Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yorhekin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2018
Reichertshausen
Hello,

I have been using an Epson C1100 color laser printer for nearly 10 years (2000-2010) and I had no problems so far until the photoconductor unit ran low and empty. Since the price for toner + photoconductor unit was very high at that time. I dropped the idea to buy a new photoconductor unit and toner because the price would be as high as to buy a new printer.

However, the prices have dropped for color printer accessories for "old printers" that I am considering to switch from ink to a used color laser printer. There are color printer repair companies who are repairing and selling used printers and printer accessories. You can get a used color laser printer DIN A3 for a price somewhere between 500-700 Euro by now.

I would need an A3 color laser printer for the publication of a book. Using an ink printer is by far not suitable for printing hundreds of pages with lots of graphics and images.

The problem I came across by looking for used and "old" color printers is the fact, that I do not know if the printers are still supported in terms of software for current OS X Versions such as MacOS X Sierra 10.12.6

I can't find any drivers on the web and the App Store has no information at all about Epson or HP or Lexmark or Xerox printer drivers.

Websites such as Epson and HP for example indicated more or less printer drivers for the PPC era of Snow Leopard but there is no information available at all if a printer driver for newer OS X systems are still supported.

It says the OS X System Sierra should download the appropriate driver automatically if I connect the printer to my MacbookPro (Mid 2012).
I upgraded the RAM and replaced the HD with an SSD and I am happy so far if everything works as expected and halfway "stable" without the need to update every month. I have a workstation now I can carry around with me with a huge and fast SSD for an affordable price.

Which used and old color laser printer DIN A3 can you recommend? Has anyone made any experiences so far with printer drivers and "older" color laser printers and OS X Sierra 10.12.6?

I was thinking of a HP Color Laserjet 5550DTN since I need duplex printing for the book publication. However, buying a used printer and finding out by luck if the printer driver and and printer itself still works under Mac OS X Sierra 10.12.6 is

a) very costly
and
b) not funny

Feedback and suggestions would be welcome.

Regards,
Yorh Ekin

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.