Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

4GLTE lover

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2013
Hi all, I was finally able to JailBreak my IPhone 4S since the Wi-Fi option become greyed out due to IOS 6.1.3, so I had to mail it in for a replacement which came with IOS 6.1.2, so of course I immediately JailBroke it using Evasi0n. Since then I have installed TetherMe. Which satisfied my need of tethering. I have also customized it to my liking, but for the final touch I would like to install Jelly Lock. But since it is in Beta form I am kind of scared to. I have read that if you mess up your iPhone and can't fix it in safe mode you will need to restore it using iTunes. But if I restore it will have IOS 6.1.3 therefore I can't Re-JailBreak it. So my question here is: Will it be okay to install a Beta Cydia App?? (Jelly Lock Beta).

Last edited:

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
Hi all, I was finally able to JailBreak my IPhone 4S since the Wi-Fi option become greyed out due to IOS 6.1.3, so I had to mail it in for a replacement which came with IOS 6.1.2, so of course I immediately JailBroke it using Evasi0n. Since then I have installed TetherMe. Which satisfied my need of tethering. I have also customized it to my liking, but for the final touch I would like to install Jelly Lock. But since it is in Beta form I am kind of scared to. I have read that if you mess up your iPhone and can't fix it in safe mode you will need to restore it using iTunes. But if I restore it will have IOS 6.1.3 therefore I can't Re-JailBreak it. So my question here is: Will it be okay to install a Beta Cydia App?? (Jelly Lock Beta).

Yes it's safe. It's pretty rare for a device to not boot into safe mode. A popular tweak, even one on beta, is very unlikely to force a restore. That situation is usually related to noobs who mess with system files and deleting folders/files carelessly. It's also been reported that installing cracked apps/tweaks can cause major instability. I can't say for sure about that though because I've never installed any cracked software.

Bottom line, installing betas of very popular tweaks is typically safe. Usually the worst thing to happen is safe mode which is due to a similar tweak offering similar functionality or straight up conflicting due to incompatibilities.

But you have the right approach. Always proceed with caution and read, read, and read some more! Learn from other people's mistakes lol

Have fun!

4GLTE lover

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2013
Yes it's safe. It's pretty rare for a device to not boot into safe mode. A popular tweak, even one on beta, is very unlikely to force a restore. That situation is usually related to noobs who mess with system files and deleting folders/files carelessly. It's also been reported that installing cracked apps/tweaks can cause major instability. I can't say for sure about that though because I've never installed any cracked software.

Bottom line, installing betas of very popular tweaks is typically safe. Usually the worst thing to happen is safe mode which is due to a similar tweak offering similar functionality or straight up conflicting due to incompatibilities.

But you have the right approach. Always proceed with caution and read, read, and read some more! Learn from other people's mistakes lol

Have fun!

Thanks this was very helpful as I am new to JailBreaking and I am in LOVE with it, so I do not won't to mess anything up. I did change my root password so I have learned a little. But it is like a Whole new world now.

----------

I installed and all went well!!!!

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
Thanks this was very helpful as I am new to JailBreaking and I am in LOVE with it, so I do not won't to mess anything up. I did change my root password so I have learned a little. But it is like a Whole new world now.

----------

I installed and all went well!!!!

Haha you're very welcome. We were all in the same situation as you at one point. Honestly the best thing you can do for yourself is read anything and everything before you actually do anything to your device. YouTub can be a good source too although there is definitely a lot of bull and it can be difficult to wade through the nonsense. You'll get better over time as you learn more and more. Ask questions too if you can't find your answer on google or from searching the forums here.

When in doubt, ask here at MR. This is a great place to get clarification when google is sending mixed signals.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.