Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

weeag

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 27, 2005
So, with the new intel iMacs being 2-3x faster, how will they compare to the current PowerMacs? I'm going to buy in the next couple of days (as I can't wait for new PowerMacs) and really need some help.

This will be my first mac and I was waiting until the Expo to make a decision - I thought is was going to be the 2Ghz PowerMac... but now what?

:confused:

wee!

bodeh6

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2005
Just wait a week or so and Barefeets.com will surely have benchmarks up comparing the PowerMac to the old and new iMac.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
A quad G5 will still flatten these computers at the moment, but if you're that worried about performance, you can wait and see.

weeag

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 27, 2005
OutThere said:
A quad G5 will still flatten these computers at the moment, but if you're that worried about performance, you can wait and see.

Well, I already put off buying for three weeks for the expo, the computer is for business and it'll be 3rd quarter (from what I hear) before new PM's are released... I've got to have it soon.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Well the iMac will probably be faster then the PowerMac at the same clock speed now because the Intel should be an overall faster processor, much better L2 cache speed, a better FSB (I am assuming this since I have not seen the specs.), etc.

I am guessing the new Intel Macs should be able to run almost with the Quads now.

bodeh6

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2005
Abercrombieboy said:
Well the iMac will probably be faster then the PowerMac at the same clock speed now because the Intel should be an overall faster processor, much better L2 cache speed, a better FSB (I am assuming this since I have not seen the specs.), etc.

I am guessing the new Intel Macs should be able to run almost with the Quads now.

Actually the PowerMacs still have a faster FSB with 1GHz being the lowest compared to the new iMacs 667MHz.

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
My lovely SN25P just killed my RAID 2 days before these new mac's were introduced. It must be a sign! Everything i want to get is in them, monitor spanning with DVI, Digital Out, a powerful graphics card, quiet and last but not least OSX and hopefully windows capability (blasphemy i know...). The best thing is that can be said for both the iMac and the Macbook. Now i just don't know what to get. The Macbook to take over as my laptop and workstation, or keep the iBook and get the powermac.

Decisions decisions, but at least now i won't feel like i'm buying something woefully underpowered. The decision of whether to get a powerful PC or an underpowered Apple has all but gone away.

Now to sell off my computer, I'll have some time before these mac's are readily available so i should be able to get rid of everything with time to spare.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
TBi said:
My lovely SN25P just killed my RAID 2 days before these new mac's were introduced. It must be a sign! Everything i want to get is in them, monitor spanning with DVI, Digital Out, a powerful graphics card, quiet and last but not least OSX and hopefully windows capability (blasphemy i know...). The best thing is that can be said for both the iMac and the Macbook. Now i just don't know what to get. The Macbook to take over as my laptop and workstation, or keep the iBook and get the powermac.

Same problem. I love the laptop for portability but don't really honestly need it.. But I still like sitting on the sofa or laying in bed with it...

The iMac represents much better value for money though.. .See my sig

What to get?? (I hope it'll dual boot as well and one of the first thing's I'm gonna try. Didn't Steve say on record that he wouldn't stop people from booting windows on the machines, when he was talking about htte protection the've built into it for osX booting on regular pc's..)

daviddamonkey

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2006
I was planning on getting a 2GHz PowerMac for use with Final Cut and Pro Tools (plan to use for fairly intensive audio and video work). Is the general consensus now that I should wait a few weeks to see some benchmarks between the PowerMac and the new iMacs, or will the PowerMacs still probably be better for what Im wanting to do?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.