Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macintoshplusvancouverbc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2022
Hi everyone, new to this forum and Apple products in general but hoping for some guidance if it's ok to ask.

My grandpa is looking to sell his old Apple setup, but I have no idea how to assess if it's worth anything or how much. I've checked eBay, Craigslist and the usual sites but there's a big range in prices so I'm not sure which to go by. I just feel bad letting my grandpa take the fall.

He has:

- Macintosh Plus M0001A - 1988, with UltraDrive 20 and with the keyboard, original mouse, original cables and original booklets
- ImageWriter II with the sheet feeder attachment, original cables and original booklets
- Some other accessories like an A+ ADB Mouse, original mousepad still in the plastic, original manuals and some '80s games like XOR NFL Challenge

Thanks for any help.

hardon

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2003
UK Kent
Hi everyone, new to this forum and Apple products in general but hoping for some guidance if it's ok to ask.

My grandpa is looking to sell his old Apple setup, but I have no idea how to assess if it's worth anything or how much. I've checked eBay, Craigslist and the usual sites but there's a big range in prices so I'm not sure which to go by. I just feel bad letting my grandpa take the fall.

He has:

- Macintosh Plus M0001A - 1988, with UltraDrive 20 and with the keyboard, original mouse, original cables and original booklets
- ImageWriter II with the sheet feeder attachment, original cables and original booklets
- Some other accessories like an A+ ADB Mouse, original mousepad still in the plastic, original manuals and some '80s games like XOR NFL Challenge

Thanks for any help.
Hi,

Pictures would help, and eBay listings also will start to give an idea of expected returns

H

macintoshplusvancouverbc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2022
Hi,

Pictures would help, and eBay listings also will start to give an idea of expected returns

H

Hi, thank you. Photos are attached. The sheet feeder attachment isn't pictured.

Attachments

• manuals1.jpeg
    manuals1.jpeg
    105.1 KB · Views: 113
  • manuals2.jpeg
    manuals2.jpeg
    101 KB · Views: 109
  • NFLgame.jpeg
    NFLgame.jpeg
    155.7 KB · Views: 86
  • tourdisk1.jpeg
    tourdisk1.jpeg
    33.4 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_3897.jpg
    IMG_3897.jpg
    453.1 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_3888.JPG
    IMG_3888.JPG
    377.3 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_3868.JPG
    IMG_3868.JPG
    454.1 KB · Views: 95

hardon

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2003
UK Kent
Lovely conditions, they have been well looked after.

Couple of hundred bucks/quid for the plus and hard drive, printer 25 bucks/quid

Prices always rise in the autumn, as many spend more time indoors, and fall respectively in the spring and summer due to good weather.

Collectors will need to recap the Mac and drive in order to keep it working,.

another ten years without maintenance and they will be toast.

So the choice is yours, keep them, maintain them? Sell them … wish in ten years you had kept them .

Berenod

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2020
Condition will set the price.
It definitely looks very clean, hardly any yellowing, ...

But in the foto you can see it is not finding any OS (the question mark floppy).
This can have many reason, the hard disk might be faulty, but, just as likely on those machines, you can have capacitor leakages which damaged for example the SCSI circuitry (pretty much worst case, even a BlueSCSI or SCSI2SD won't be usable then).

Machines in that state (starting but not loading an OS) you can find at the 100-120 US$ mark, although usually not in such a clean state as yours.

Problem is that it is very hard to determine wether it is repairable, or that it will be a machine to be used for parts only.

So, to give any guidance on price, you'll need to do some mote testing.
Will it boot from the install floppy, will it then be able to see the hard drive?

Open it up and check the condition of the circuitry, I have seen machines stunningly beautiful on the outside and totally destroyed on the inside.

Does it have per chance a memory upgrade? Also a big plus, you can then install for example System 7.5, which will not be possible with only the standard 1Mb of memory...

If I were you, I would check it out, see what might be broken, and try to have it fixed.
Have it completely recapped, not sure in the US, over here where I live they charge between 50 and 100€ for a full recap.
Document it very well, with good, detailed pictuers, in all working states (so with OS running, a program open, ...).

A fully reconditioned machine with all the extra's like you have can easily fetch between 700 and 1200 US$, so if repairable it can be very well worth the expense and hassle to restore it.

Biggest risk is getting attached to it and then getting stuck with it ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.