Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChipWebb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2023
I remember an old game I used to play on my Apple 2e in 1985 that was written in Basic. It was a black and white first person game and you were in a dungeon maze. The movement was based on the arrow keys and you could move up, down, left or right to navigate through various rooms in the maze. The graphics were very basic - each time you entered a new room there was a treasure in the center represented by a number or letter and it was guarded by some sort of monster, which was always a letter. I remember a few of the monsters:

I = Imp
D = Dragon
O = Orgre
R = Rogue Dragon

These are a few of the examples - there was actually a lot more of them. when you entered the room, the monster letter would move towards you from the center of the screen and when it came in contact with you your hit points would decrease. If they decreased to 0 then you died. If you were able to kill the monster, then you could take the treasure and then use whatever exits available in the room, thus giving you more access to parts of the maze. I remember that there were MANY rooms in the maze and that some of them had random rest stops where you could buy weapons and food.

I have been trying to figure this one out for a long time. Although it is similar to Alkabeth, it is much less elaborate. The part that I remember for sure was the game play with the monster letters... If anyone remembers this game please let me know what it is!

thank you!

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA

I remember a somewhat early original Mac maze game where you roamed a maze as a round, big, single eyed sphere with a twisted arrow tail. My memory is fuzzy on this, but I think we shot at other players.

A computer store that sold Apple was going out of business I bought every early Apple local network plug-in device and brought them to an Apple user group and a large number of Mac users would haul their Macs in and play against each other. I could be wrong but I think Apple’s early wired network supported 30+ on the same network. We were at capacity of players.
maze1-1339186073.jpeg

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.