate any more heat. It was the 295 GPU that was causing troubles back in the 2014 model

Trebuin

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2008
Central Cali
Also that's why the kaby lake upgrade would be top along with the other possible upgrades.
More efficient kaby + GPU.

I am or was close buying the current one but will do some heavy Logic templates and orchestral tracks...will need the boost in GPU and processor, most highly the i7770K (4.5GHz) as the rumors say... *fingers crossed*

The i7770k is going to run really hot. The only way the CPU will be cooler is to downclock it. It may perform better, but it needs to be downclocked

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
I have absolutely zero issues with heat in my 2015 iMac and I haven't read any reports of problems either. A CPU bump wouldn't generate any more heat. It was the 295 GPU that was causing troubles back in the 2014 model

If you are talking about 21" iMacs, perhaps you could see a Skylake refresh. The 27" is already running on some of the better Skylake chips though (including the 6700 if you BTO). But if they were willing to refresh that, they could also refresh the GPUs in the 27" at the same time. I am just hoping today's event clarifies what the heck their plans are.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
My 2015 5K runs a fair bit cooler than my 2014 5K (both i7s, 32GB, SSDs, 295x/395x). I always heard the fans on the 2014 one and I never hear them on the 2015 when doing the same type of work like playing a game or doing a Handbrake encode.

Reactions: larzy

Trebuin

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2008
Central Cali
My 2015 5K runs a fair bit cooler than my 2014 5K (both i7s, 32GB, SSDs, 295x/395x). I always heard the fans on the 2014 one and I never hear them on the 2015 when doing the same type of work like playing a game or doing a Handbrake encode.

There may be a clear reason why that happened:
2014 had 22nm CPU chips.
2015 has 14nm CPU chips.

To try to stop the misunderstandings I keep seeing, we'll compare the 2014 and 2015 top end CPU:
2014 i7-4790K 4.0GHz/4.4TB 88W TDP; 22nm http://ark.intel.com/products/80807/Intel-Core-i7-4790K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_40-GHz
2015 i7-6700K 4.0GHz/4.2TB 91W TDP; 14nm http://ark.intel.com/products/88195/Intel-Core-i7-6700K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_20-GHz

Jumping in on my own observation, the die shrink should be cooler because it uses less power, but as we see above, the chip is using 3 Watts more. This is where the confusion comes in, the TDP is the designed max power...it does not mean the chip will use it. You can see a comparison of those two and the temp drop here: https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/a...ake-S-i7-4790K-vs-i7-6700K-641/#ThermalOutput

If you want to see a more obvious impact of a die shrink/temp/power, look into the Finfet die shrink impact. Apple already is claiming double performance on their newly released MBPs due to this upgrade. Finfet has much more of an impact that we see with intel's 14nm die shrink.

Kaby Lake should give us about 5-10% increase in performance with equivalent clocks with their optimizing. Think of a bunch of geeks tweaking their computers to max the performance...that's what intel is doing with Kaby Lake.

I thought Apple would have pushed out a new iMac based on the GPUs only with the lack of desktop rated Kaby Lakes, but I was wrong on that. The best option IMHO would be to wait for Vega and Kaby Lake. Vega (GPU) will have a much larger impact vs Polaris. If Apple had released the iMac with Polaris, they would have released a equivalent mid-grade GPU...possibly slower than the 395x. The 395x die shrink falls under the Vega timeframe and should push 70-100% improvement, depending how they want to clock it. Vega comes out this upcoming spring, along with Kaby Lake...a very modest upgraded CPU. Vega could finally be produced summer-fall of 2017, which means Apple is falling into the game of should I upgrade now, or wait for something better in the future.

Reactions: komiez

VanNess

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2005
California
This is my answer.

This is mine: They are working on a new iMac wireless keyboard that will incorporate the touch bar from the new MacBooks. Just seems like the touch bar is too big a deal for Apple to limit it to only the portable line up. Otherwise it doesn't seem like there is much going on hardware-wise that would amount to anything more than a minor speed bump from the current generation.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
This is my answer.
If Imac haven't an update 27th then we almost see maybe an upgrade of RAM in existing models, or maybe a decrease of SSD option?...

I'm waiting for Imac update for 3 months, but I can't wait any more for my job, 27th I'll buy a 27"Imac i7 2TB m390. This will be a good option for video editing?

I have one eye seeing what's happening with Surface Desktop.... Apple, i like you, but guys your upgrading are very very slow....

Thanks!

Buying a refurb iMac from the Apple Store is a good. I just purchased a refurb 27" iMac and saved about $500 off what it would have cost new. Snagged a 1TB SSD with 16GB RAM unit and m395 GPU.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
I like what Microsoft did with their "iMac". Keep the monitor thin, your memory, HD, CPU, motherboard can be at the base under the monitor. This was the design concept for the iMac G4 lamp design that Steve Jobs was happy about.

Reactions: Moonjumper

PASF

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2016
Is it possible at all to buy an iMac now, and upgrade the video card next year with the vega? TY, Philip

PASF

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2016
Nope, the dGPU is soldered onto the logic board
THANK YOU , maflynn!!
Asked another question elsewhere, but would value your input and advice. Need to get a new iMac , mine is 8 years old and fading and I think got a virus. Any quick tip on how to address poss virus om an iMac? I thought it was really hard to get a virus on an iMac. It was not due to a download. Just online debating someone and another person said I better get offline ASAP, and sure enough an hour later iMac messed up.
Also, on new one, 10/27 suppose to make announcements on iMac as well as everything else >> NOTHING. Just saw someone here say something now coming end of Jan. Confused. I know that this month upgrades have been made on the iMac , new i7 , new AMD graphic card choices etc. Since Cook said nothing about the upgrades on the iMac, does this mean anything. That the current ones are just for Christmas and not enough time to do the real improvement that are being worked on but hit some delays and will be available end of Jan,. 2017?? TY, Philip

Poncho

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2007
Holland
THANK YOU , maflynn!!
Asked another question elsewhere, but would value your input and advice. Need to get a new iMac , mine is 8 years old and fading and I think got a virus. Any quick tip on how to address poss virus om an iMac? I thought it was really hard to get a virus on an iMac. It was not due to a download. Just online debating someone and another person said I better get offline ASAP, and sure enough an hour later iMac messed up.
Also, on new one, 10/27 suppose to make announcements on iMac as well as everything else >> NOTHING. Just saw someone here say something now coming end of Jan. Confused. I know that this month upgrades have been made on the iMac , new i7 , new AMD graphic card choices etc. Since Cook said nothing about the upgrades on the iMac, does this mean anything. That the current ones are just for Christmas and not enough time to do the real improvement that are being worked on but hit some delays and will be available end of Jan,. 2017?? TY, Philip
I would be surprised if you had a virus.

it might be adware.

Download malwarebyres and run it:

https://www.malwarebytes.com/antimalware/mac/

Reactions: komiez

Trebuin

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2008
Central Cali
THANK YOU , maflynn!!

I have a 2007 iMac, upgraded to max 6GB of ram & a SSD & it is slow with the current OS X. There is a lot of demand, expecialky on a core 2 Duo. I would wait as missing such a generational jump can be a bummer.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
I have a 2007 iMac, upgraded to max 6GB of ram & a SSD & it is slow with the current OS X. There is a lot of demand, expecialky on a core 2 Duo. I would wait as missing such a generational jump can be a bummer.

How are you even able to get Sierra? Isn't your iMac out of date?

Reactions: AlexGraphicD
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.