Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kittur

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2020
So at the age of nearly 40 I'm going to start creating content and live casting and want a suitable IPad. I'll be using the iPad on Zoom and to edit video. I'd also like to create a bit of music.

Do I:

a). Go for the full whistles and bells IPad Pro 2020, 256go wifi Cellular (and pay off over a looong time)

b). Save a bit of money and get an Apple Reconditioned 2018 256, Wifi Cellular

c) Ipad Air 4

Please help! I'll sign myself up for the repayments if it's worth it, but economy is important. If I become a star I can buy a top of the range, new IPad Pro in a couple of years, right?

Reactions: BillyiPad95

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
I say choice b, I don't like the idea of long term payments especially during this time. The 2018 pro is a great choice too.

Reactions: BillyiPad95

KittyKatta

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2011
SoCal
So at the age of nearly 40 I'm going to start creating content and live casting and want a suitable IPad. I'll be using the iPad on Zoom and to edit video. I'd also like to create a bit of music.
Why an iPad? Not trying to discourage you, starting a channel seems fun. But Zoom doesnt handle multitasking well and most YouTubers show off how you can edit on iPad with one video but then go right back to doing all their editing on a Mac. It definitely can be done but it feels like youre starting yourself at a disadvantage so I'm curious what the iPad-centric reasoning is and if it may be worth it to wait and see what the ARM based MacBooks offer.

Anyway, you should check out the content HennyThaBizness makes on YouTube. He runs almost exclusively on iPad for editing video and creating music. and its incredibly impressive to see how far he can push the iPad.

macdogpro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2020
I’m as old as you and started my YouTube channel 2 months ago after getting my self iPad Pro 2020 11 inch.
I chose the iPad because hardware wise it is better than most Intel based Macbook Pros and I can’t wait for ARM based Macbook Pros to be released.

If you already having a goal in the upcoming years and see yourself to buy top of the line product, I’d say save your money now and buy the one that doesn’t hurt you financially.
The iPad Pro 2018 256gb is still a beast even for video editing. The Air 4 is on par on raw performance (if not better) than the 2020 Pro.

As a full time iPad user that doing 80% I do on my old Macbook Pro (including MS Office tasks, illustrating, photo editing, video editing), what I encourage you to consider is the 12,9 inch iPad Pro.
The 11 inch screen can be a bit cramped when video editing or multi tasking with split view.

Also bare in mind doing Zoom or live casting can make you look weird on the iPad due to the front camera placement on the side of the screen, making you not looking straight to the viewers.

Don’t worry about the 6gb RAM on the 2020 Pro, compared to 4gb RAM on the 2018 Pro or Air 4.
There’s not a single app or usage case that can utilize the full capacity of RAM above 2gb-ish as far as I’m experiencing.
Be it video editing on Lumafusion, illustrating on Procreate, nor heavy gaming on Call of Duty Mobile / Genshin Impact.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa

Do I:

a). Go for the full whistles and bells IPad Pro 2020, 256go wifi Cellular (and pay off over a looong time)

c) Ipad Air 4

Please help! I'll sign myself up for the repayments if it's worth it, but economy is important. If I become a star I can buy a top of the range, new IPad Pro in a couple of years, right?
I would get the iPad Pro with Magic Keyboard and Apple Pencil, will make things easier for editing and the 120hz Display will be a pleasure to use. I would opt for 2020 iPad Pro due to its 6GB RAM which will be handy over the next few years as Apple adds more to iOS and it will also be great for heavy editing.

I just tried turning my 2020 iPad Pro down to 60hz screen and it was horrible lol, the 120hz is far better if you are dealing with content and want everything to be smooth and fast as you work.

macdogpro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2020
I would get the iPad Pro with Magic Keyboard and Apple Pencil, will make things easier for editing and the 120hz Display will be a pleasure to use. I would opt for 2020 iPad Pro due to its 6GB RAM which will be handy over the next few years as Apple adds more to iOS and it will also be great for heavy editing.

I just tried turning my 2020 iPad Pro down to 60hz screen and it was horrible lol, the 120hz is far better if you are dealing with content and want everything to be smooth and fast as you work.

How do you make the Pro screen down to 60hz?
I’m one of those who barely feels the difference, but my gf said she instantly notice the screen is much responsive, even just to swipe with finger (she use iPad 7). We both do drawing with the Pencil.
sure it’s night and day difference compared to my old iPad 3, but that thing is a relic of old tech, lol.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
How do you make the Pro screen down to 60hz?
I’m one of those who barely feels the difference, but my gf said she instantly notice the screen is much responsive, even just to swipe with finger (she use iPad 7). We both do drawing with the Pencil.
sure it’s night and day difference compared to my old iPad 3, but that thing is a relic of old tech, lol.

Yeah,it’s incredible to use a 120hz screen with the pencil more so if you are editing content/media or drawing, it feels more real time or natural at 120hz.

To limit to 60Hz on iPad Pro you go to:
Settings - Accessibility - Motion - Limit Frame Rate

I do not recommend using an iPad Pro in this state it’s horrible lol, felt like I went back to my iPad Air LOL! One really appreciates the 120hz after coming back from that setting.

Infinitewisdom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
If a company is willing to give you a zero interest loan for two years and your income is stable, why would you not take it?

Reactions: kittur

macdogpro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2020
Yeah,it’s incredible to use a 120hz screen with the pencil more so if you are editing content/media or drawing, it feels more real time or natural at 120hz.

To limit to 60Hz on iPad Pro you go to:
Settings - Accessibility - Motion - Limit Frame Rate

I do not recommend using an iPad Pro in this state it’s horrible lol, felt like I went back to my iPad Air LOL! One really appreciates the 120hz after coming back from that setting.

Ah yeah, how did I forgot about this haha.

I did once tried to limit the screen‘s frame rate and couldn’t tell the difference.
Just did it again now, and still couldn’t tell the difference.
Keeping it on 120hz tho.

onfire23

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2020

I tried turning it down on my ipp 2020 and it feels noticeable. My tab s6 feels noticeably smoother at 60hz. Maybe the amoled has better response times

muzzy996

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018

Do I:

c) Ipad Air 4

The iPad is just one potential part of your workflow. What other devices and software will complete your workflow and what resources do you already have? Camera, audio recording, computer, video editing software, storage devices?

Your post demonstrates a potential for cost considerations so rather than having users blindly advocating for one iPad model or another perhaps working out your entire workflow before hand can help to reduce unanticipated costs. Otherwise you’re going to get what you’re already seeing which is a series of users advocating for what THEY would want as opposed to what you might need.

Reactions: kittur and secretk

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
If you can find a deal on a 2018 Pro more power to you, they're still excellent tablets. I would go with one over the Air if you like the sound of OLED + 120Hz screen, and if you have any interest in the 12.9" I would spring for it.

Air 4 is not a bad tablet, but if you are willing to look for deals I think a 2018 Pro may serve you just as well if not better. Don't take this as gospel, but I am assuming the OS lifespan for these models will be similar, maybe one version off. Time will tell, hard to predict.

Reactions: kittur and Tsepz
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.