Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Google "how to edit host file". You'll get plenty of links. Once you know how to,edit it, remove any references to ga.apple,com.

If your host file contains no reference to gs.apple.com, then the only thing I can think of is you have the wrong ipsw file. Double and triple check to make sure you have the right one.

Arnezie

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
Google "how to edit host file". You'll get plenty of links. Once you know how to,edit it, remove any references to ga.apple,com.

If your host file contains no reference to gs.apple.com, then the only thing I can think of is you have the wrong ipsw file. Double and triple check to make sure you have the right one.

I did see one post where you put (/Applications/TextEdit.app/Contents/MacOS/TextEdit /etc/hosts) in terminal on my Mac and I can see the line that says gs.apple.com but it won't let me delete it.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I did see one post where you put (/Applications/TextEdit.app/Contents/MacOS/TextEdit /etc/hosts) in terminal on my Mac and I can see the line that says gs.apple.com but it won't let me delete it.

Sorry, I don"t know how to do this on a Mac -- this is one thiing where Windows is easier, it lets you edit the host file using Notepad. Look harder, the instructions on how to edit it is out there. Maybe try iclarified.com, their tutorials are usually very good.

----------

I have an iphone 5, and try to restore to ios 6.1.4.I've described my problem here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1613916/

If you could help I'll appreciate

Sorry, but I don't have any other advice to offer than what you got in your own thread. If you are doing everything correctly and you can't get out of error -1, you have a hardware failure.

marccoaraujo

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2013
Sorry, but I don't have any other advice to offer than what you got in your own thread. If you are doing everything correctly and you can't get out of error -1, you have a hardware failure.

It could be a hardware failure, because it starts when my device just keep searching for network, but never find.

If I have to guess the restoring is doing some kind of hardware check, and after found an error, it stops.

I'll take it to an apple store :(

Tks for your time.

Regards.

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
It could be a hardware failure, because it starts when my device just keep searching for network, but never find.

If I have to guess the restoring is doing some kind of hardware check, and after found an error, it stops.

I'll take it to an apple store :(

Tks for your time.

Regards.

If you bring it in to the apple store when it's on iOS 7, they will refuse service to you. Unless they cannot boot up the device and see that it's on iOS 7

apollo1444

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2011
mexico
if you want to downgrade apple is signign 6.0.2 now! for a5+ people

----------

Im not trying to update to a previous firmware!!!! im trying to update to 6.1.4. and yes loose the jailbreak ! Please don't respond to my post anymore thanks

you can't simply update to 6.1.4 you have to restore first. (because you are jailbroken)

that's why it's failing

Arnezie

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
if you want to downgrade apple is signign 6.0.2 now! for a5+ people

----------

you can't simply update to 6.1.4 you have to restore first. (because you are jailbroken)

that's why it's failing
No it was the host files that needed deleted and now it worked was able to update. Big thanks to nightspring

marccoaraujo

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2013
If you bring it in to the apple store when it's on iOS 7, they will refuse service to you. Unless they cannot boot up the device and see that it's on iOS 7

I know this, but I did another restore directly from itunes and get it back to iOS 6.1.4. It still at the -1 error, but now it's the itunes logo from iOS 6.1.4 that shows up, and not the itunes logo from iOS7.

And more, it doesn't boot up, just keep in a loop at the restore mode. Unless they can track all restores I have made, I think I'm good.

marccoaraujo

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2013
I know this, but I did another restore directly from itunes and get it back to iOS 6.1.4. It still at the -1 error, but now it's the itunes logo from iOS 6.1.4 that shows up, and not the itunes logo from iOS7.

And more, it doesn't boot up, just keep in a loop at the restore mode. Unless they can track all restores I have made, I think I'm good.

I took it there, and it really was a hardware problem.

So they gave me a new one.

Problem ended.

Thank you everyone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.