Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 8, 2010
I have some older AirPods that I bought in March 2017. For the past six or so months they frequently disconnect, and it is just getting worse and worse. The right one only stays connected for about two or three minutes now and the left one only stays connected for about twenty minutes. They have received a lot of use over four years now. Most of the time I just use one at a time.

I originally thought they may need a battery swap but when I reconnect them to my phone each time it shows they still have a charge.

Has this happened to anyone and if so did you buy the replacements from Apple? Also, I am wondering if this set of AirPods are just worn out and their lifetime is over?

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 8, 2010
I have deleted and re-paired several times. It doesn’t seem to make a difference.

I am noticing the price of replacement AirPods are $70 each, so $140 total. At that price I think I may just wait for the new model and buy those.

cashinstinct

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2011
I have deleted and re-paired several times. It doesn’t seem to make a difference.

I am noticing the price of replacement AirPods are $70 each, so $140 total. At that price I think I may just wait for the new model and buy those.
Yeah don’t pay $140 for old airpods

airpods 3 are supposed to be announced October 18, 2021

alien3dx

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2017
Yeah don’t pay $140 for old airpods

airpods 3 are supposed to be announced October 18, 2021
hehe.. mine 2 years and asking authorized reseller here.. only can buy set cannot airpod only.. ouchhh.battery quality kinda drop fast and left the quickess not equal .

hellosil

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2013
Ordered the new AirPods. Problem solved.
The new ones look great! ?
My gen1 AirPods have the same problem, the batteries are probably worn out.

I must admit it doesn't feel great throwing away a good working case + 2 headphone buds all because only the tiny batteries don't work properly anymore. ♻️?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.